Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Bump Rates: Volunteer Compensation / Voluntary Denied Boarding

Passengers involuntarily denied boarding on AA are denied usually after calls for volunteers to accept vouchers (and occasionally variable other benefits), usually beginning at $200 or $300 but possibly going significantly higher, depending on passenger response. See more below, including AA Conditions of Carriage.

See IDB / Involuntarily Denied Boarding on AA & Compensation (master thread) for INVOLUNTARILY denied boarding.

Link to US Dept. of Transportation Aviation Consumer Protection Division's "Fly-Rights - A Consumer Guide to Air Travel" section on Overbooking

"IDB" (involuntarily denied boarding) compensation is governed in the USA by "14 CFR 250.5 - Amount of denied boarding compensation for passengers denied boarding involuntarily".

Link to CFR §250.5; as well:

14 CFR § 250.2b Carriers to request volunteers for denied boarding.
(a) In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall request volunteers for denied boarding before using any other boarding priority. A “volunteer” is a person who responds to the carrier's request for volunteers and who willingly accepts the carriers' offer of compensation, in any amount, in exchange for relinquishing the confirmed reserved space. Any other passenger denied boarding is considered for purposes of this part to have been denied boarding involuntarily, even if that passenger accepts the denied boarding compensation.

(b) Every carrier shall advise each passenger solicited to volunteer for denied boarding, no later than the time the carrier solicits that passenger to volunteer, whether he or she is in danger of being involuntarily denied boarding and, if so, the compensation the carrier is obligated to pay if the passenger is involuntarily denied boarding. If an insufficient number of volunteers come forward, the carrier may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with its boarding priority rules.

14 CFR § 250.9 Written explanation of denied boarding compensation and boarding priorities, and verbal notification of denied boarding compensation.
(a) Every carrier shall furnish passengers who are denied boarding involuntarily from flights on which they hold confirmed reserved space immediately after the denied boarding occurs, a written statement explaining the terms, conditions, and limitations of denied boarding compensation, and describing the carriers' boarding priority rules and criteria. The carrier shall also furnish the statement to any person upon request at all airport ticket selling positions which are in the charge of a person employed exclusively by the carrier, or by it jointly with another person or persons, and at all boarding locations being used by the carrier.

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage, "Oversales"

In the European Union, EC261/2004 governs denied boarding compensation.

Link to EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints and AA (master thread)

On American Airlines, you are sometimes ineligible for IDB as allowed by the USDOT:
If a flight is oversold (more passengers hold confirmed reservations than there are seats available), no one may be denied boarding against his or her will until airline personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservation willingly, in exchange for compensation of the airline’s choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, other passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with the following boarding priority of American. In such events, American will usually deny boarding based upon check-in time, but we may also consider factors such as severe hardships, fare paid, and status within the AAdvantage® program.

If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of
‘‘denied boarding compensation’’ from the airline unless:

- You have not fully complied with the airline’s ticketing, check-in and reconfirmation requirements, or you are not acceptable for transportation under the airline’s usual rules and practices; or

- You are denied boarding because the flight is canceled; or

You are denied boarding because a smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons; or

- On a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or

- You are offered accommodations in a section of the aircraft other than specified in your ticket, at no extra charge (a passenger seated in a section for which a lower fare is charged must be given an appropriate refund); or

- The airline is able to place you on another flight or flights that are planned to reach your next stopover or final destination within one hour of the planned arrival time of your original flight.[/code]

The previous thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Print Wikipost

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by jordyn
Okay, if you're not even going to grapple with the language provided by the DOT about it counting as IDB even if compensation is provided, I guess you're right there's no point in having a conversation, which usually involves discussing the actual arguments the other person has made.

I'd highly encourage ngls to file a complaint with the DOT if AA doesn't provide something like IDB compensation. You can't sign a form to release AA from its obligations under the law.
+1
From your link... Any passenger selected by the carrier for denied boarding in accordance with any boarding priority other than a request for volunteers is considered to have been denied boarding “involuntarily,” whether or not the passenger accepts denied boarding compensation.

