Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Bump Rates: Volunteer Compensation / Voluntary Denied Boarding

Passengers involuntarily denied boarding on AA are denied usually after calls for volunteers to accept vouchers (and occasionally variable other benefits), usually beginning at $200 or $300 but possibly going significantly higher, depending on passenger response. See more below, including AA Conditions of Carriage.

See IDB / Involuntarily Denied Boarding on AA & Compensation (master thread) for INVOLUNTARILY denied boarding.

Link to US Dept. of Transportation Aviation Consumer Protection Division's "Fly-Rights - A Consumer Guide to Air Travel" section on Overbooking

"IDB" (involuntarily denied boarding) compensation is governed in the USA by "14 CFR 250.5 - Amount of denied boarding compensation for passengers denied boarding involuntarily".

Link to CFR §250.5; as well:

14 CFR § 250.2b Carriers to request volunteers for denied boarding.
(a) In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall request volunteers for denied boarding before using any other boarding priority. A “volunteer” is a person who responds to the carrier's request for volunteers and who willingly accepts the carriers' offer of compensation, in any amount, in exchange for relinquishing the confirmed reserved space. Any other passenger denied boarding is considered for purposes of this part to have been denied boarding involuntarily, even if that passenger accepts the denied boarding compensation.

(b) Every carrier shall advise each passenger solicited to volunteer for denied boarding, no later than the time the carrier solicits that passenger to volunteer, whether he or she is in danger of being involuntarily denied boarding and, if so, the compensation the carrier is obligated to pay if the passenger is involuntarily denied boarding. If an insufficient number of volunteers come forward, the carrier may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with its boarding priority rules.

14 CFR § 250.9 Written explanation of denied boarding compensation and boarding priorities, and verbal notification of denied boarding compensation.
(a) Every carrier shall furnish passengers who are denied boarding involuntarily from flights on which they hold confirmed reserved space immediately after the denied boarding occurs, a written statement explaining the terms, conditions, and limitations of denied boarding compensation, and describing the carriers' boarding priority rules and criteria. The carrier shall also furnish the statement to any person upon request at all airport ticket selling positions which are in the charge of a person employed exclusively by the carrier, or by it jointly with another person or persons, and at all boarding locations being used by the carrier.

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage, "Oversales"

In the European Union, EC261/2004 governs denied boarding compensation.

Link to EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints and AA (master thread)

On American Airlines, you are sometimes ineligible for IDB as allowed by the USDOT:
If a flight is oversold (more passengers hold confirmed reservations than there are seats available), no one may be denied boarding against his or her will until airline personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservation willingly, in exchange for compensation of the airline’s choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, other passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with the following boarding priority of American. In such events, American will usually deny boarding based upon check-in time, but we may also consider factors such as severe hardships, fare paid, and status within the AAdvantage® program.

If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of
‘‘denied boarding compensation’’ from the airline unless:

- You have not fully complied with the airline’s ticketing, check-in and reconfirmation requirements, or you are not acceptable for transportation under the airline’s usual rules and practices; or

- You are denied boarding because the flight is canceled; or

You are denied boarding because a smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons; or

- On a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or

- You are offered accommodations in a section of the aircraft other than specified in your ticket, at no extra charge (a passenger seated in a section for which a lower fare is charged must be given an appropriate refund); or

- The airline is able to place you on another flight or flights that are planned to reach your next stopover or final destination within one hour of the planned arrival time of your original flight.[/code]

The previous thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Print Wikipost

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2010, 4:00 pm

Voluntary Denied Boarding - Why & How Much?

I couldn't find a newer thread that discussed this issue. And given that we are in the summer season with trimmed flight schedules, this seems to be an appropriate topic of discussion.

My relatively-recent experience:

I was compensated $800 for 3 nights on American Airlines ($2400 total in AA vouchers.)

These were for voluntary deplaning on their JFK-EZE (Buenos Aires) flight. It was oversold EVERY flight during that time (around weekend of Feb 12.) We could have continued to get bumped for the foreseeable future, but decided to carry on with our journey.

We also got hotel and food vouchers. The hotel was nice but in a sucky area (La Quinta in Jamaica, Queens).

We would do it again in a heartbeat. In fact, I am attempting to plan our next vacation in a high-season time.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I always bump my flights if I can. As someone who only does personal travel, I can stretch those vouchers for mileage runs.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by romeoguy
I couldn't find a newer thread that discussed this issue.
Did you see this one? This thread was started late last year and the last post was less than two weeks ago.

