Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Bump Rates: Volunteer Compensation / Voluntary Denied Boarding

Passengers involuntarily denied boarding on AA are denied usually after calls for volunteers to accept vouchers (and occasionally variable other benefits), usually beginning at $200 or $300 but possibly going significantly higher, depending on passenger response. See more below, including AA Conditions of Carriage.

See IDB / Involuntarily Denied Boarding on AA & Compensation (master thread) for INVOLUNTARILY denied boarding.

Link to US Dept. of Transportation Aviation Consumer Protection Division's "Fly-Rights - A Consumer Guide to Air Travel" section on Overbooking

"IDB" (involuntarily denied boarding) compensation is governed in the USA by "14 CFR 250.5 - Amount of denied boarding compensation for passengers denied boarding involuntarily".

Link to CFR §250.5; as well:

14 CFR § 250.2b Carriers to request volunteers for denied boarding.
(a) In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall request volunteers for denied boarding before using any other boarding priority. A “volunteer” is a person who responds to the carrier's request for volunteers and who willingly accepts the carriers' offer of compensation, in any amount, in exchange for relinquishing the confirmed reserved space. Any other passenger denied boarding is considered for purposes of this part to have been denied boarding involuntarily, even if that passenger accepts the denied boarding compensation.

(b) Every carrier shall advise each passenger solicited to volunteer for denied boarding, no later than the time the carrier solicits that passenger to volunteer, whether he or she is in danger of being involuntarily denied boarding and, if so, the compensation the carrier is obligated to pay if the passenger is involuntarily denied boarding. If an insufficient number of volunteers come forward, the carrier may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with its boarding priority rules.

14 CFR § 250.9 Written explanation of denied boarding compensation and boarding priorities, and verbal notification of denied boarding compensation.
(a) Every carrier shall furnish passengers who are denied boarding involuntarily from flights on which they hold confirmed reserved space immediately after the denied boarding occurs, a written statement explaining the terms, conditions, and limitations of denied boarding compensation, and describing the carriers' boarding priority rules and criteria. The carrier shall also furnish the statement to any person upon request at all airport ticket selling positions which are in the charge of a person employed exclusively by the carrier, or by it jointly with another person or persons, and at all boarding locations being used by the carrier.

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage, "Oversales"

In the European Union, EC261/2004 governs denied boarding compensation.

Link to EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints and AA (master thread)

On American Airlines, you are sometimes ineligible for IDB as allowed by the USDOT:
If a flight is oversold (more passengers hold confirmed reservations than there are seats available), no one may be denied boarding against his or her will until airline personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservation willingly, in exchange for compensation of the airline’s choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, other passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with the following boarding priority of American. In such events, American will usually deny boarding based upon check-in time, but we may also consider factors such as severe hardships, fare paid, and status within the AAdvantage® program.

If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of
‘‘denied boarding compensation’’ from the airline unless:

- You have not fully complied with the airline’s ticketing, check-in and reconfirmation requirements, or you are not acceptable for transportation under the airline’s usual rules and practices; or

- You are denied boarding because the flight is canceled; or

You are denied boarding because a smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons; or

- On a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or

- You are offered accommodations in a section of the aircraft other than specified in your ticket, at no extra charge (a passenger seated in a section for which a lower fare is charged must be given an appropriate refund); or

- The airline is able to place you on another flight or flights that are planned to reach your next stopover or final destination within one hour of the planned arrival time of your original flight.[/code]

The previous thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Print Wikipost

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
This new policy is a dumpster fire. Having been a gate agent, I can speak from experience that when you're working an oversold flight, your work level is already high. To add in a layer of obscurity in an attempt to mask what you're trying to accomplish is going to result in a higher work load, more stress and anxiety, less customer service, and a general lack of trust from the traveling public. Joe Bean Counter needs to staff a gate for a week before announcing a change like this. I hope over this Thanksgiving holiday that this blows up in AA's face. In today's age of entitlement, I'm sure the mainstream media will run for days the first time they get a report from a minority who received less VDB compensation than, say, a white male.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by MikeShores
This new policy is a dumpster fire. Having been a gate agent, I can speak from experience that when you're working an oversold flight, your work level is already high. To add in a layer of obscurity in an attempt to mask what you're trying to accomplish is going to result in a higher work load, more stress and anxiety, less customer service, and a general lack of trust from the traveling public. Joe Bean Counter needs to staff a gate for a week before announcing a change like this. I hope over this Thanksgiving holiday that this blows up in AA's face. In today's age of entitlement, I'm sure the mainstream media will run for days the first time they get a report from a minority who received less VDB compensation than, say, a white male.
I think that the point of this new secrecy procedure is exactly that -

Nobody will really be able to easily compare on the same flight unless they share notes hence the airline achieves $ savings by way of ignorant or unknowing passengers thinking that $100 VDB is a steal instead of having to fork over higher amounts to a larger group.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MikeShores
I agree. I wonder if we will see a change after the Thanksgiving weekend is over.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 1:11 am

did you carry on only. What is the implication for ONE checked bag?