Telling the passenger there was a problem with their ticket would say they are not a volunteer. Had they said 'hey turns out we need your seat. We will give you what you agreed to.', then sure, OP volunteered. But they did not do that. "There is a problem with your ticket" is clearly "other than a request for volunteers ".
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:09 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Okay, if you're not even going to grapple with the language provided by the DOT about it counting as IDB even if compensation is provided, I guess you're right there's no point in having a conversation, which usually involves discussing the actual arguments the other person has made.

I'd highly encourage ngls to file a complaint with the DOT if AA doesn't provide something like IDB compensation. You can't sign a form to release AA from its obligations under the law.
I don't need to grapple with the language because the OP signed the waiver. It's kinda like the time I made the mistake of flying LH from LHR to JNB via FRA. The plane at LHR was Wx, and the connecting flight went Mx. We arrived in JNB 24 hours later and were told we were not entitled to any EC 261/04 compensation. We ended up getting miles deposited a few days later on condition we signed a waiver. By signing that waiver, we unfortunately gave up our EC 261/04 claim.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by uxb
I don't need to grapple with the language because the OP signed the waiver. It's kinda like the time I made the mistake of flying LH from LHR to JNB via FRA. The plane at LHR was Wx, and the connecting flight went Mx. We arrived in JNB 24 hours later and were told we were not entitled to any EC 261/04 compensation. We ended up getting miles deposited a few days later on condition we signed a waiver. By signing that waiver, we unfortunately gave up our EC 261/04 claim.
FYI, an airline can't get you to sign away your EC 261/04 rights either. Sorry the airline tricked you into believing otherwise. I agree they can be quite tricky, but the only exception to providing cash compensation for delays is that they can provide you a travel voucher instead of cash if you agree. Miles aren't a valid form of compensation for a delay, so you may want to talk to one of the services that pursues EC 261/04 claims to get the compensation you actually deserved.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
FYI, an airline can't get you to sign away your EC 261/04 rights either. Sorry the airline tricked you into believing otherwise. I agree they can be quite tricky, but the only exception to providing cash compensation for delays is that they can provide you a travel voucher instead of cash if you agree. Miles aren't a valid form of compensation for a delay, so you may want to talk to one of the services that pursues EC 261/04 claims to get the compensation you actually deserved.
The lesson here, again, is that if you don't agree... don't sign. The signature relinquishes airline responsibility.
uxb likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ngls
8/4 AA 685 DCA-PHX overbooked by 2. Asked for volunteers giving a $570 voucher to those who "have flexible plans". 3 people volunteered (one couple and myself). Ended up not needing me (or thought so) and told me to board. Lo and behold a GA walked on the plane and told me to go and talk to customer service as "there is a problem with my ticket"! I grab my stuff and walk out. In the jetbridge, I meet the elderly couple and a young girl (who probably took my seat) walking towards the plane. They close the door right after I exit and they tell me that they ended up needing my seat as they didn't want to split the elderly couple (someone no showed). They rebooked me on a flight the following day at 7:05am. I was pretty unhappy that they gave away my seat without telling me my alternatives and that the agent lied to me about "an issue with my ticket".

Next day's flight ended up being cancelled due to mechanical so I spent 10 hours at DCA. Pretty much every flight out was oversold (bad weather in the NE). The bump rates ranged from $300 (shorter flights) all the way to $900 (for a flight to PBI).
Hi all,

I received a response from AA today regarding the VDB/IDB issue that I posted a few days ago (see above). IMO, AA's reply was pretty canned and the outcome was an extra $200 eVoucher. What do you think I should do next? Push back or let it go since I did sign the VDB voucher that pretty much relinquishes any further claims?

