Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Buying Higher Class of Service Than Ticketed
"Effective December 19, 2012, AA will waive the ticket change charge if customer purchases into a higher cabin (business or first), regardless of booking inventory, on the same routing/same day*. For example, no changes to origin/destination except the change to cabin/flight time is allowed with no ticket change charge. Customer would be responsible for paying the difference in fares. The non-refundable portion of the ticket remains non-refundable and would be handled internally by Refunds when necessary."

- AA Revenue Tickets, Ticket Change

Unlike an upgrade, earnings in EQM etc. should be for the new fare.
*This includes co-terminals as allowed in the detailed fare rules or elsewhere.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There is no change fee (just the fare difference) to switch to a higher cabin (see below.) But it sounds like the OP might be combining/confusing a few different things.

\
Print Wikipost

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Glad that it worked out for you! I'd grab F for that difference as well without a second thought.
and suddenly that upfare doesn’t seem as good as it first did. From the BA forum, it appears that the SAN and PHX flights are switching terminals at LHR as of Oct 27 this year. SAN is switching to T3 and the PHX flight is moving in the other direction and will now use T5. That means that as I’m flying to SAN out of T3 in Jan, that there is no first wing check in and no Concorde Room lounge I guess I’ll have to make do with the CX F lounge instead. And to really rub salt in the wound, PHX is switching to a 787 and SAN is getting the crappy 52 seat Mid-J 747 from the PHX route. The Mid-J aircraft have all been refurbed, but no WiFi on any of them and about half the fleet still have the awful IFE installed.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I have a basic economy ticket (fare code B) for PHL-LAS-LAX. Can I upfare this to standard economy with no change fee? Can I upfare it to standard economy with a change fee?

The purpose would be to increase the EQD of the ticket to help meet status challenge EQD requirements. I need about $200 more. The fare difference to first class is more than $500 and not worth it to me.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by jbeckett
I have a basic economy ticket (fare code B) for PHL-LAS-LAX. Can I upfare this to standard economy with no change fee? Can I upfare it to standard economy with a change fee?

The purpose would be to increase the EQD of the ticket to help meet status challenge EQD requirements. I need about $200 more. The fare difference to first class is more than $500 and not worth it to me.
Correct, no change fee when upfaring. Even with it's just a more expensive fare bucket in economy.

If agent says there is, ask them to consult the help/fare desk regarding "upsell or upfaring".
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jtav559
Correct, no change fee when upfaring. Even with it's just a more expensive fare bucket in economy.

If agent says there is, ask them to consult the help/fare desk regarding "upsell or upfaring".
My understanding is that the waiver of a change fee only applies when upgrading to a higher class of service.
JonNYC and enpremiere like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jtav559

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
My understanding is that the waiver of a change fee only applies when upgrading to a higher class of service.
Thanks for the replies. If I decide to go through with the challenge, I'll come back and let you know how it works for me.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Interesting..... I have had 2 tickets in the last year that I bought up into a higher fare bucket (still in Economy) and no change fee was charged. Just the fare difference.

Originally Posted by jbeckett
Thanks for the replies. If I decide to go through with the challenge, I'll come back and let you know how it works for me.
Yes, please do!
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
So I am a bit confused. I do not recall ever upfaing to a same day but different flight but did so today for the first time. I called to change to an earlier flight and upfare to first. I specifically asked the agent if there would be a change fee as I am moving times, she stated only if the date changes. I have a corp discount so she transfered me, typically the CK agents see the process through, the meeting service agent also told me no change fee and it would be $299. Finished, al set, the charge comes through for $499. Called the CK line and another agent says there is a change fee if you move times but agress to refund me the $200 as I was incorrectly informed. The Wiki says...

Effective December 19, 2012, AA will waive the ticket change charge if customer purchases into a higher cabin (business or first), regardless of booking inventory, on the same routing/same day*. For example, no changes to origin/destination except the change to cabin/flight time is allowed with no ticket change charge. Customer would be responsible for paying the difference in fares. The non-refundable portion of the ticket remains non-refundable and would be handled internally by Refunds when necessary."

Anyone know the official answer? Can you upfare the same day, same Dep/Arr but switch to a different time with no change fee only fare difference?

Thanks.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JSSAUCE
So I am a bit confused. I do not recall ever upfaing to a same day but different flight but did so today for the first time. I called to change to an earlier flight and upfare to first. I specifically asked the agent if there would be a change fee as I am moving times, she stated only if the date changes. I have a corp discount so she transfered me, typically the CK agents see the process through, the meeting service agent also told me no change fee and it would be $299. Finished, al set, the charge comes through for $499. Called the CK line and another agent says there is a change fee if you move times but agress to refund me the $200 as I was incorrectly informed. The Wiki says...