Originally Posted by wolfie52
Monday was on AA785 SFO-CLT. Was seated in MCE window seat, flying with my son. During retrieval of my boarding pass I saw a notice that I could "bid" on being voluntarily bumped. I didn't really want to so proceeded to airport where the flight boarded and was ready to depart 5 minutes early.

Just before they closed the cabin door they made an announcement that they needed ONE volunteer to be bumped, to be guaranteed a seat on the next flight (3 hours later) for a $900 travel credit! They said ring your call button if interested....by the time I considered the implications--that would more than recover the total cost of our TWO tickets, but I would likely have a bad seat and I would have to get home late (we had my car at CLT but my son could drive himself home from the airport since he needed to get home for school) then thinking I could catch an Uber, etc...someone else had rung that bell. Oh well.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: Usairways Silver
GA playing games or what?

I had an interesting experience at MCO yesterday. I had a scheduled 3:05 departure to PHL. I checked in on the app and it gave amounts of $200 $250 $350 $450 if they need volunteers. I selected the $450 and went to the airport. At the gate they called me and two others up. I said to the GA you called me ? She said yes you agreed to give up your seat for $150... I said I never agreed to give up my seat for $150!! She showed what looked like my ticket to the GA standing next to her and made a face and she basically was like never mind... no sooner did I sit back down she announces they are looking for six volunteers tor $600 .. I was floored.. I go back up there and she says oh you aren’t eligible you declined. I said I declined your $150 offer she said no you declined $450 I said that’s not what you said she tells me I must have heard wrong! I said no I didn’t hear wrong and I even repeated the ridiculous offer back to her when she made the initial offer she insisted I am ineligible now.

the flight is almost all boarded and they announce they still need one volunteer for $750. I went up bc nobody else was and talked to another gate agent and I told him the story I said my offer still stands if you want my seat... he took my seat number and said will keep you in mind. Heard nothing further so I boarded my flight and sure enough an an agent comes over to my seat after I am settled in and asks if I still would be willing to give up my seat they can get me on the 8:26 pm
flight. I wanted the $750 so I deplaned and the same GA proceeded to rebook me and give me my voucher after I was deemed ineligible by her.. I was slightly annoyed bc I am a lot of things but hard of hearing isn’t one of them.

fast forward I am at the gate for the 8:26 flight and the GA asks for one or two volunteers for $525. I quickly went up and they told me they would give me a hotel and put me on the first 7am flight out and I agree as I have nowhere to be till tomorrow morning. I sit down and wait and I start talking to this woman who also was bumped off the 3 pm flight and also volunteered for the later bump. She also relayed to me that that GA also tried to scam her saying she offered to give up her seat for $150 and when she told her she never agreed to that the GA said you must have misunderstood me. Now idk what AA’s game is but allowing this GA to do this to people is wrong and in the end is costing them money bc I and the other woman were a lock at $450. I cannot figure out what legitimate purpose it served to lie to me and then try and make me look like I am crazy and that I didn’t hear right. While I am grateful for the $1275 vouchers I got yesterday for six hours of my time and btw I ended up getting on the 9:30 flight last night so the $525 was only a one extra hour delay, I am really put off at the way the whole thing on the earlier flight was handled. Is this something new going on or what?
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Klineact
I had an interesting experience at MCO yesterday. I had a scheduled 3:05 departure to PHL. I checked in on the app and it gave amounts of $200 $250 $350 $450 if they need volunteers. I selected the $450 and went to the airport. At the gate they called me and two others up. I said to the GA you called me ? She said yes you agreed to give up your seat for $150... I said I never agreed to give up my seat for $150!! She showed what looked like my ticket to the GA standing next to her and made a face and she basically was like never mind... no sooner did I sit back down she announces they are looking for six volunteers tor $600 .. I was floored.. I go back up there and she says oh you aren’t eligible you declined. I said I declined your $150 offer she said no you declined $450 I said that’s not what you said she tells me I must have heard wrong! I said no I didn’t hear wrong and I even repeated the ridiculous offer back to her when she made the initial offer she insisted I am ineligible now.

the flight is almost all boarded and they announce they still need one volunteer for $750. I went up bc nobody else was and talked to another gate agent and I told him the story I said my offer still stands if you want my seat... he took my seat number and said will keep you in mind. Heard nothing further so I boarded my flight and sure enough an an agent comes over to my seat after I am settled in and asks if I still would be willing to give up my seat they can get me on the 8:26 pm
flight. I wanted the $750 so I deplaned and the same GA proceeded to rebook me and give me my voucher after I was deemed ineligible by her.. I was slightly annoyed bc I am a lot of things but hard of hearing isn’t one of them.