AA's response:
'First, I'd like to thank you for your kind gesture of volunteering to give up your seat on your flight 685 when that flight was overbooked. For those customers who absolutely needed to be on that flight, your accommodation was very much appreciated. At the same time, I'm sorry that you were upset when you learned that we didn't need your seat but we did accept other customers as volunteers, and then did accept your seat. Please let me explain.

When a flight is overbooked by a certain number of people, obviously we need that number of volunteers to come forward. The volunteers might consist of customers traveling alone, groups or families traveling together. So, if a family or traveling party consisting of the essential number of seats agrees to alter their travel plans and relinquish their seats, it would be more expeditious and beneficial to everyone to accept the group or family as volunteers. Then, it wouldn't be necessary to continue to solicit volunteers and potentially delay the flight or have to deny boarding to someone whose travel is imperative.

Also, individual customer itineraries would be another consideration that might cause us to accept one customer over another in a volunteer situation. Whenever possible, we would select only passengers who do not have continuing downline flights on the same day.

All this aside, these kinds of situations should be handled with professionalism, and I regret that wasn't your experience on this occasion. I've let our Washington management personnel know what happened. The staff there will be reminded how important it is to demonstrate courtesy in situations that have disappointed a good customer -- especially when our customer has just attempted to do us a favor. Thanks for giving us this chance to improve.

While I can understand your perspective, the Denied Boarding Compensation you requested is not applicable. I am sorry to disappoint you further.

However, since you were kind enough to give up your seat aboard your flight, I can well understand your disappointment in learning that your new flight was canceled. Under the circumstances, I am pleased to send you an additional $200.00 eVoucher. Both vouchers are valid for 12 months from the respective dates of issue. Please use the vouchers to travel with us again soon.'
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
I volunteered last Friday for the first time for the "unusual" dollar amount of $430 (I'm used to the offers being a multiple of 100). CLT-->CLE oversold by one; at the last minute there was one no show, so my seat was not needed.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
The lesson here, again, is that if you don't agree... don't sign. The signature relinquishes airline responsibility.
No.

By this logic, no airline would ever tell you about your right to cash compensation despite the fact they're required to do so, and then once you took the voucher you'd have no recourse once you learned they'd blatantly violated they law. Hopefully it's obvious that they can't circumvent the requirement to tell you that they're required to give you cash but you can voluntarily accept a voucher along with a waiver. There would be no point to the notice requirement in the first place if accepting the waiver somehow defeated the law.

In any case, even if you believe that the airlines can somehow get you to sign a contract that completely contradicts their legal requirements, it's still worth complaining to the DOT because at a minimum, the airline would have violated the DOT rules regarding notice and compensation. So then the DOT could take independent action against the airline even if the airline didn't technically owe you anything.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
No.

By this logic, no airline would ever tell you about your right to cash compensation despite the fact they're required to do so, and then once you took the voucher you'd have no recourse once you learned they'd blatantly violated they law. Hopefully it's obvious that they can't circumvent the requirement to tell you that they're required to give you cash but you can voluntarily accept a voucher along with a waiver. There would be no point to the notice requirement in the first place if accepting the waiver somehow defeated the law.

In any case, even if you believe that the airlines can somehow get you to sign a contract that completely contradicts their legal requirements, it's still worth complaining to the DOT because at a minimum, the airline would have violated the DOT rules regarding notice and compensation. So then the DOT could take independent action against the airline even if the airline didn't technically owe you anything.
I'm not saying this just to be stubborn. It really becomes a slippery slope if this is taken into some sort of legal battle for IDB compensation mandated by the DOT. The reasons (logically) are presented below:

1) AA has a signed document relinquishing them from paying out IDB compensation
2) There is no evidence in support of the customer beyond "he said / she said".

This will be a very very difficult case to pursue.... though the following scenarios could unfold:

1) AA offers in a good-will gesture the IDB compensation to avoid a legal confrontation
2) AA offers an additional travel credit for this passenger.