Effective December 19, 2012, AA will waive the ticket change charge if customer purchases into a higher cabin (business or first), regardless of booking inventory, on the same routing/same day*. For example, no changes to origin/destination except the change to cabin/flight time is allowed with no ticket change charge. Customer would be responsible for paying the difference in fares. The non-refundable portion of the ticket remains non-refundable and would be handled internally by Refunds when necessary."

Anyone know the official answer? Can you upfare the same day, same Dep/Arr but switch to a different time with no change fee only fare difference?

Thanks.
Unless there's some weird stuff with the corp discount (wouldn't tend to think so, but an area I know nothing about) or whatever, policy is you can switch, fee-free, to different time.
GTITAN likes this.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jul 5, 2019 at 12:16 pm
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
Unless there's some weird stuff with the corp discount (wouldn't tend to think so, but an area I know nothing about) or whatever, policy is you can switch, fee-free, to different time.
Thank you! It's all fixed now but I did just now HUCA and received the original information no change fee if same route new times, corp discount or not. The whole original call was weird. I did not originall post this but when she transfered me to meeting services we were almost done and she tells a super cheap price and talks about a different flight?? She had pulled up my 1st of 4 flights for the week, on a record i already had a comp upgrade. It was all messed up from the beginning. I will just chalk it up to that.
JonNYC and GTITAN like this.

Last edited by JSSAUCE; Jul 5, 2019 at 12:22 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by JSSAUCE
Thank you! It's all fixed now but I did just now HUCA and received the original information no change fee if same route new times, corp discount or not. The whole original call was weird. I did not originall post this but when she transfered me to meeting services we were almost done and she tells a super cheap price and talks about a different flight?? She had pulled up my 1st of 4 flights for the week, on a record i already had a comp upgrade. It was all messed up from the beginning. I will just chalk it up to that.
FWIW, I have had the same experience with upfare when I wanted to upfare to "I" from coach but to do so needed to move my flight times. Had many agents tell me that if I switched times that I'd have to pay a change fee with the upfare (was not requesting date or O/D changes). Employed HUCA until I got to an agent that would do it. It is yet another problem with consistency of agents knowing the rules inside the AA system. Glad it worked though!

Safe Travels
JSSAUCE likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
What about a routing change with upfare (same O/D)? I made this type of upfare to a (work booked trip requiring me to call meeting services) in March and they initially wanted to charge the $200 change fee. I balked mentioning I thought I didn't need to pay it and the agent kindly called "someone" and got it waived for being EXP.

​​​​​
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
What about a routing change with upfare (same O/D)? I made this type of upfare to a (work booked trip requiring me to call meeting services) in March and they initially wanted to charge the $200 change fee. I balked mentioning I thought I didn't need to pay it and the agent kindly called "someone" and got it waived for being EXP.

​​​​​
Yes, I had an agent once tell me that they could do upfare with changing routing provided O/D stayed the same on a particular itinerary. I then tried to it again on another itinerary with another agent and was told no. The rules permit it, but many agents are not aware of it.

Safe Travels
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iadisgreat

​​​​​
Yes, connection point change is allowed as part of the policy.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Yes, connection point change is allowed as part of the policy.
Thank you sir!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
Had a tough one today. Long story short, traveling sunday AUS-DFW-MIA-SJU. I have a remnant paper voucher and saw that the fare difference on the outbound was less than the voucher amount, so I decided to upfare. I called the PPro line and the agent said within 14 days they cannot use a voucher for upfare payment. I mentioned that I had no problem running down to the airport today, but she was firm. I tried the HUCA method. The second agent said there was no way to hold the reservation (so that the fare would still be available when I got to the airport) and no way for her to indicate a voucher payment due to the 14-day window. I tried HUCA one more time, just trying to get the upfare held, to no avail. Off to the airport I went.

The agent at the desk was confused by what I wanted to do, thinking I had held (versus purchased) my ticket in Y and simply wanted to create an all-new ticket in F. I explained the upfare and that I do it on the phone all the time, but she declined to assist. I asked for a supervisor and again they didn't seem to understand upfare. She explained that I could use the voucher to buy 500-mile upgrades, and I chuckled...I have 23 of them, but as a PPro I don't need them. No matter what I said, she kept trying to upGRADE me, and I said no, I want to PAY for first-class, and I want to use the voucher to do so.

Ultimately, she called ticketing (reservations?) and asked, and was then transferred to the PPro help desk, and then to someone else (perhaps system help desk?) The whole process took about an hour and a half, but was able to be completed...no change fee and they didn't charge me the $35 ATO ticketing fee. That said, I have a couple of questions, in the case that I find myself in a similar situation:

1) Is it not possible for the reservations (phone) agent to hold an upfare?
2) Is it not possible for the reservations agent to ticket an upfare, showing the voucher as the payment type and go to the airport same day?
3) Why doesn't the front-line staff understand the difference between upGRADE and upFARE? Is there another term they are more familiar with?
4) What could I have done differently to make this situation easier or less complex?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.