Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Old Mar 31, 16, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Bump Rates: Volunteer Compensation / Voluntary Denied Boarding

Passengers involuntarily denied boarding on AA are denied usually after calls for volunteers to accept vouchers (and occasionally variable other benefits), usually beginning at $200 or $300 but possibly going significantly higher, depending on passenger response. See more below, including AA Conditions of Carriage.

See IDB / Involuntarily Denied Boarding on AA & Compensation (master thread) for INVOLUNTARILY denied boarding.

Link to US Dept. of Transportation Aviation Consumer Protection Division's "Fly-Rights - A Consumer Guide to Air Travel" section on Overbooking

"IDB" (involuntarily denied boarding) compensation is governed in the USA by "14 CFR 250.5 - Amount of denied boarding compensation for passengers denied boarding involuntarily".

Link to CFR 250.5; as well:

14 CFR 250.2b Carriers to request volunteers for denied boarding.
(a) In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall request volunteers for denied boarding before using any other boarding priority. A volunteer is a person who responds to the carrier's request for volunteers and who willingly accepts the carriers' offer of compensation, in any amount, in exchange for relinquishing the confirmed reserved space. Any other passenger denied boarding is considered for purposes of this part to have been denied boarding involuntarily, even if that passenger accepts the denied boarding compensation.

(b) Every carrier shall advise each passenger solicited to volunteer for denied boarding, no later than the time the carrier solicits that passenger to volunteer, whether he or she is in danger of being involuntarily denied boarding and, if so, the compensation the carrier is obligated to pay if the passenger is involuntarily denied boarding. If an insufficient number of volunteers come forward, the carrier may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with its boarding priority rules.

14 CFR 250.9 Written explanation of denied boarding compensation and boarding priorities, and verbal notification of denied boarding compensation.
(a) Every carrier shall furnish passengers who are denied boarding involuntarily from flights on which they hold confirmed reserved space immediately after the denied boarding occurs, a written statement explaining the terms, conditions, and limitations of denied boarding compensation, and describing the carriers' boarding priority rules and criteria. The carrier shall also furnish the statement to any person upon request at all airport ticket selling positions which are in the charge of a person employed exclusively by the carrier, or by it jointly with another person or persons, and at all boarding locations being used by the carrier.

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage, "Oversales"

In the European Union, EC261/2004 governs denied boarding compensation.

Link to EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints and AA (master thread)

On American Airlines, you are sometimes ineligible for IDB as allowed by the USDOT:
If a flight is oversold (more passengers hold confirmed reservations than there are seats available), no one may be denied boarding against his or her will until airline personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservation willingly, in exchange for compensation of the airlines choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, other passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with the following boarding priority of American. In such events, American will usually deny boarding based upon check-in time, but we may also consider factors such as severe hardships, fare paid, and status within the AAdvantage program.

If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of
denied boarding compensation from the airline unless:

- You have not fully complied with the airlines ticketing, check-in and reconfirmation requirements, or you are not acceptable for transportation under the airlines usual rules and practices; or

- You are denied boarding because the flight is canceled; or

You are denied boarding because a smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons; or

- On a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or

- You are offered accommodations in a section of the aircraft other than specified in your ticket, at no extra charge (a passenger seated in a section for which a lower fare is charged must be given an appropriate refund); or

- The airline is able to place you on another flight or flights that are planned to reach your next stopover or final destination within one hour of the planned arrival time of your original flight.[/code]

The previous thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Print Wikipost

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Old Dec 26, 22, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Any offers from LHR recently? If so, do AA ever rebook on BA LHR-JFK flights instead?
Old Jun 14, 23, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I just got voluntarily bumped from AA204, PHL-AMS, for $1125 and upgraded from Y to J for tomorrow. Arriving a day later, but I have the time to spare.

Since this was on a saver award, this may be the best 30k points Ive ever spent.
Spiff, JJeffrey, wjm7733 and 16 others like this.
Old Jun 27, 23, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Random question for the day (in my head):

If I am leaving my home airport on a same day return just for fun, with high probability of a an oversold departure at home airport, can I get VDB then claim trip-in-vain for refund? If this is not usually done by AA, would a GA be more inclined to do it during a high volume holiday? This assumes it is easier to refund in this situation vs time spent finding me alternate flights.

Please do not post comments related to ethics, morals, or how dare you take a holiday seat you don't really need. It is just a question!
Old Jun 27, 23, 8:37 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Bradhattan

If I am leaving my home airport on a same day return just for fun, with high probability of a an oversold departure at home airport, can I get VDB then claim trip-in-vain for refund? If this is not usually done by AA, would a GA be more inclined to do it during a high volume holiday? This assumes it is easier to refund in this situation vs time spent finding me alternate flights.

Please do not post comments related to ethics, morals, or how dare you take a holiday seat you don't really need. It is just a question!
This has "scam" written all over it, but I don't know how one could possibly agree to VDB but then claim trip in vain. The "V" stands for voluntary.
Old Jun 28, 23, 6:58 am

This is not a trip in vain situation. You would have to take at least one flight (intermediate point) and be stuck there and ask to be returned to your departure airport.
From aa: When a customer is flown to an intermediate point, through stop point or land in a diversion city due to an irregular operation, which may not get them to their final destination, they may choose to discontinue their journey and return back to their origination city.