Anyway... we can hope that AA recognizes the error in the situation they have caused and that they compensate accordingly.

Lesson to all, folks.... DO NOT sign anything if you are not happy with the compensation and/or feel that the airline is trying to sneak something past you. I think this applies in all walks of life when signing any sort of contract.

OP - please keep us posted on what happens if you pursue this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:21 am

FWIW, I do agree that the burden of proof in this situation is tricky, especially with the signed waiver. My point was simply that from a legal perspective ngls was probably actually IDBed and the fact that they signed a waiver does not change that fact.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:54 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Not going to bother because my claim is time-barred under UK and DE law. The incident happened in 2010. In any case, I completely disagree with your sentiment that signing a waiver of responsibility still entitles you to compensation. The waiver was a condition for settlement of the above matter. Settlement requires a meeting of the minds. If the OP didn't agree that they were VDB'd, then they shouldn't have signed the waiver or accepted VDB compensation. You cannot undo the waiver unless there was duress. Duress doesn't appear to be a factor here. In any case, if waivers of liability weren't conditional to effect settlements, then no matter could be settled as a matter of law.

Originally Posted by ngls
Hi all,

I received a response from AA today regarding the VDB/IDB issue that I posted a few days ago (see above). IMO, AA's reply was pretty canned and the outcome was an extra $200 eVoucher. What do you think I should do next? Push back or let it go since I did sign the VDB voucher that pretty much relinquishes any further claims?

AA's response:
'First, I'd like to thank you for your kind gesture of volunteering to give up your seat on your flight 685 when that flight was overbooked. For those customers who absolutely needed to be on that flight, your accommodation was very much appreciated. At the same time, I'm sorry that you were upset when you learned that we didn't need your seat but we did accept other customers as volunteers, and then did accept your seat. Please let me explain.

When a flight is overbooked by a certain number of people, obviously we need that number of volunteers to come forward. The volunteers might consist of customers traveling alone, groups or families traveling together. So, if a family or traveling party consisting of the essential number of seats agrees to alter their travel plans and relinquish their seats, it would be more expeditious and beneficial to everyone to accept the group or family as volunteers. Then, it wouldn't be necessary to continue to solicit volunteers and potentially delay the flight or have to deny boarding to someone whose travel is imperative.

Also, individual customer itineraries would be another consideration that might cause us to accept one customer over another in a volunteer situation. Whenever possible, we would select only passengers who do not have continuing downline flights on the same day.

All this aside, these kinds of situations should be handled with professionalism, and I regret that wasn't your experience on this occasion. I've let our Washington management personnel know what happened. The staff there will be reminded how important it is to demonstrate courtesy in situations that have disappointed a good customer -- especially when our customer has just attempted to do us a favor. Thanks for giving us this chance to improve.

While I can understand your perspective, the Denied Boarding Compensation you requested is not applicable. I am sorry to disappoint you further.

However, since you were kind enough to give up your seat aboard your flight, I can well understand your disappointment in learning that your new flight was canceled. Under the circumstances, I am pleased to send you an additional $200.00 eVoucher. Both vouchers are valid for 12 months from the respective dates of issue. Please use the vouchers to travel with us again soon.'
Based on their response, which was only partly canned, I wouldn't pursue the matter further. You have to value your time and effort thus far. A complaint to the DOT would surely go on AA's record, but may not yield anything more than another rebuff. The agent who responded does not concede you were IDB'd, so it will be your word against theirs. We are not experiencing a consumer-friendly environment in Washington, so you should also consider that before proceeding. Whilst I agree your situation was bushleague, the signed waiver would undermine your argument in a DOT complaint. Regardless, I wish you luck however you proceed.
jjmoore and enpremiere like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
I received a $300 travel voucher that I'd like to put towards an itinerary with a total cost of $469. As far as I know, I should:

- Find the itinerary on aa.com
- Place the itinerary on hold
- Call AA to redeem the voucher

At this point, can I pay the balance via a phone transaction without incurring any additional fees for using such an archaic method of booking a flight as the phone?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
$450 offered yesterday from DFW to DCA. Three volunteers needed. I was #1 on the volunteer list. #2 and #3 wound up boarding. A packed 737-800 with what looked like 5 CKs boarding (based on when they called for CKs).

