Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2021, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by vasantn
Getting back to this: I was able to wangle GLD status for the non-status companion by using my BusinessExtra points that were going to expire unused. So now we have a PLT with 5 stickers (3 got used) and a GLD with 11 stickers on the same PNR. I assume mixing and matching stickers is still permitted at the airport?
This is where it can get tricky, now that your companion has GLD, the system will pull the companion's stickers from their account, and your stickers from your account. So if you need 8 stickers each, you would now need to buy 3 more if your upgrades clear. AFAIK you can't mix and match pulling 5 from your account and 11 from their account.

Also keep in mind the downside of your companion now having GLD status, if it goes to the airport you'll now be split up on the waitlist, with you higher based on your PLT and your companion down with the GLD's.
vasantn likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AFAIK you can't mix and match pulling 5 from your account and 11 from their account..
I know I've been able to do this consistently in the past, but the last time was quite a few years ago.

Also keep in mind the downside of your companion now having GLD status, if it goes to the airport you'll now be split up on the waitlist, with you higher based on your PLT and your companion down with the GLD's.
I've also been successful (again in the distant past) at keeping companions together on the airport upgrade list, after sweet-talking the GA. But sometimes they have insisted that to do that, all the stickers must come out of the higher-status account.

Again, all this is ancient history and things may have tightened up in recent years.

[Edited to add:] Just found a couple of examples from 2017:
Originally Posted by jordyn
That's correct--the change applies to the airport list. However, non-status companions were already grouped together with the elite member for upgrade priority*; the thing that's changing is that elite members with different status will now get grouped together on the airport list.

*As evidence of this, one way to fix the "not grouped together problem" for elite companions is to drop the companion's AAdvantage number from the PNR. This results with the companions being grouped together, but with the stickers needing to come from the higher-status passenger's account.
FWIW, my experience has been the same as cova's. Flying MIA-JFK on January 6 with my goddaughter who is GLD, I was #2 and she was #9 on the list. We were on the same PNR. As usual, a request to the AC agent moved her up to #3, but it was not done automatically. So I have not yet seen a change in how it works.

(Incidentally, after being "encouraged" to take our seats in Y, we were both given last-minute on-board upgrades.)

Last edited by vasantn; Jul 27, 2021 at 7:44 am
Old Jul 27, 2021, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I've also been successful (again in the distant past) at keeping companions together on the airport upgrade list, after sweet-talking the GA. But sometimes they have insisted that to do that, all the stickers must come out of the higher-status account.
Yea this is the key, it's definitely possible to get your companion sorted with you according to your PLT status, but then all stickers must come from your account (which is what you were trying to avoid in the first place by gifting your companion the GLD status). I'm EXP and my GF is PLT, we go through this all the time.
vasantn likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yea this is the key, it's definitely possible to get your companion sorted with you according to your PLT status, but then all stickers must come from your account (which is what you were trying to avoid in the first place by gifting your companion the GLD status). I'm EXP and my GF is PLT, we go through this all the time.
So it seems like it will be a choice between lower airport upgrade priority for the GLD or additional stickers to be purchased by the PLT to include the GLD. As I said, in the past I've been able to sweet-talk my way past both; but given your recent experiences, AA seems to have tightened that up.

F is wide open on all segments so chances are they'll be upgraded at or near T-48, which will solve most of the potential issues.

(All this is actually for a couple who are very good friends of mine, so I won't be there to lend my personal charm and expertise to any processes at the airport. )
Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:12 am

500 mile upgrades when using Alaska MP

I used to have American status and have quite a few leftover 500 mile upgrades. I now have Oneworld Sapphire through Alaska. Is there any way to use my leftover 500 mile upgrades when flying American and inputting my Alaska Mileage Plan number?
Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
No. You need to decide which program you want to reap the benefits of but you cannot use both simultaneously. To use your 500mi upgrades, you'll need to have your AAdvantage number tied to the reservation. Unfortunately, you cannot wait until the upgrade clears and then add your Alaska Mileage Plan number without losing the upgrade.

-FlyerBeek
freeagent and safari ari like this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Upgrades always come from sponsoring Elite?

I am confused, I thought upgrades came from the sponsor's account only if the other person did not have status.
In the info on 2 elites traveling together it seems that also is supposed to happen if both are elite. Is this correct?