fast forward I am at the gate for the 8:26 flight and the GA asks for one or two volunteers for $525. I quickly went up and they told me they would give me a hotel and put me on the first 7am flight out and I agree as I have nowhere to be till tomorrow morning. I sit down and wait and I start talking to this woman who also was bumped off the 3 pm flight and also volunteered for the later bump. She also relayed to me that that GA also tried to scam her saying she offered to give up her seat for $150 and when she told her she never agreed to that the GA said you must have misunderstood me. Now idk what AA’s game is but allowing this GA to do this to people is wrong and in the end is costing them money bc I and the other woman were a lock at $450. I cannot figure out what legitimate purpose it served to lie to me and then try and make me look like I am crazy and that I didn’t hear right. While I am grateful for the $1275 vouchers I got yesterday for six hours of my time and btw I ended up getting on the 9:30 flight last night so the $525 was only a one extra hour delay, I am really put off at the way the whole thing on the earlier flight was handled. Is this something new going on or what?
#goingforgreat
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
If you use a voucher, does that reduce your EQD?
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by enpremiere
I think that the point of this new secrecy procedure is exactly that -

Nobody will really be able to easily compare on the same flight unless they share notes hence the airline achieves $ savings by way of ignorant or unknowing passengers thinking that $100 VDB is a steal instead of having to fork over higher amounts to a larger group.
We should make the case to exchange that information, if we are in that situation. The policy is moving from one of fairness, ease and transparency to a shady, unfair, and stressful one.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
First time flying on AA in a VERY long time. Going SNA-DFW-IAD tomorrow and have the in app offer for 500, 600, 700 or 750 (guessing due to Thanksgiving travel). However, it only mentions SNA-DFW. I'm assuming that if bumped they would properly reroute me all the way (there's not other SNA-DFW that would meet up with the connection to IAD). I do need to be in VA for early meetings the next morning, so I'm not likely to take this. I've also got the additional complication that I booked the ticket before my comp'd Plat status from Hyatt went away, so I was able to pick MCE seats for free. Now that the status is gone, I see nothing but trouble if I do anything to disturb the current ticket.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Klineact

Maybe, just maybe, the system said you agreed to $150. And maybe, just maybe, when you said no to $150, she stopped paying attention.

I am not saying I do not believe you, just offering another possibility. After all, what benefit does the GA get from lying and trying to save AA money?

And great for you... $1275 for a 6 hour delay! ^^^
GrumpyYoungMan and donotblink like this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: Usairways Silver
Originally Posted by Global321
Maybe, just maybe, the system said you agreed to $150. And maybe, just maybe, when you said no to $150, she stopped paying attention.

I am not saying I do not believe you, just offering another possibility. After all, what benefit does the GA get from lying and trying to save AA money?

And great for you... $1275 for a 6 hour delay! ^^^
the thing is $150 was never an option on the app nor was that ever mentioned... they started out at $600 I might not have believed me either or I might have thought I was crazy had the same exact thing not happened to someone else... I don’t know what she had to gain perhaps hoping we took it to save AA money but the chances of it backfiring were pretty high and in this case more costly. But I agree the $1275 was definitely a winner!
Global321 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Score8
If you use a voucher, does that reduce your EQD?
No, you get full EQDs just like any other form of payment. It does take off some taxes from what you pay though.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:04 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Was flying MSP-PHL on Friday morning Nov 15. Nothing indicated in the app that the flight needed volunteers. I always check online though via Expert Flyer to see how many seats are still being sold. When I got to the gate more than an hour before departure I asked the gate agent if the flight might be oversold and if they might need volunteers. He said maybe. I mentioned the possibility of flying via DCA 90 minutes later and he protected me on that flight, also saying if they needed me I would get $425 voucher. No announcement was made in the gate area about needing volunteers.

After boarding began they said they would probably need me and not to board. Ended up getting bumped. Was going to arrive in PHL about 5 hours later. Ended up about 6 hours later due to delay of DCA-PHL flight. Still I was pleased.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
We should make the case to exchange that information, if we are in that situation. The policy is moving from one of fairness, ease and transparency to a shady, unfair, and stressful one.
The new policy will be more stressful for GAs, but I don't see anything shady or unfair about it. It's no different than the people in 7A and 7B paying different fares to get to the same destination.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by joe_miami
The new policy will be more stressful for GAs, but I don't see anything shady or unfair about it. It's no different than the people in 7A and 7B paying different fares to get to the same destination.
There is something unfair and shady about people volunteering seats on same flight and getting paid different amounts, something not right about it, and how the whole process goes down. It feels exploitative.

Last edited by nk15; Dec 2, 2019 at 7:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.