Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Buying Higher Class of Service Than Ticketed
"Effective December 19, 2012, AA will waive the ticket change charge if customer purchases into a higher cabin (business or first), regardless of booking inventory, on the same routing/same day*. For example, no changes to origin/destination except the change to cabin/flight time is allowed with no ticket change charge. Customer would be responsible for paying the difference in fares. The non-refundable portion of the ticket remains non-refundable and would be handled internally by Refunds when necessary."

- AA Revenue Tickets, Ticket Change

Unlike an upgrade, earnings in EQM etc. should be for the new fare.
*This includes co-terminals as allowed in the detailed fare rules or elsewhere.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There is no change fee (just the fare difference) to switch to a higher cabin (see below.) But it sounds like the OP might be combining/confusing a few different things.

\
Print Wikipost

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nomorepretzels
...told them that I wanted to "sell up".

...My lucky day, I guess.
Plus, it's been tough to pin down the correct term up until recently, so, using the exact, current policy name undoubtedly helped.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:17 pm

I have purchased a ticket through my corporate travel agent, so i need to work with them to do any changes to the ticket (as the new fare can be charged to the company). Does the "sell up" policy exist with them as well, or is the fee-free upfare available only to tickets that AA controls? Is the waiver code something that any TA can utilize, or would i be better off trying to get AA to take control of the ticket to do the upfare?

Last edited by bver100; Nov 12, 2018 at 10:41 pm
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bver100
I have purchased a ticket through my corporate travel agent, so i need to work with them to do any changes to the ticket (as the new fare can be charged to the company). Does the "sell up" policy exist with them as well, or is the fee-free upfare available only to tickets that AA controls? Is the waiver code something that any TA can utilize, or would i be better off trying to get AA to take control of the ticket to do the upfare?
Did you read the Wiki at the top of the page, particularly the documentation from AA directly? Assuming it's all still valid, should be clear from that.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by bver100
It's been hit or miss for me (we use Concur) as to whether I get charged the "external handling" fee when doing an upfare/upsell. Lately it's been more consistent that I've had to pay the extra $50.

Call Meeting Services and they'll be able to help you process the upsell. Standard AAdvantage Reservations desk won't be able to help you and will transfer you to them.
bver100 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Did you read the Wiki at the top of the page, particularly the documentation from AA directly? Assuming it's all still valid, should be clear from that.
Isn’t that documentation in the image only for AA internal reps? It wasn’t clear if this is info published to all providers booking AA.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:20 am

For what it's worth, was able to call in to our agency (Amex GBT) and explained how there should be a fee waiver for upfaring. It's unclear if she used these rules, she mentioned looking to see if our corporate rate had allotted funds for changes. Didn't get charged the $200 change fee in the end.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I just upgraded one leg of an upcoming round trip flight. It was originally booked through Concur in economy, so paid the difference out of pocket.

I just noticed on my CC transactions that AA had 2 separate charges....one for the fare and another $50 even. I thought this was always supposed to waived since it’s a higher class of service, plus the agent never even mentioned it.

This is the first time I’ve ever been charged this fee when upfaring and if the agent was upfront about it, I obviously would’ve put up a fight or HUCA.

Has anyone had success getting that refunded?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:02 am

Sounds like that is the agency fee assessed when AA makes changes to a booking made by an agency. If u are EP then it should have definitely not been charged. If u are not EP then technically aa could chRge as they say they will not charge any fare penalties when up faring. But have also seen many instances of this fee not being assessed.

Call and ask.

Originally Posted by jvel
I just upgraded one leg of an upcoming round trip flight. It was originally booked through Concur in economy, so paid the difference out of pocket.

I just noticed on my CC transactions that AA had 2 separate charges....one for the fare and another $50 even. I thought this was always supposed to waived since it’s a higher class of service, plus the agent never even mentioned it.

This is the first time I’ve ever been charged this fee when upfaring and if the agent was upfront about it, I obviously would’ve put up a fight or HUCA.

Has anyone had success getting that refunded?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jvel

This is correct. There is a $50 charge for AA to take control of a ticket booked by a travel agent. AA has gotten more diligent about assessing this charge, as I too have been charged it recently even though historically I had not been.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP/2mm, SPG Gold
Routing change waived when doing upsell?

Has anyone had any luck getting a route change waived (different connection city, same number of stops) if keeping the same origin/destination?

I've had agents waive time of departure changes in the past, but never tried changing the route.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
AA is definitely getting pretty strict on the $50 EXTERNAL RESERVATION HANDLING SERVICE FEE.

I just upfared another reservation originally booked through Concur and it was charged again, however I only noticed it in the emailed receipt. The agent made no mention of it when providing the difference in fare and additional amount due. I've had no success calling back and having it refunded.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Anyone had success getting a 001 stock ticket, but on BA metal upfared without a change fee being charged? The Wiki seems to indicate that this is possible, but when checking on ITA Matrix, they show that the ticketing rules call for a $500 change fee.

I havent booked the flights yet, but current fares are in the neighborhood of what I’d expect to pay for J (maybe a smidge high, but that will help get me over the hump with EQD), but F is currently way higher than I’ve paid in recent years, so it would be nice to have the option to refare without a change fee should F fares come down to what I deem to be an acceptable level.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
Anyone had success getting a 001 stock ticket, but on BA metal upfared without a change fee being charged? The Wiki seems to indicate that this is possible, but when checking on ITA Matrix, they show that the ticketing rules call for a $500 change fee.

I havent booked the flights yet, but current fares are in the neighborhood of what I’d expect to pay for J (maybe a smidge high, but that will help get me over the hump with EQD), but F is currently way higher than I’ve paid in recent years, so it would be nice to have the option to refare without a change fee should F fares come down to what I deem to be an acceptable level.
I recently had a 001 stock ticket with AA metal connecting to BA metal upfared w/o a change fee.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by potus18
I recently had a 001 stock ticket with AA metal connecting to BA metal upfared w/o a change fee.
Thank you. Good to know that it’s possible. The AA booking window is now open (125 stock has been bookable for a month, but I need 001 stock for the EQD calc to go in my favor), so tickets are now booked. Let’s see if F fares drop, but right now I have my preferred seats booked in CW on the upper deck.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
I've never "upfared" before but so far it's the most hilarious process ever. I've called three times now (within 24h so could inventory have changed? Sure, but I'm skeptical). The first time just over $400, the 2nd time $599, and the most recent time $200 change fee (what?) plus $1000. I guess I'll keep calling, and if I hear a number I like, I'll take it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.