Search term: "vdb"

AA Bump Rates - compensation for VDB?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
GSO-DFW tonight. Overbooked and oversold by one. I was the first volunteer, and the only volunteer. They offered $400, I countered with $600, they agreed on $500. Got put on UA, flying GSO-IAD-AUS vs. my original GSO-DFW-AUS on AA. Get in 2.5 hours later.

That's two $500 vouchers in less than a week.

Now, anyone know what AA's policy is on ORC, or better yet, actual mileage credit? It's 1797 miles as flown vs. 1549 as ticketed (with 500 mile DFW-AUS minimum).
Old Jul 28, 2011, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
I got VDB on an RDU-DFW plane last week and got $300 plus A class fare on next flight plus a brekkie voucher. Next flight was also oversold and were asking for volunteers again, offering $300 again. I could've taken it and they gave me two options:

1) Go RDU-ORD-SAT (instead of RDU-DFW-SAT) but fly middle seat RDU-ORD then FC ORD-SAT on an ERJ or
2) Go RDU-DFW-SAT same A class fare but 4 hours later.

Ended up not taking either option and just flew what they had originally routed to. Later on, I wished I had taken that second voucher.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Hm... never saw this thread before, but some data:

March 2011
STL-LAX (last flight of night)
$400 voucher, Dinner and Breakfast Vouchers, Hotel Room; Rebooked STL-DFW-LAX next morning

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 2011
LAX-ORD
$200 Voucher, Rebooked LAX-ORD 1:15 later
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: Various
I've noticed that even though I've been on oversold flights and been on the volunteer list to take another flight, I am not chosen as a volunteer when I am am on a (not full) Y fare, PLT status, and previously cleared into F (X). Of the few VDB offers I have been given, they have all been on a coach fare, and even once for a T (SAaver Coach Award).
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Robt760
I've noticed that even though I've been on oversold flights and been on the volunteer list to take another flight, I am not chosen as a volunteer when I am am on a (not full) Y fare, PLT status, and previously cleared into F (X). Of the few VDB offers I have been given, they have all been on a coach fare, and even once for a T (SAaver Coach Award).
I used to have times when I got the vouchers because I had status. Sometimes, they oversold by 1, and 3 people came up to volunteer, and I was #3, and I wound up being the one who got bumped.

I hope AA is not making a change here. I'm sure a nonelite is more likely not to use the paper voucher and more likely will lose it, so I can see how AA's best interest is to let a kettle take the voucher.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Xero
I used to have times when I got the vouchers because I had status. Sometimes, they oversold by 1, and 3 people came up to volunteer, and I was #3, and I wound up being the one who got bumped.

I hope AA is not making a change here. I'm sure a nonelite is more likely not to use the paper voucher and more likely will lose it, so I can see how AA's best interest is to let a kettle take the voucher.
I took a bump earlier this month sitting in F (I was already seated in 3A). A young girl at the podium waiting to get a seat assignment with no status was elated because she was getting my F seat.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:02 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
I received $300 for a bump on Eagle last summer BOS-DCA-STL.

Got rerouted BOS-DCA (US) - STL (AA)
Old Jul 29, 2011, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Robt760
It may be the case that they do whatever is easiest. If there was no F available on later flights, maybe they didn't want to deal with downgrading you.

I have been given a bump because I had cleared an upgrade to First, and the only seat on the later flight was in F, so she could rebook me immediately, compared to some others on the list. The Plat who got my seat was pretty happy.

Data: $300 for a Monday morning ~8:00 am flight DCA-DFW in April, flew home in F ~2 hours later.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 12:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLT
At DFW today they were offering $500 to be bumped off DFW-SFO and collected ten volunteers. Alternate flight was 4 hours later into SJC.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
At LHR this morning, volunteers were solicited from oversold AA 173 to RDU. The offer was a €600 voucher (yes €, not Ł). Mad rush to the podium followed.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
While I haven't been flying AA quite as much as UA, I've seen some full-in-Y AA flights this year, but nothing oversold. A quick comparison of the five or so posts here in 2011 compared to the many, many pages in the UA forums thread on 2011 VDB compensation suggests that bumps are much more frequent over there (which coincides with my experiences between AA and UA).

Is that actually the case?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP .72MM
I got a $350 on AE

Originally Posted by GregL
I received $300 for a bump on Eagle last summer BOS-DCA-STL.

Got rerouted BOS-DCA (US) - STL (AA)
In June I was on a flight from ORD to MKE and got on one that left 3 hours later and a $350 Voucher!
It was on a MR and still made my return flights on time!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.