Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Buying Higher Class of Service Than Ticketed
"Effective December 19, 2012, AA will waive the ticket change charge if customer purchases into a higher cabin (business or first), regardless of booking inventory, on the same routing/same day*. For example, no changes to origin/destination except the change to cabin/flight time is allowed with no ticket change charge. Customer would be responsible for paying the difference in fares. The non-refundable portion of the ticket remains non-refundable and would be handled internally by Refunds when necessary."

- AA Revenue Tickets, Ticket Change

Unlike an upgrade, earnings in EQM etc. should be for the new fare.
*This includes co-terminals as allowed in the detailed fare rules or elsewhere.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There is no change fee (just the fare difference) to switch to a higher cabin (see below.) But it sounds like the OP might be combining/confusing a few different things.

\
Print Wikipost

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Paid upgrade for non elite member?

I don't have any status in AA. Just starting. My question is: Can I buy a Main cabin fare ticket and later upgrade to a First class? Should I call or can i upgrade via the website? The reason is my company pays only for Main cabin. So i will buy a main cabin ticket, get a receipt that I will submit to my company and later upgrade (Pay from my personal fund)

If this is possible, i would not pay for a seat when I initially buy the main cabin ticket.

Thanks
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by Love_Travel
I don't have any status in AA. Just starting. My question is: Can I buy a Main cabin fare ticket and later upgrade to a First class? Should I call or can i upgrade via the website? The reason is my company pays only for Main cabin. So i will buy a main cabin ticket, get a receipt that I will submit to my company and later upgrade (Pay from my personal fund)

If this is possible, i would not pay for a seat when I initially buy the main cabin ticket.

Thanks
AFAIK You can generally buy the fare upgrade (full fare difference - but without change fee) to go from Y -> J/F
Old Oct 20, 2017, 8:42 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
As mentioned, you can always call and pay to upgrade your ticketed main cabin fare. Your company would have paid the base fare and you can pay the difference plus any fees with your own payment method.

When you reach gold status, you can upgrade domestic flights for "free" with e-certificates (old schoolers here call them stickers because that's what AA used to send in the mail). That's a simplistic explanation...there are tons of threads on status based upgrades once you reach that point.

if you happen to have any points in your AA account you can also use those to upgrade a coach fare(based on availability). The number of points and copay(if any) depends on your coach fare.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:22 pm

Got it. Thanks
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PHL
As mentioned, you can always call and pay to upgrade your ticketed main cabin fare. Your company would have paid the base fare and you can pay the difference plus any fees with your own payment method.

When you reach gold status, you can upgrade domestic flights for "free" with e-certificates (old schoolers here call them stickers because that's what AA used to send in the mail). That's a simplistic explanation...there are tons of threads on status based upgrades once you reach that point.

if you happen to have any points in your AA account you can also use those to upgrade a coach fare(based on availability). The number of points and copay(if any) depends on your coach fare.
Does it matter if the corporate travel contract gives a discount (must you implicitly first buy up to the regular fare for your fare class and then pay the difference between the regular fare and a FC fare or upgrade?) or uses a corporate travel agent (fee for AA to take over the ticket?) that might have purchased a bulk or consolidator fare (poddible to upgrade these?)
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:45 pm

I buy the ticket directly in AA site, No corporate travel agent is involved

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does it matter if the corporate travel contract gives a discount (must you implicitly first buy up to the regular fare for your fare class and then pay the difference between the regular fare and a FC fare or upgrade?) or uses a corporate travel agent (fee for AA to take over the ticket?) that might have purchased a bulk or consolidator fare (poddible to upgrade these?)
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Also, FYI, there will be no change fee to upfare your ticket from Y to J/F. It was a nasty shock to me a few months back that some US carriers charge the fee for such a thing.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:57 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Also, FYI, there will be no change fee to upfare your ticket from Y to J/F. It was a nasty shock to me a few months back that some US carriers charge the fee for such a thing.
Do you mean there's no change fee to upfare any "coach" fare, or are you saying only a true "Y"/unrestricted coach fare will not incur a fee to pay for a higher class of service?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:37 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by PHL
Do you mean there's no change fee to upfare any "coach" fare, or are you saying only a true "Y"/unrestricted coach fare will not incur a fee to pay for a higher class of service?
Almost any coach fare. I've never attempted to upfare Basic Economy, but I believe that's the exception. Any other fare should work.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would expect the change fee to be charged if you simply upfare a ticket, for example from discounted coach to FULL Y, but not if you upfare to a higher cabin, such as coach to business class or business to first.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Love_Travel

It looks like you've had good answers; to keep this topic in one place, I'm merging it into the extant thread discussing it.

~Moderator
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Buying up to F, change fees?

I am thinking of buying up all my remaining domestic flights to First for the remainder of 2017 so I can meet my EQDs needed to keep Platinum.

Will they waive the change fees to do this since I am buying up to First Class?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
AA will waive the fee, I think that the magic word is "up-faring".
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:07 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MADPhil
AA will waive the fee, I think that the magic word is "up-faring".
Indeed it is.

MSP_Monopoly - take a look at this thread as well, if you'd like to see what others have done: Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I am thinking of buying up all my remaining domestic flights to First for the remainder of 2017 so I can meet my EQDs needed to keep Platinum.
Right means. Wrong end.

If you're willing to buy up to First, why do you care about status?

Will they waive the change fees to do this since I am buying up to First Class?
Yes. But you may need to educate the agent. And it might not be easy. Since the use of N* "star files" in native SABRE has gone away, it has become difficult to point Res agents to the right place to find the documentation that this is ok and how to do it.

The magic words on this thread are not always immediately magic.
deeruck likes this.

Last edited by Herb687; Nov 2, 2017 at 4:12 pm Reason: syntax

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.