From https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...e-upgrades.jsp
2 elite members traveling together
  • You can request an upgrade for 1 elite companion traveling on the same flight; same or separate reservations
  • If your upgrades aren’t cleared before the airport, ask an agent to reconnect you on the priority list (at every departure city)
  • If available, the 500-mile upgrades will be deducted from the sponsor’s account
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
My understanding is the 500 mile certs are always deducted from the sponsor's account, as noted on the web site, even if the one being sponsored also has elite status.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
My understanding is the 500 mile certs are always deducted from the sponsor's account, as noted on the web site, even if the one being sponsored also has elite status.
When my spouse got status, I was told they had to come out of her account, by the TA, so I bought them for her, and that seamed to match what I had read before on FT
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I have found that if you are both elite, if you get upgraded in advance, it comes from the account of each flyer. If you get upgraded at the gate, and you are separated on the list, it also comes from the account of each flyer. If you have the GA update the list so that the lower status person inherits the higher status person's status, then everything comes from the higher status person's account.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I have found that if you are both elite, if you get upgraded in advance, it comes from the account of each flyer. If you get upgraded at the gate, and you are separated on the list, it also comes from the account of each flyer. If you have the GA update the list so that the lower status person inherits the higher status person's status, then everything comes from the higher status person's account.
Which matches what aa.com says. If being upgraded on one's own status, then there is no sponsor, per se. However, if inheriting someone else's higher status, then there is a sponsor.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I thought if sponsored, at the gate or in advance didn’t matter. If not sponsored, the passengers account, if sponsored, the sponsors account.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 11:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
One wrinkle to this (that I have painfully experienced twice recently) occurs is when a lower status elite is traveling with a higher status elite and the lower status elite is upgraded as a companion to the higher status elite. In that case, the system will still try to take certs from each individual account even though the lower status elite is being upgraded as just a companion.

The painful part of this is that if the lower status elite does not have enough certs to cover the upgrade in this situation than that entire itinerary will not be allowed to check-in via the app or web and you must check-in at the counter at which point the counter-agent has to manually take all of the certs from the higher level elite's account. You used to able to call in and have a CSR remove the certs (by removing the lower status elite's Aavantage #) but from recent my experience that is supposedly no longer possible.

This is a long way of saying that if two elites are traveling together, you are hoping to use the higher status elite to snag upgrades for both travelers and the lower status elite does not have enough certs you should either: A) remove the lower status elites Aadvantage # prior to the upgrade window and then add it back after checking in or B) block out some extra time to check in manually at the airport and realize that many counter agents are not familiar with this so it make take 10-15 mins of extra work before you are on your way. C) buy enough certs for the lower status elite account

It should be pointed out that this issue is only for upgrades granted prior to check-in. If you get a gate upgrade in a similar situation, the gate agents have much more experience dealing with this issue and apparently have a lot more flexibility within the gate/boarding management system to sort this situation out quickly.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BillBurn
One wrinkle to this (that I have painfully experienced twice recently) occurs is when a lower status elite is traveling with a higher status elite and the lower status elite is upgraded as a companion to the higher status elite. In that case, the system will still try to take certs from each individual account even though the lower status elite is being upgraded as just a companion.

The painful part of this is that if the lower status elite does not have enough certs to cover the upgrade in this situation than that entire itinerary will not be allowed to check-in via the app or web and you must check-in at the counter at which point the counter-agent has to manually take all of the certs from the higher level elite's account. You used to able to call in and have a CSR remove the certs (by removing the lower status elite's Aavantage #) but from recent my experience that is supposedly no longer possible.

This is a long way of saying that if two elites are traveling together, you are hoping to use the higher status elite to snag upgrades for both travelers and the lower status elite does not have enough certs you should either: A) remove the lower status elites Aadvantage # prior to the upgrade window and then add it back after checking in or B) block out some extra time to check in manually at the airport and realize that many counter agents are not familiar with this so it make take 10-15 mins of extra work before you are on your way. C) buy enough certs for the lower status elite account

It should be pointed out that this issue is only for upgrades granted prior to check-in. If you get a gate upgrade in a similar situation, the gate agents have much more experience dealing with this issue and apparently have a lot more flexibility within the gate/boarding management system to sort this situation out quickly.
Best and most correct explanation yet. Should be required reading for phone agents!
Old Sep 5, 2021, 5:46 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
So we checked in yesterday not having cleared our upgrade at the 48 hrs mark, hubby is plat and i am gold. This morning we wake up and our upgrade has been confirmedg midnight last night...BUT I have an assigned seat and hubby does not. He got confirm emial as well but now the system has unchecked him in. Anybody knows what happens at airport??? We at this point probably lost our MCE seats, the plane is pretty full. It's an international flight from Aruba.....
Eta- we all have enough certs in our account to upgrade and mine have been taken from my account already

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.