They were gate checking carry on bags starting with Group #7 . Since volunteers #2 and #3 were the last to board, the gate agent was nice enough to "pink" tag their carry on bags which means they were to be delivered planeside to DCA (I assume it happened).

First bump for me in about 10 year. That will pay for my Florida trip next week.
CMK10, fedechat, brewdog11 and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
$700 was offered on Monday 10/22 from HNL to DFW. They needed twelve volunteers. My travel companion and I both volunteered for a total of $1,400. They offered to put us on a HNL -> PHX flight later that night, however they only had middle seats left on that flight. We took the HNL -> LAX -> JFK the following day instead. Because I voluntarily stayed an extra night, I assumed that I would be on the hook for the hotel, which I would have been fine with, but the gate agent yelled after me "wait, I haven't given you your hotel vouchers yet", so I went back to the desk. I was expecting a dumpy airport hotel, but they put us up at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and gave us two taxi vouchers. At the hotel, the Hilton gave us two $25 F&B vouchers as part of their contract with AA. The icing on the cake? My travel companion and I both cleared the upgrade list to J on the LAX -> JFK segment and our original tickets were only $427.90 each!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:16 pm

I was scheduled to fly from TPA to PHX (Flight 531) yesterday, 11/25. The Admirals Club agent told me the flight was oversold by 2. I asked to be put on the volunteer list, and she did so. I was #1 and probably the only one. At boarding time, I boarded the plane. I did not speak with the gate agents. I presume because they did not think any volunteers would be needed and no announcements were made. I was at the boarding area ~45 minutes before departure. The incoming flight was still deplaning passengers. I boarded with group 2 and took my seat. Before boarding ended, they paged for me stating that they would need my seat (22B). After the last 30 or so passengers were seated, I was able to head upstream through the aisle. On the jet bridge, I asked one of the agents what the compensation amount would be. In my mind, I was hoping for at least $500. The agent replied $700. For reference, my round trip ticket was $650.

Ultimately, what goes into determining the amount of compensation offered? Should I have notified them at the gate before boarding? Could I have asked for more after deplaning since no number was mentioned?

In the end, I am content, but I am wondering if a larger amount could have been obtained. I had heard that another passenger received $1000, due to the delays based on the weather yesterday and the Thanksgiving weekend, albeit with different city pairs.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by tbone14
I was scheduled to fly from TPA to PHX (Flight 531) yesterday, 11/25. The Admirals Club agent told me the flight was oversold by 2. I asked to be put on the volunteer list, and she did so. I was #1 and probably the only one. At boarding time, I boarded the plane. I did not speak with the gate agents. I presume because they did not think any volunteers would be needed and no announcements were made. I was at the boarding area ~45 minutes before departure. The incoming flight was still deplaning passengers. I boarded with group 2 and took my seat. Before boarding ended, they paged for me stating that they would need my seat (22B). After the last 30 or so passengers were seated, I was able to head upstream through the aisle. On the jet bridge, I asked one of the agents what the compensation amount would be. In my mind, I was hoping for at least $500. The agent replied $700. For reference, my round trip ticket was $650.

Ultimately, what goes into determining the amount of compensation offered? Should I have notified them at the gate before boarding? Could I have asked for more after deplaning since no number was mentioned?

In the end, I am content, but I am wondering if a larger amount could have been obtained. I had heard that another passenger received $1000, due to the delays based on the weather yesterday and the Thanksgiving weekend, albeit with different city pairs.
You volunteered before knowing what the compensation was going to be. So, you would generally get what was being offered and was accepted for the other seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.