Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Discrepancy between QF and CX award search and AA availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discrepancy between QF and CX award search and AA availability

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2010, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by billgrates3
not true, AA blocks BA availability all the time
That has not been my experience. Of course, at the moment, until ATI kicks in, you cannot redeem TATL BA flights using AA miles, but that is a published policy, not the selective blocking that I was referring to in my original post.

Originally Posted by tt7
What evidence is there to support that assertion?
I would like to know as well.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 5:30 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by i_fly_AA
That's a good point. If it's a Jetstar flight, then I, too, think that you can't redeem AA miles. If you look at aa.com, you'll see that Jetstar is NOT listed as one of the affiliates of QF.

In addition to the suggestion above, you can try and route via Asia (such as HGK or NRT) but that will require extra miles.
You can book Jetstar. I was able to book HBA-MEL for Jan using miles. the ticket came through on paper (AA said they can ticket Jetstar with miles but, only on paper). The ticket showed as QF operated by Jetstar so a code share as well.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
???

Could you be more specific here? The only instance I can think of: TATL redemptions - but that isn't AA 'blocking' award availability.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by tt7
What evidence is there to support that assertion?
+1
Old Aug 26, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by bdemaria
???

Could you be more specific here? The only instance I can think of: TATL redemptions - but that isn't AA 'blocking' award availability.
I have many times used BA's website to search for award availability, then checked with AA's EXP desk to see if the same BA flights were available for AA award redemption as part of itineraries originating SFO (inside Europe, or from LHR to NBO) and there has NEVER (at least when I have called AA) been a match between AA and BA availability. I've always known about the BA TATL issue, and that is not the point here.... although I certainly hope, hope, hope that I'll be able to take the direct BA SFO-LHR flights under new ATI rules and get miles/EQM for them!

result - i have many times not been able to take Mrs.G3 with me on business trips to EU or Africa, due to lack of BA availability, as she won't let me spend $ instead of miles.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I have many times used BA's website to search for award availability, then checked with AA's EXP desk to see if the same BA flights were available for AA award redemption as part of itineraries originating SFO (inside Europe, or from LHR to NBO) and there has NEVER (at least when I have called AA) been a match between AA and BA availability. I've always known about the BA TATL issue, and that is not the point here.... although I certainly hope, hope, hope that I'll be able to take the direct BA SFO-LHR flights under new ATI rules and get miles/EQM for them!

result - i have many times not been able to take Mrs.G3 with me on business trips to EU or Africa, due to lack of BA availability, as she won't let me spend $ instead of miles.
How do you know that is AA blocking vs. BA not releasing to partners?

The proof on UA Starnet blocking is Star Alliance Partner A has award seats available on Star Alliance Partner B but UA doesn't.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 3:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
IME, AA does not block partner award availability, unlike some other sleazy airline:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-blocking.html
Old Aug 26, 2010, 3:24 pm
tt7

I have many times used BA's website to search for award availability, then checked with AA's EXP desk to see if the same BA flights were available for AA award redemption as part of itineraries originating SFO (inside Europe, or from LHR to NBO) and there has NEVER (at least when I have called AA) been a match between AA and BA availability.
I have no empirical evidence one way or the other but I don't know why AA would want to 'block' award availability on other airlines, particularly on routes it doesn't fly (such as LHR - NBO). Perhaps the price BA wants from AA for that seat is more than AA is willing to pay but I doubt it. I suspect that it is far more likely that the AA agent just can't 'see' the flights you want. Over the years, I've seen various anecdotal evidence regarding the difficulty of getting AA to be able to find available award seats on other airlines. FWIW, I had 2 experiences of it last year, which are discussed in this thread.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 5:34 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
I'm sure this is a function of my own understanding versus AA being "evil", but I was trying to book a pair of 1st class tickets on CX from ATL leaving Jan 28, 2011 +/-. KVS (using QF information) said 2 seats were available ex-JFK on at least a couple of those days and there were seats ex-LAX. However, the AAdvantage desk could only come up with 0 or 1 seat on those flights.

So, what's going on?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 7:11 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by emma dog
... I was trying to book a pair of 1st class tickets on CX from ATL leaving Jan 28, 2011 +/-. KVS (using QF information) said 2 seats were available ex-JFK on at least a couple of those days and there were seats ex-LAX.
To where? Hong Kong?
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:22 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
I've used AA miles down under 2 times and NEVER scored QF awards seats - and I usually search daily...so here I am once again looking at my 3rd time going down under and still NO availability. It must be a miracle to find theses seats I use the KVS tool too for F or J availability.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by JHIN
I've used AA miles down under 2 times and NEVER scored QF awards seats - and I usually search daily...so here I am once again looking at my 3rd time going down under and still NO availability. It must be a miracle to find theses seats I use the KVS tool too for F or J availability.
For F or J you basically need to book 330 days out, or in the off season within a month or so as someone sometimes cancels an award seat.

Some people get lucky though . . .
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA-Plt/Lifetime Gold;Marriott-Plt Prem;Hilton-Dia;Hertz-Pres Cir
Originally Posted by atsak
For F or J you basically need to book 330 days out, or in the off season within a month or so as someone sometimes cancels an award seat.

Some people get lucky though . . .
Had to book my award seats in March 2010 for a Jan 2011 trip. Was able to get First/Bus all the way there and back.

SJ
Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
expert flyer shows Qantas, but not AA

expertflyer is showing availability on a qantas flight from dfw to syd, but when i call AA, they dont see availability. Does qantas only release a certain amount of seats to AA, and holds the rest for their own FF program?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:52 pm
tt7

Are you talking about award seats? If so, it would be helpful to say so.

QF uses Amadeus, in which inventory is loaded 355 days out. AA uses Sabre, in which inventory is loaded 330 days out. Thus, QF flyers always have a 25-day head start on available award seats. As you don't say what date you're looking at, it's impossible to know if that is the reason.

I'm not aware of any evidence that either AA or QF limits the number of seats available to AA flyers (compared with what is available to QF flyers). However, there have certainly been instances of AA agents being unable to 'see' available seats on QF. All you can do is tell them to keep looking or call back and try a different agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.