Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Buying Higher Class of Service Than Ticketed
"Effective December 19, 2012, AA will waive the ticket change charge if customer purchases into a higher cabin (business or first), regardless of booking inventory, on the same routing/same day*. For example, no changes to origin/destination except the change to cabin/flight time is allowed with no ticket change charge. Customer would be responsible for paying the difference in fares. The non-refundable portion of the ticket remains non-refundable and would be handled internally by Refunds when necessary."

- AA Revenue Tickets, Ticket Change

Unlike an upgrade, earnings in EQM etc. should be for the new fare.
*This includes co-terminals as allowed in the detailed fare rules or elsewhere.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There is no change fee (just the fare difference) to switch to a higher cabin (see below.) But it sounds like the OP might be combining/confusing a few different things.

\
Print Wikipost

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by BobOscar
When I go into my account and into a current booked itinerary the only thing I see is the option to change ticket. If I put in First Class it brings up all other flights and the additional fare including a change fee. But not the flights I have currently booked (they have First Class available).

When I just go into reservations I can buy a First Class ticket on the flights i'm on for $501. Does AA allow you to Buy Up to First without the $200 change fee? I assume I'll have to call to do it.
Please see the Wikipost at the top of the existing master thread. /Moderator
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:14 pm

When I called the agent offered to waive the fee but after I agreed to $319 upcharge to change it to First (he said Business; it's a domestic route) he had to put me on hold to get someone to OK the waiver of the change fee. He originally didn't seem to know what I meant by "buy up to First Class from Coach"; he thought I wanted to use miles..I had bought a First Class ticket for my wife on the same flights over the weekend and I didn't expect my requested upgrade with 500-milers was going to clear; the current F fare was about $75 less than what I had paid to buy her F ticket.. And now after my F reservation was ticketed it has jumped $150 for F on those flights.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BobOscar
...He originally didn't seem to know what I meant by "buy up to First Class from Coach"; he thought I wanted to use miles...
Glad it worked out...the above is why you should just say "Upfare." It's an actual term/re-ticketing process that means something to them with respect to SABRE.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
If you want to "upfare" and pay for an upgrade on only one segment of a 2-segment trip, is the minimum upfare charge equal to the fare difference between first class and coach on both segments of the trip?

I have a 2-segment trip coming up soon.
On the first segment, it's a coach ticket, and I am in coach. The price for that segment (if booked one-way) is about $150, but first class is about $230.
On the second segment, it's a coach ticket, and I've already been upgraded (due to being elite or whatever). The price for both segments together is about $250, but first class on both segments together is $450.

So I need to upfare/upgrade only the first segment.

I called AA to upfare/upgrade, but was going to be charged the fare difference for both segments, even though I only needed to upgrade/upfare one of them.

Is this the correct outcome? Seems like AA would sell fewer upfares/upgrades that way, although the number of lost sales might be smaller than the hassle of the IT changes needed to process upfares for 1 segment only on a 2+ segment trip.

Last edited by ibrandsguest; Jan 12, 2018 at 12:58 pm
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:06 pm

I called today to upfare from basic economy to premium economy. The agent told me I had to pay the change fee. I asked if there was a way to waive the change fee since it was the same flight and she said no.

I did not use the word "upfare" so maybe that was the issue. My flight is not for a few days so I will keep trying.

Update: Called back and a different agent was able to get us in Premium Economy for only the difference in fare (and no change fee). I used "upfare" this time and it seems to have worked.

Last edited by PM2020; Feb 15, 2018 at 12:35 pm Reason: Update
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by PM2020
I called today to upfare from basic economy to premium economy. The agent told me I had to pay the change fee. I asked if there was a way to waive the change fee since it was the same flight and she said no.

I did not use the word "upfare" so maybe that was the issue. My flight is not for a few days so I will keep trying.

Update: Called back and a different agent was able to get us in Premium Economy for only the difference in fare (and no change fee). I used "upfare" this time and it seems to have worked.
Interesting, I thought BE was no changes, period.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:12 am

Nope. That's what this entire thread is about...
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Cynicor
Nope. That's what this entire thread is about...
Was that in reply to me? If so, I know what the thread is about, but I thought the whole point of BE is that there were no changes/cancelations/upgrades for any amount of money.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
Purchased a ticket via my company's Concur portal and called AA to request an upfare but was told that only my company could make this change. I specifically mentioned upfare since she originally thought I was requesting an upgrade. Any tips or should I HUCA?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rayfes
Purchased a ticket via my company's Concur portal and called AA to request an upfare but was told that only my company could make this change. I specifically mentioned upfare since she originally thought I was requesting an upgrade. Any tips or should I HUCA?
I actually just did this not too long ago. Call "meeting services" (at least that's what the phone agent said it was called) and ask them. They should be able to make the change for you.

Their number is 1-800-433-1790

Funny enough, it was cheaper to buy into first than to buy the 500-mile upgrades for the flights in question.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:16 pm

Programs: Free agent AAdvantage LT GLD
It took over 10 minutes but they were able to do it after charging the difference in fare and $50 fee for handling an external reservation. I booked two one-way flts and wonder if I would have only had to pay the $50 fee once if it had been round trip. Thank you so much gradboozer! You've made my life as LT GLD better much better on work trips.

Originally Posted by gradboozer
I actually just did this not too long ago. Call "meeting services" (at least that's what the phone agent said it was called) and ask them. They should be able to make the change for you.

Their number is 1-800-433-1790

Funny enough, it was cheaper to buy into first than to buy the 500-mile upgrades for the flights in question.
gradboozer likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
It took over 10 minutes but they were able to do it after charging the difference in fare and $50 fee for handling an external reservation. I booked two one-way flts and wonder if I would have only had to pay the $50 fee once if it had been round trip. Thank you so much gradboozer! You've made my life as LT GLD better much better on work trips.
My company uses Concur, I frequently upgrade company-paid tickets to first and have always been able to do it simply by calling the EXP reservations line. They usually had to place a call to revenue management, but there was no $50 fee, just the fare difference.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by hbtr

My company uses Concur, I frequently upgrade company-paid tickets to first and have always been able to do it simply by calling the EXP reservations line. They usually had to place a call to revenue management, but there was no $50 fee, just the fare difference.
I wasn't charged any extra fee other than the difference in fare. Not sure if it has to do with which travel agency your Concur portal uses? PLT line is the one who sent me to meeting services and the meeting services agent is the one who gave me the phone number to do these changes again in the future.

Any time I call the travel agency linked to our Concur setup they want to charge a fee but not the other way around.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Thumbs down CHANGE FEE when Buying UP in Fare Class

Does this sound right? Used our corporate booking agency with company policy coach seat. Immediately called AA to use cash to then pay the fare difference to upgrade to first class ($199) to which agent then says there is a CHANGE FEE of $200 on top of that???????????? Really I said even though I'm paying into a higher fare class? She said unless I was concierge key or Exec Platinum there was a change fee. For sure Delta hasn't done this to me ever, nor has Alaska!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
As long as it is the same flight then there is no changed fee to upfare. HUACA. If you want to upfare to F and also change flights then they will charge you the change fee.
JDiver likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.