Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Bump Rates: Volunteer Compensation / Voluntary Denied Boarding

Passengers involuntarily denied boarding on AA are denied usually after calls for volunteers to accept vouchers (and occasionally variable other benefits), usually beginning at $200 or $300 but possibly going significantly higher, depending on passenger response. See more below, including AA Conditions of Carriage.

See IDB / Involuntarily Denied Boarding on AA & Compensation (master thread) for INVOLUNTARILY denied boarding.

Link to US Dept. of Transportation Aviation Consumer Protection Division's "Fly-Rights - A Consumer Guide to Air Travel" section on Overbooking

"IDB" (involuntarily denied boarding) compensation is governed in the USA by "14 CFR 250.5 - Amount of denied boarding compensation for passengers denied boarding involuntarily".

Link to CFR §250.5; as well:

14 CFR § 250.2b Carriers to request volunteers for denied boarding.
(a) In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall request volunteers for denied boarding before using any other boarding priority. A “volunteer” is a person who responds to the carrier's request for volunteers and who willingly accepts the carriers' offer of compensation, in any amount, in exchange for relinquishing the confirmed reserved space. Any other passenger denied boarding is considered for purposes of this part to have been denied boarding involuntarily, even if that passenger accepts the denied boarding compensation.

(b) Every carrier shall advise each passenger solicited to volunteer for denied boarding, no later than the time the carrier solicits that passenger to volunteer, whether he or she is in danger of being involuntarily denied boarding and, if so, the compensation the carrier is obligated to pay if the passenger is involuntarily denied boarding. If an insufficient number of volunteers come forward, the carrier may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with its boarding priority rules.

14 CFR § 250.9 Written explanation of denied boarding compensation and boarding priorities, and verbal notification of denied boarding compensation.
(a) Every carrier shall furnish passengers who are denied boarding involuntarily from flights on which they hold confirmed reserved space immediately after the denied boarding occurs, a written statement explaining the terms, conditions, and limitations of denied boarding compensation, and describing the carriers' boarding priority rules and criteria. The carrier shall also furnish the statement to any person upon request at all airport ticket selling positions which are in the charge of a person employed exclusively by the carrier, or by it jointly with another person or persons, and at all boarding locations being used by the carrier.

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage, "Oversales"

In the European Union, EC261/2004 governs denied boarding compensation.

Link to EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints and AA (master thread)

On American Airlines, you are sometimes ineligible for IDB as allowed by the USDOT:
If a flight is oversold (more passengers hold confirmed reservations than there are seats available), no one may be denied boarding against his or her will until airline personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservation willingly, in exchange for compensation of the airline’s choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, other passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with the following boarding priority of American. In such events, American will usually deny boarding based upon check-in time, but we may also consider factors such as severe hardships, fare paid, and status within the AAdvantage® program.

If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of
‘‘denied boarding compensation’’ from the airline unless:

- You have not fully complied with the airline’s ticketing, check-in and reconfirmation requirements, or you are not acceptable for transportation under the airline’s usual rules and practices; or

- You are denied boarding because the flight is canceled; or

You are denied boarding because a smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons; or

- On a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or

- You are offered accommodations in a section of the aircraft other than specified in your ticket, at no extra charge (a passenger seated in a section for which a lower fare is charged must be given an appropriate refund); or

- The airline is able to place you on another flight or flights that are planned to reach your next stopover or final destination within one hour of the planned arrival time of your original flight.[/code]

The previous thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Print Wikipost

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL, HH, Bonvoy
12:30ish SFO-PHX flight overbooked, asked for one volunteer. $500 and a four hour delay to the next flight.

Accepted it and the next flight also looks like it's overbooked... maybe we can keep this going.

Only unfortunate thing is that the AmEx lounge at SFO is in Terminal 3 and AA is Terminal 2, so I've cleared security four times now.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 4:00 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Zeromus-X
Only unfortunate thing is that the AmEx lounge at SFO is in Terminal 3 and AA is Terminal 2, so I've cleared security four times now.
I’m pretty sure you could go from T2 to T3 (or T1) via post-security footbridge.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uxb
I’m pretty sure you could go from T2 to T3 (or T1) via post-security footbridge.
Are you sure? SFO has a T1-T2 airside connector but I have never seen a T2-T3 connection.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by uxb

You can't.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
On AA 1614 today IAH to MIA, offering $950 voucher at gate plus hotel to take flight tomorrow.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by FAA1996
On AA 1614 today IAH to MIA, offering $950 voucher at gate plus hotel to take flight tomorrow.
That is not nearly enough Would hold our for more.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by unionunionunion
I didn't volunteer. Not sure what happened as I boarded with group 1, just heard the announcement before boarding.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by unionunionunion
Not nearly enough because you miss July 4th itself and spend the day flying? Would it have been enough on another date that wasn’t a holiday?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Took a bump this morning out of LGA. Was already seated in F (paid ticket) when they came on the plane looking for one more volunteer and I took it. Ended up on a flight about 90 min later, but in Y (standby). Should I be able to get original routing credit in the form of EQMs? Flight already posted and it was the later one in Y without the extra EQM.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:05 am

Duplicate

Last edited by socalterp; Jul 4, 2019 at 11:05 am Reason: Duplicate
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by socalterp
Took a bump this morning out of LGA. Was already seated in F (paid ticket) when they came on the plane looking for one more volunteer and I took it. Ended up on a flight about 90 min later, but in Y (standby). Should I be able to get original routing credit in the form of EQMs? Flight already posted and it was the later one in Y without the extra EQM.
Good question, can't hurt to write in and ask. I would think the voluntary nature of the DB might mean you're SOL.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by socalterp
Equally important, what was the offer?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere

Equally important, what was the offer?
$600...Confirmed on a flight later in the afternoon. Asked for F, no seats (put on waitlist), guaranteed me an exit row. Tried to standby the next flight, 30 minutes later, was #1 on the list, but didn't make it. Rolled over to the next flight, was #2 on standby and made it, albeit way in the back. Got home 90 min later for $600, not bad....
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FAA1996
$950 PLUS a hotel....I would have taken that in a heart beat.
largeeyes and LovePrunes like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: Many Affiliations: AA ExPlat, AA MM Gold Lifetime+, Hilton Diamond and such
JFK-ORD 0725 hours on 2 Jul -- AA.com started asking for volunteers on the app with $325 as the high end. Two left the main cabin for $500 about five minutes before door closure. Not sure of the next available flight time but it was under four hours and was POS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.