Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Discrepancy between QF and CX award search and AA availability

Discrepancy between QF and CX award search and AA availability

Old May 24, 2011, 6:25 pm
  #76  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,894
Okay, I had two different agents tell me that they could only see 1 First award seat available on HKG-SFO when BA tool shows 2 available. I don't have KVS to verify this, but the second agent lectured me not to waste my time on BA award availability search...

I was hoping to return to SFO a bit early so that I can actually have chance to visit Hawaii (nice UA/CO fare for October) with my wife before coming back to Montreal. Looks like this ain't going to happen.
brahms77 is offline  
Old May 24, 2011, 6:28 pm
  #77  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA, BA, UAL, DL
Posts: 67
Originally Posted by brahms77
Okay, I had two different agents tell me that they could only see 1 First award seat available on HKG-SFO when BA tool shows 2 available. I don't have KVS to verify this, but the second agent lectured me not to waste my time on BA award availability search...

I was hoping to return to SFO a bit early so that I can actually have chance to visit Hawaii (nice UA/CO fare for October) with my wife before coming back to Montreal. Looks like this ain't going to happen.

What date?
tslugmo is offline  
Old May 24, 2011, 7:01 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,894
Originally Posted by tslugmo
What date?
October 21st. HKG-SFO (flight that leaves at 2PM or so).
brahms77 is offline  
Old May 24, 2011, 7:27 pm
  #79  
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 12,949
Arrow

Originally Posted by brahms77
Okay, I had two different agents tell me that they could only see 1 First award seat available on HKG-SFO when BA tool shows 2 available. I don't have KVS to verify this, but the second agent lectured me not to waste my time on BA award availability search...
Originally Posted by brahms77
October 21st. HKG-SFO (flight that leaves at 2PM or so).
That F award seat is definitely available:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.1.6/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/CX]
Code:
HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
SFO  San Francisco Intl CA US [KSFO]
FRI  21 Oct 2011 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
CX         872     HKG   00:30     SFO   22:00 -1  744  0   FS+  CS@  YS+
CX         870     HKG   14:05     SFO   11:35     744  0   FS+  CS@  YS+
[KVS Availability Tool 6.1.6/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/OneWorld/AU-QFA-SP1]
Code:
HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
SFO  San Francisco Intl CA US [KSFO]
FRI  21 Oct 2011 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
CX         872     HKG   00:30     SFO   22:00 -1  744      FS+  CS+  YS+
CX         870     HKG   14:05     SFO   11:35     744      FS+  CS-  YS-
CX         806     HKG   11:45     ORD   13:45     773      FS+  CS-  YS-
 -> AA     1835    ORD   16:10     SFO   18:35     738
[KVS Availability Tool 6.1.6/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/BA-OneWorld]
Code:
HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
SFO  San Francisco Intl CA US [KSFO]
FRI  21 Oct 2011 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive         St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
CX         872     HKG   00:30     SFO   22:00 -1           FS1  CS1  YS1
CX         870     HKG   14:05     SFO   11:35              FS2
CX         542     HKG   16:15     HND   21:35              YS+
 -> JL     2       HND   00:05 +1  SFO   17:10              YS2
JL         736     HKG   10:45     NRT   16:05              YS1
 -> JL     2       HND   00:05 +1  SFO   17:10              YS2
CX         520     HKG   10:35     NRT   15:55              YS+
 -> JL     2       HND   00:05 +1  SFO   17:10              YS2
CX         450     HKG   10:00     NRT   17:10              YS+
 -> JL     2       HND   00:05 +1  SFO   17:10              YS2
CX         504     HKG   09:10     NRT   14:35              YS+
 -> JL     2       HND   00:05 +1  SFO   17:10              YS2
KVS is offline  
Old May 24, 2011, 8:13 pm
  #80  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Posts: 474
As is being discussed in another thread, you might want to verify what inventory codes the AAgent is looking at. Sometimes they may be looking at the wrong code...
azmojo is offline  
Old May 25, 2011, 8:00 am
  #81  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: bay area, ca
Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,842
Originally Posted by brahms77
Okay, I had two different agents tell me that they could only see 1 First award seat available on HKG-SFO when BA tool shows 2 available. I don't have KVS to verify this, but the second agent lectured me not to waste my time on BA award availability search...