As for simply asking for a refund after a VDB, as js1993 notes, I don't see it working. Most of the time when they ask for volunteers they have the alternative flight laid out. ("xx in vouchers to take a flight yy later")

YMMV
Old Jun 28, 23, 12:49 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Global321
From aa: When a customer is flown to an intermediate point, through stop point or land in a diversion city due to an irregular operation, which may not get them to their final destination, they may choose to discontinue their journey and return back to their origination city.
Gotta love airline jargon. The only Google result for "through stop point" is AA's Trip in Vain page. Anyone know how that's defined?
Global321 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 23, 1:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
First and foremost it's very rare now that volunteers are needed in the end so any hope that one will be bumped shouldn't be relied upon. Second, a few months back there was announcement for volunteers for a ORD/MIA which would have required an overnight. Since I was flying to DFW the next day I volunteered only if AA would fly me to DFW not back to MIA. The GA called someone in operations and they said no.
Old Aug 5, 23, 1:09 am

Programs: Alaska MVP
8/4 Fri (local time) CDG -> DFW got offered USD 650 voucher + 20 euros lunch voucher to take the flight that is 4 hours later. standby list had 38 people on there (not sure how many of them cleared). gate agent took 3 volunteers.
zip10001 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 23, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I hadn't had a sniff of a VDB in a looong time, so this one was a surprise.

Late July flying DFW-PHL on a Friday, late morning flight. The prior DFW-PHL flight had cancelled.

The app notified me a few hours prior to my flight that they might need volunteers. It asked me to select $600, $750, $900, or $1050 as compensation and to select an alternate flight/routing. I selected $900.

At the gate the agents stated that they might need my seat, but weren't sure and to wait until the end of boarding. As boarding finished there were two uniformed AA crew (one FA and one Pilot) waiting to board. My impression was that they were commuting to work a flight out of PHL and may have been must ride/fly. In the end, both AA crew boarded and I got $900. The GAs could see what I had "bid" in their system. I was re-routed to connect through RDU and got home about 3 hours later than originally planned.

I think the need for AA to get the two crew to PHL made all the difference. There were a lot of standby pax left at the gate.
friedablass, Global321 and js1993 like this.
Old Aug 24, 23, 8:31 am

Delay after bump

Hi there,
I couldn't find any answer yet, so hopefully I do not ask about an issue which was already solved. Last year I took a flight from Austin to Berlin with the following routing:
AUS - DFW (AA); DFW - LHR (AA); LHR-BER (BA)
The Flight diasppeard in the BA app a couple days before departure. I couln't reach the help desk by phone, so I went to the airport in Austin. I was rebooked via ORD, but nobody could tell me why. All of my booked flights departed and arrived on time, so one of them was probably overbooked. The next day my flight to ORD was late (8 min late aircraft delay and 78 minutes NAS delay according to transtats). Therefore I missed my connection in ORD and arrived 6 hours later than scheduled in Berlin. AA is refusing to compensate me regarding to air traffic control issues.

I am wondering: Which flight is crucial for compensations: the overbooked one or the alternative flight from AUS to ORD?

Thanky you so much for your help!
Old Aug 24, 23, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by odist
Hi there,
I couldn't find any answer yet, so hopefully I do not ask about an issue which was already solved. Last year I took a flight from Austin to Berlin with the following routing:
AUS - DFW (AA); DFW - LHR (AA); LHR-BER (BA)
The Flight diasppeard in the BA app a couple days before departure. I couln't reach the help desk by phone, so I went to the airport in Austin. I was rebooked via ORD, but nobody could tell me why. All of my booked flights departed and arrived on time, so one of them was probably overbooked. The next day my flight to ORD was late (8 min late aircraft delay and 78 minutes NAS delay according to transtats). Therefore I missed my connection in ORD and arrived 6 hours later than scheduled in Berlin. AA is refusing to compensate me regarding to air traffic control issues.

I am wondering: Which flight is crucial for compensations: the overbooked one or the alternative flight from AUS to ORD?

Thanky you so much for your help!
You were only bumped if you were at the gate and denied boarding. If any comp is owed, it's because of the alternate flight only.

Technically, it's possible the original flight was oversold and they bumped you two days in advance, but that's unlikely, and it's probably way too late to make anything of it now.
Old Sep 19, 23, 10:22 pm

I've been seeing more voluntary change options on the app/aa.com, presumably in oversold situations where AA needs the seats and this question came to my mind as well. How does AA handle refunds on the original ticket and of any travel voucher/comps given in case of voluntary flight change? For example, if I accept a voluntary bump offer to take a flight a day after my original flight date in exchange for a travel voucher and then subsequently need to cancel my flight, what happens?
Old Oct 27, 23, 11:41 am

Programs: TrueBlue, Hyatt
How do the online offer messages work with a connecting itinerary? I got one when I went to check in, and you cant really tell if its for one/both flights or such. Not planning on taking it due to timing but wondering if anyone knows, as it might be interesting on the way home
Old Oct 27, 23, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Intheair2night
How do the online offer messages work with a connecting itinerary? I got one when I went to check in, and you can’t really tell if it’s for one/both flights or such. Not planning on taking it due to timing but wondering if anyone knows, as it might be interesting on the way home
It's usually for one flight but you should plan as if it's for both, since you're certainly not guaranteed to arrive by the original time. But even if Flight #2 is also overbooked, you're not going to get paid for Flight #2 if you take a VDB for Flight #1.

The vast majority of the time, AA doesn't need anyone. The app "offers" have been mostly a data-collection exercise for years.
Old Oct 27, 23, 2:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, United, Delta ex-status
I'll never say never, but the way loads are running so full now never think about VDB on a first leg. Maaaaaayyyyyybe on single-leg flight to home IF the offer is good enough aaaaaand it is short enough duration you would not hate yourself if you end up in the middle of the last row. More likely now to be a long wait and a marginal hotel. The days of a free upgrade on the second plane in the morning after a night in the Hyatt with breakfast are over.

Unless the weather is awful and you were thinking about getting off the plane anyway because it was bound to be a barfer of a ride getting in at midnight. Then it might be a gift.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.