Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Bump Rates: Volunteer Compensation / Voluntary Denied Boarding

Passengers involuntarily denied boarding on AA are denied usually after calls for volunteers to accept vouchers (and occasionally variable other benefits), usually beginning at $200 or $300 but possibly going significantly higher, depending on passenger response. See more below, including AA Conditions of Carriage.

See IDB / Involuntarily Denied Boarding on AA & Compensation (master thread) for INVOLUNTARILY denied boarding.

Link to US Dept. of Transportation Aviation Consumer Protection Division's "Fly-Rights - A Consumer Guide to Air Travel" section on Overbooking

"IDB" (involuntarily denied boarding) compensation is governed in the USA by "14 CFR 250.5 - Amount of denied boarding compensation for passengers denied boarding involuntarily".

Link to CFR §250.5; as well:

14 CFR § 250.2b Carriers to request volunteers for denied boarding.
(a) In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall request volunteers for denied boarding before using any other boarding priority. A “volunteer” is a person who responds to the carrier's request for volunteers and who willingly accepts the carriers' offer of compensation, in any amount, in exchange for relinquishing the confirmed reserved space. Any other passenger denied boarding is considered for purposes of this part to have been denied boarding involuntarily, even if that passenger accepts the denied boarding compensation.

(b) Every carrier shall advise each passenger solicited to volunteer for denied boarding, no later than the time the carrier solicits that passenger to volunteer, whether he or she is in danger of being involuntarily denied boarding and, if so, the compensation the carrier is obligated to pay if the passenger is involuntarily denied boarding. If an insufficient number of volunteers come forward, the carrier may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with its boarding priority rules.

14 CFR § 250.9 Written explanation of denied boarding compensation and boarding priorities, and verbal notification of denied boarding compensation.
(a) Every carrier shall furnish passengers who are denied boarding involuntarily from flights on which they hold confirmed reserved space immediately after the denied boarding occurs, a written statement explaining the terms, conditions, and limitations of denied boarding compensation, and describing the carriers' boarding priority rules and criteria. The carrier shall also furnish the statement to any person upon request at all airport ticket selling positions which are in the charge of a person employed exclusively by the carrier, or by it jointly with another person or persons, and at all boarding locations being used by the carrier.

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage, "Oversales"

In the European Union, EC261/2004 governs denied boarding compensation.

Link to EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints and AA (master thread)

On American Airlines, you are sometimes ineligible for IDB as allowed by the USDOT:
If a flight is oversold (more passengers hold confirmed reservations than there are seats available), no one may be denied boarding against his or her will until airline personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservation willingly, in exchange for compensation of the airline’s choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, other passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with the following boarding priority of American. In such events, American will usually deny boarding based upon check-in time, but we may also consider factors such as severe hardships, fare paid, and status within the AAdvantage® program.

If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of
‘‘denied boarding compensation’’ from the airline unless:

- You have not fully complied with the airline’s ticketing, check-in and reconfirmation requirements, or you are not acceptable for transportation under the airline’s usual rules and practices; or

- You are denied boarding because the flight is canceled; or

You are denied boarding because a smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons; or

- On a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or

- You are offered accommodations in a section of the aircraft other than specified in your ticket, at no extra charge (a passenger seated in a section for which a lower fare is charged must be given an appropriate refund); or

- The airline is able to place you on another flight or flights that are planned to reach your next stopover or final destination within one hour of the planned arrival time of your original flight.[/code]

The previous thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Print Wikipost

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Crazy!

FWIW....In 30 years of travel, 5MM, I have never once volunteered. and to be honest, Id probably been too slow on the uptake to land that one.
He was telling me that they held the flight for 40 minutes beyond departure time trying to negotiate people off the flight. My colleague told them he wanted cash in addition to the offered compensation, the flight attendants went off, came back a few minutes later and began making offers with vouchers + cash.

FYI ... the voucher portion was in the form of a gift card that can only be used to make purchases for AA operated flights. The cash payment was in the form of a cashier's check.

And yes... I have flown nearly 2MM across various airlines, and never saw something like this. I usually cash in for $4000-$6000 per year on VDB vouchers, but THIS is unheard of, and I reminded him very strongly of how lucky he was to be in the situation, and that he would probably not see another like it in his career.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jjmoore
He was telling me that they held the flight for 40 minutes beyond departure time trying to negotiate people off the flight. My colleague told them he wanted cash in addition to the offered compensation, the flight attendants went off, came back a few minutes later and began making offers with vouchers + cash.

FYI ... the voucher portion was in the form of a gift card that can only be used to make purchases for AA operated flights. The cash payment was in the form of a cashier's check.