I was hoping to return to SFO a bit early so that I can actually have chance to visit Hawaii (nice UA/CO fare for October) with my wife before coming back to Montreal. Looks like this ain't going to happen.
Did you ask them to try to select the seats one at a time? In my experience, this works well.
TheBeerHunter is offline  
Old May 25, 2011, 11:30 am
  #82  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,320
Only seeing one now available on both flights, so perhaps he was able to successfully grab the seats:

Code:
04741128THAY PACIFIC **                  149 FR 21OCT         
  *HKG DEP/ARR AT TERM 1 / US TWOV SUSPENDED *                
  *WEIGHT LIMITED TO 32KGS PER BAG FOR SAFETY REASON*         
21  CX 872   Z1  UL  X1          HKG SFO 0030    2200-1  0 74A
22  CX 870   Z1  UL  XL          HKG SFO 1405    1135    0 74A
denCSA is offline  
Old May 25, 2011, 12:42 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,894
Originally Posted by denCSA
Only seeing one now available on both flights, so perhaps he was able to successfully grab the seats:

Code:
04741128THAY PACIFIC **                  149 FR 21OCT         
  *HKG DEP/ARR AT TERM 1 / US TWOV SUSPENDED *                
  *WEIGHT LIMITED TO 32KGS PER BAG FOR SAFETY REASON*         
21  CX 872   Z1  UL  X1          HKG SFO 0030    2200-1  0 74A
22  CX 870   Z1  UL  XL          HKG SFO 1405    1135    0 74A
Unfortunately, that wasn't me. BA showed 2 seats about 30 minutes ago and I just called the agent said just one seat. Oh well. I may have to plan the Hawaii trip a bit later. Not so critical, but it was certainly most odd to hear the agent say only 1 seat available when BA and KVS tool showed 2 seats. I even called after you guys posted the replies and was flat out denied.

Nonetheless, the first agent was the most appalling one (the one who lectured to me about not needing to 'waste' my time on BA tool).
brahms77 is offline  
Old May 25, 2011, 9:57 pm
  #84  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SEA
Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 4,859
Is there an automated service like Expert Flyer that will provide alerts for award availability on CX? I currently have two tickets booked on CX for F to HKG in October but one is the day after the first. I'd like to get them both on the same day if possible and don't want to have to call up AA each day (or check a website) to see if availability comes up. I'd much prefer to setup an alert for it. Anyone offer that for CX?
mikelat is offline  
Old May 26, 2011, 4:57 pm
  #85  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,894
Does this sound feasible to you?

So, someone at the CX forum reported that AA agent told him that AA allows only specific number of award seats to be redeemed on its partner's flight (i.e. there is a cap of, say, 2 F award per flight). So, this suggests that if another AA FF redeemed a F award on HKG-SFO flight I want to switch to (and BA and KVS shows 2 available), despite the results from BA and KVS, AA agent can only see 1 award space available for that flight. I guess this explains why I can't book 2 seats on the HKG-SFO flight that I want to switch to in October when BA and KVS both show 2 x F award!

If true, this means, even with subsequent award seat release by CX or AA's partner, if some AA FF redeemed award on that particular flight and award quota has reached for AA, AA agent will see it as not available.

Do you guys this this 'theory' makes sense and seem like what AA is practicing in respect to partner award redemption?
brahms77 is offline  
Old May 26, 2011, 6:07 pm
  #86  
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 12,949
Arrow

Originally Posted by brahms77
If true, this means, even with subsequent award seat release by CX or AA's partner, if some AA FF redeemed award on that particular flight and award quota has reached for AA, AA agent will see it as not available.
No, it is not true.

