Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to call AA 800 / toll free numbers from overseas (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to call AA 800 / toll free numbers from overseas (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:28 am
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
I use skype, or vonage, or my work soft phone.
cellphone is another expensive choice but works
if you don't have internet, nor cellphone, just follow the instructions on this thread on how to dial using a phone card or get the non 1-800 number from AA.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by KVS
The AT&T Direct access number for Ghana (0191) will only work from a landline in that country (at no charge).

You can dial +1 817 963-1234 from a mobile phone anywhere in the world (regular charges for calls to the US will apply).

There is something I quite do not understand on this thread.

If you are using your mobile phone overseas, no matter what number you call, the roaming charge is the same, whether you call a local number or a US number.

Having said that, if you dial +1 817 etc, costs the same as dialing +1-800-843-3000. Yes, you can dial an 800 number from overseas, it won't be free but it can be dialed. So why not dial directly the 800 number instead of that 817 and probably several prompts more? (that's the part I do not get)

I have dialed +1-800-843-3000 with my cell phone from overseas MULTIPLE times.

[And by the way, it does not matter what number you dial, you will always get through the correct routing once you input your Aadvantage Number. When I was EXP, I always called the PLAT number (cause I know it by heart) and my call was always routed to the EXP agents. When I was Gold, I tried to use the EXP number but then my call got re-reouted and I did not get the actual EXP desk]
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:32 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by carlosdca
So why not dial directly the 800 number instead of that 817 and probably several prompts more? (that's the part I do not get)
A call to a toll-free (e.g. +1 800) number from outside US/CA may or may not go through (depending on the network/telecom carrier(s) involved).
Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Calling from Finland, I always call the 1-800 number which is at the back of my AA card.

The automated voice tells me something like, "The call may not be toll free if dialed from outside the United States. If you do not want to be charged, please hang up now." and then connetcs you normally.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by scubadu
Truth be told, and apparently contrary to popular belief, there probably isn't an EXP "Desk" either...

Regards
And you have some kind of information to support that claim?

Seeing as I'm actually EXP, and have been for many years, if there is no EXP desk that would mean I'm on an incredible statistical ride given that 50% or more of the times I call the EXP desk, I know the agent and they know me so somehow I keep getting the same few dozen people out of all the thousands and thousands of phone agents at AA.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 7:24 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by carlosdca

If you are using your mobile phone overseas, no matter what number you call, the roaming charge is the same, whether you call a local number or a US number.
nope if you are overseas and you dial a US number you will be charge the roaming fee PLUS the long distance charge.

if you dial a local lumber you just get the local roaming fee.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by wpj
nope if you are overseas and you dial a US number you will be charge the roaming fee PLUS the long distance charge.

if you dial a local lumber you just get the local roaming fee.
Nope.

At least with T-mobile and ATT if I am in Paris and I call the US, Israel or Paris itself the only charge is the roaming charge, no long distance charges when calling from overseas for both phone companies (I have service with both). That's how I've seen it in my phone bills and just confirmed it again over the phone with ATT and T-mobile. Don't know about Sprint or Verizon.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:23 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I just call the 800 EXP line using Skype. There is no per minute charge showing for these calls using Skype from Taiwan.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:41 am

Programs: AA PLT 1.973M
What is the non-800 number for the PLT Service Desk

I have been trying to find the answer in several of the threads!

I live in México and travel to several countries in Latinamerica. The 800 number for the PLT service desk is not reachable from here. Does anyone know the non-800 number?

Thanks
Old May 17, 2011, 10:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
AA.com lists the non-US AAdvantage Customer Service number as +1-817-799-2500. It also suggests that the worldwide reservations numbers for your country can also be used; the only Mexico local number is 5209-1400 (Mexico DF number). I don't believe there is a Mexican number specifically for the Platinum line.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: UA, AA
Here are the various numbers listed on the back of an AA Platinum membership card.

In the US and Canada 1-800-843-3000
Argentina 4318-1111
Brazil 0300-789-7778
Ecuador 02-299-5000
France 0-805-109-292
Japan 03-3298-7677
United Kingdom 0808-238-9847

From other locations, call the local American Airlines reservations number or go to www.aa.com/attassist
The wiki also provides some contact info.
Old May 17, 2011, 11:10 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by fjovel
I have been trying to find the answer in several of the threads!

I live in México and travel to several countries in Latinamerica. The 800 number for the PLT service desk is not reachable from here. Does anyone know the non-800 number?

Thanks

Although the title would suggest otherwise, this thread is a good home for your question and I've merged it here. There is some info that may be helpful at the bottom of the Contacting AA page in the wiki:

If you need to call from outside the U.S. and get to 24-hour reservations, dial 1-817-963-1234, the main number for AMR headquarters. A human or IVR will answer and you can then transfer to Reservations or Customer Service.

Toll-free numbers previously mapped onto area codes accessible from outside the U.S. as follows: 800 --> 881, 888 --> 882, 877 --> 883. Thus, an 800 number could be reached by replacing the 800 with 881. These area codes have subsequently been recovered for future use, but this trick may still work in certain countries for certain numbers.
/Moderator
Old May 17, 2011, 11:56 am

Skype is the best way to call any 800 number in the US, and it is a free call, too!
Old May 17, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by Carolinian
Skype is the best way to call any 800 number in the US, and it is a free call, too!
Agree, I have done this multiple times, when abroad, I use skype to call Platinum 800 number in the US. Great quality and free!
Old May 29, 2011, 6:01 am

Contacting AA from France

We are in France. Used AA miles to book on BA. Have been trying to reach AA at # for France. Put on hold and the Euros run as fast as the meter on the gasoline pump in US. Tried to email but got form letter in reply.
Trying to make slight change in first leg of return, Nice to LHR.
BA will not talk to me as everything must go thru AA.
Anyone have any suggestions.
The return is not until next Saturday.
Thanks,
bob

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.