And yes... I have flown nearly 2MM across various airlines, and never saw something like this. I usually cash in for $4000-$6000 per year on VDB vouchers, but THIS is unheard of, and I reminded him very strongly of how lucky he was to be in the situation, and that he would probably not see another like it in his career.
That's nuts. It's hard to believe that level of compensation was needed for MCO of all places.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
How did AA get a cashier's check on such short notice? Is there a bank branch inside the MCO terminal?

And why wouldn't AA just issue a company check in such circumstances?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by guv1976
How did AA get a cashier's check on such short notice? Is there a bank branch inside the MCO terminal?

And why wouldn't AA just issue a company check in such circumstances?
Not sure because I wasn't there. He told me they handed it to him at the gate. I do know based on my own experience that UA has issued them right at the gate from a stash of cashier's checks they keep at many gates (in IDB situations).
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by DCAFly
That's nuts. It's hard to believe that level of compensation was needed for MCO of all places.
I agree... not uncommon to see $1000-$2000 vouchers fly around at MCO on Fridays and Sundays... but never seen anything higher than that here.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Unreal! I'm sure the GAs were told to "get the FAs on the plane", and did so at any cost -- surely AA scheduling could've found 4 reserve FAs in LA on 6 hours notice for less than $44,000 if someone had checked with them.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCAFly
It is indeed hard to believe.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
It is indeed hard to believe.
Yeah for a domestic flight... certainly. I have seen on other airlines big-time comps offered to move business class pax down to economy recently... and an occasional instance of a $10,000 voucher issued for a short hop out of IAD's junky A terminal.....

Spring break is ending, and a lot of flights coming out of Florida have been full / oversold for the last few weeks (I've seen it in both MIA and MCO in the last 2 weeks). I haven't been lucky enough to score a cert this time around, but a couple people I know personally (evidenced by the aforementioned situation) have walked away with incredible compensation in MCO and SFO.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
That's nuts. I will say a few weeks ago I was on a JFK/MIA flight that was oversold by 12. I went down from the AC to the gate at T-1 when the flight opened and put my name on the list as a volunteer. 20 minutes later the GA called and told the AC for me to come down to board, so many paxs had missed check in.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Unreal! I'm sure the GAs were told to "get the FAs on the plane", and did so at any cost -- surely AA scheduling could've found 4 reserve FAs in LA on 6 hours notice for less than $44,000 if someone had checked with them.
Cheaper to charter a flight.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Thursday April 11th - AA342 (ORD-AUS) oversold by 3. $450 offered (and accepted). Rerouted through DFW and arrived 3 hours after original itinerary.
CMK10 and fedechat like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
2 data points from today 4/22 at LAX

My flight AA1784 to IAH was oversold by 3. GA said the offer was $475 and could go up. Checked with her just before boarding and I was no longer needed.

The 7am to PHL AA1799 boarding next door on the 767, was oversold by 6 offering $675. Those GAs were already announcing apologies in advance to customers that got Involuntarily denied.
fedechat likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by b_77W
2 data points from today 4/22 at LAX

My flight AA1784 to IAH was oversold by 3. GA said the offer was $475 and could go up. Checked with her just before boarding and I was no longer needed.

The 7am to PHL AA1799 boarding next door on the 767, was oversold by 6 offering $675. Those GAs were already announcing apologies in advance to customers that got Involuntarily denied.
I wonder how much the IDB's got... I remember once being a VDB and getting $600 while 3 IDB's were compensated $1,100 each.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: DL, HH, Bonvoy
4/16 PHL > MCO overbooked flight and volunteered for $800 to delay four hours to the next flight. Never dealt with this and I was the first volunteer, and the gate agent said "OK, we're all set". Left for the Centurion lounge. Got a phone call asking where I was, was told that when they said I was "all set" that they meant they didn't need any volunteers after all, and that they couldn't pay the $800 voucher if it wasn't needed. Ran to the gate and didn't make the flight, but was told that I got lucky because they did end up being totally booked by the time they closed the doors.

Still not sure what wires got crossed there, but it worked out at least.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Zeromus-X
4/16 PHL > MCO overbooked flight and volunteered for $800 to delay four hours to the next flight. Never dealt with this and I was the first volunteer, and the gate agent said "OK, we're all set". Left for the Centurion lounge. Got a phone call asking where I was, was told that when they said I was "all set" that they meant they didn't need any volunteers after all, and that they couldn't pay the $800 voucher if it wasn't needed. Ran to the gate and didn't make the flight, but was told that I got lucky because they did end up being totally booked by the time they closed the doors.

Still not sure what wires got crossed there, but it worked out at least.
In VDB situations, you should always stay at the gate until boarding is completed to find out whether they will need to give up your seat or not. A majority of the times, they will seek volunteers and then ultimately not need any once boarding is completed (missed connections, no-shows, etc.). Do not leave the gate area if you volunteer to give up your seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.