CX's & QF's systems are now also confirming that 2 F Award Seats are Available:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.1.6/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/CX]
Code:
HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
SFO  San Francisco Intl CA US [KSFO]
FRI  21 Oct 2011 | 2 Seats

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
CX         872     HKG   00:30     SFO   22:00 -1  744  0   FS/  CS@  YS+
CX         870     HKG   14:05     SFO   11:35     744  0   FS+  CS@  YS+
[KVS Availability Tool 6.1.6/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/OneWorld/AU-QFA-SP1]
Code:
HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
SFO  San Francisco Intl CA US [KSFO]
FRI  21 Oct 2011 | 2 Seats

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
CX         872     HKG   00:30     SFO   22:00 -1  744      FS-  CS+
CX         870     HKG   14:05     SFO   11:35     744      FS+  CS-
KVS is offline  
Old May 26, 2011, 7:31 pm
  #87  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,894
Well, looks like there definitely is a discrepancy between AA's system and BA and other tools for the CX award. I called again about this, but the agent said only one seat on the 2:05PM flight. I asked her to grab that one seat and put it on hold and try to see if another seat come up in her system... but that didn't work either. So, AA can only see just one seat.


Originally Posted by KVS
No, it is not true.

CX's & QF's systems are now also confirming that 2 F Award Seats are Available:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.1.6/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/CX]
Code:
HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
SFO  San Francisco Intl CA US [KSFO]
FRI  21 Oct 2011 | 2 Seats

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
CX         872     HKG   00:30     SFO   22:00 -1  744  0   FS/  CS@  YS+
CX         870     HKG   14:05     SFO   11:35     744  0   FS+  CS@  YS+
[KVS Availability Tool 6.1.6/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards/OneWorld/AU-QFA-SP1]
Code:
HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
SFO  San Francisco Intl CA US [KSFO]
FRI  21 Oct 2011 | 2 Seats

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
CX         872     HKG   00:30     SFO   22:00 -1  744      FS-  CS+
CX         870     HKG   14:05     SFO   11:35     744      FS+  CS-
brahms77 is offline  
Old May 26, 2011, 7:37 pm
  #88  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,861
Originally Posted by brahms77
Well, looks like there definitely is a discrepancy between AA's system and BA and other tools for the CX award. I called again about this, but the agent said only one seat on the 2:05PM flight. I asked her to grab that one seat and put it on hold and try to see if another seat come up in her system... but that didn't work either. So, AA can only see just one seat.
Refer to question #32 here:
http://www.kvstool.com/FAQ.php?Source=SD-FAQ#FAQ
Austinrunner is offline  
Old May 28, 2011, 3:46 pm
  #89  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Posts: 1,491
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Same thing happened to me two weeks ago. After consulting this thread and getting some advice from KVS, I made about four or five calls until I found an AA agent who knew what she was doing and made the extra effort to get the two F awards on CX I was looking for. I was looking for two seats, and initally she said they were there, but one kept vanishing. She ended up being able to secure two award seats in F. But four prior agents I spoke to were not able to "see" or find the same seats.
SFOTurtle is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2011, 4:11 pm
  #90  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Posts: 8,939
Originally Posted by mikelat
Is there an automated service like Expert Flyer that will provide alerts for award availability on CX? I currently have two tickets booked on CX for F to HKG in October but one is the day after the first. I'd like to get them both on the same day if possible and don't want to have to call up AA each day (or check a website) to see if availability comes up. I'd much prefer to setup an alert for it. Anyone offer that for CX?
I signed up for AsiaMiles just to be able to search for award availability. I notice that when it shows no award seats for a desired flight, it offers to wait-list you. I tried this for an upcoming trip, but because I have zero miles (since I credit all my flying to AA), I don't know what happens if they release more space -- will they email to let me know it's available, or will they try to clear me, see I don't have the miles, and just cancel my request with no email?

Originally Posted by brahms77
Well, looks like there definitely is a discrepancy between AA's system and BA and other tools for the CX award.
I've run into this with some desired flights -- AsiaMiles shows availability for a flight, but AA says they don't see it.
anabolism is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.