Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Buying Higher Class of Service Than Ticketed
"Effective December 19, 2012, AA will waive the ticket change charge if customer purchases into a higher cabin (business or first), regardless of booking inventory, on the same routing/same day*. For example, no changes to origin/destination except the change to cabin/flight time is allowed with no ticket change charge. Customer would be responsible for paying the difference in fares. The non-refundable portion of the ticket remains non-refundable and would be handled internally by Refunds when necessary."

- AA Revenue Tickets, Ticket Change

Unlike an upgrade, earnings in EQM etc. should be for the new fare.
*This includes co-terminals as allowed in the detailed fare rules or elsewhere.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There is no change fee (just the fare difference) to switch to a higher cabin (see below.) But it sounds like the OP might be combining/confusing a few different things.

\
Print Wikipost

Upgrading AA Fare Code or Class of Service - Upfare / Upfaring (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:28 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Change fee to up-fare to higher cabin?

Does AA enforce the change fee if the only change you make is to upgrade to a higher class of service? In other words, if you purchase a coach ticket, and then change it to a business or first class ticket on the exact same flights, do they waive the change fee? I know that Delta does in this circumstance.

I ask because my employer will only reimburse coach, but AA has some great F fares and I'd like to pay the difference out of pocket, but a $400 change fee sort of takes the appeal out of it
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Unfortunately, no, you have to pay the change fee.

Will your company allow you to add choice essential for $34 each way? It removes all change fees and you can use the entire credit (including the $34) towards a new ticket.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Does AA enforce the change fee if the only change you make is to upgrade to a higher class of service? In other words, if you purchase a coach ticket, and then change it to a business or first class ticket on the exact same flights, do they waive the change fee? I know that Delta does in this circumstance.

I ask because my employer will only reimburse coach, but AA has some great F fares and I'd like to pay the difference out of pocket, but a $400 change fee sort of takes the appeal out of it
This was actually discussed a short time ago this evening
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...challenge.html
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:10 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Xero
Unfortunately, no, you have to pay the change fee.

Will your company allow you to add choice essential for $34 each way? It removes all change fees and you can use the entire credit (including the $34) towards a new ticket.
Good idea, but this is an international ticket.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, DL, CO
I was able to upfare (Y-J) on a flight to the Carribean last year without a fee, but it took some work (called 3 or 4 times until an agent was willing to waive the fee).
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:02 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nickp7286
I was able to upfare (Y-J) on a flight to the Carribean last year without a fee, but it took some work (called 3 or 4 times until an agent was willing to waive the fee).
One can often find exceptions if one looks hard enough. But the rule, stupid as it is, is that one has to pay a change fee if one wants to give them more money. Unfortunately, the "I got an exception" stories don't really inform the main question all that well.

Cheers.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I have upfared without having to pay any fee a couple of times recently, but it has never been made easy; you have to plead your case to the agent.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
I have done this four or five times, and everytime I have had success, however, it wasn't without some persistance. On one of the times, I had an agent note in my file that I had asked the question, she told me no, that a later agent saw, but ultimately waived the fee. So to answer your question, does AA enforce the rule, all depends on the agent you get.

If it's important enough to you where you can keep calling back if you don't get the answer you want, chances are you will get an agent who will waive it as a "one time favor."
Old Jun 14, 2013, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PRHusky
I have upfared without having to pay any fee a couple of times recently, but it has never been made easy; you have to plead your case to the agent.
EDIT: Apparently, it is in writing
Refer to post #!!

Last edited by mvoight; Jun 15, 2013 at 2:04 am
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp
Unfortunately, the "I got an exception" stories don't really inform the main question all that well.
Actually, they do, but thanks for moderating.

Cheers.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:30 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Is it listed in the fare rules explicitly?
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:07 pm

The FB posted a few months back where agents should look to find the waiver of the change fee on up cabin -- agents seem to be very surprised that this exists.

The policy can be found in file Ticket Change under Revenue Tickets and sub-category Date Change.

It reads as follows:
Effective December 19, 2012, AA will waive the ticket change charge if customer purchases into a higher cabin (business or first), regardless of booking inventory, on the same routing/same day. For example, no changes to origin/destination except the change to cabin/flight time is allowed with no ticket change charge. Customer would be responsible for paying the difference in fares. The non-refundable portion of the ticket remains non-refundable and would be handled internally by Refunds when necessary.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 1:58 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I've been able to upgrade award tickets with no fee.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777lover
The FB posted a few months back where agents should look to find the waiver of the change fee on up cabin -- agents seem to be very surprised that this exists.

The policy can be found in file Ticket Change under Revenue Tickets and sub-category Date Change.

It reads as follows:
Effective December 19, 2012, AA will waive the ticket change charge if customer purchases into a higher cabin (business or first), regardless of booking inventory, on the same routing/same day. For example, no changes to origin/destination except the change to cabin/flight time is allowed with no ticket change charge. Customer would be responsible for paying the difference in fares. The non-refundable portion of the ticket remains non-refundable and would be handled internally by Refunds when necessary.
That is interesting.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by 777lover

It reads as follows:
This was my experience as well, albeit for domestic tickets (I know the OP said it's an int'l itin). Sometimes the agents are unaware of this but this is now the rule. I believe it changed when change fees went away for all domestic F tickets.

I remember my GF needing to change a coach ticket which cost something like $450 and my figuring out that it was actually cheaper to upfare to F, which was about $565, then change for free, rather than pay another $150 only to stay in coach. Perhaps the best deal I've ever located .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.