Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Bump Rates: Volunteer Compensation / Voluntary Denied Boarding

Passengers involuntarily denied boarding on AA are denied usually after calls for volunteers to accept vouchers (and occasionally variable other benefits), usually beginning at $200 or $300 but possibly going significantly higher, depending on passenger response. See more below, including AA Conditions of Carriage.

See IDB / Involuntarily Denied Boarding on AA & Compensation (master thread) for INVOLUNTARILY denied boarding.

Link to US Dept. of Transportation Aviation Consumer Protection Division's "Fly-Rights - A Consumer Guide to Air Travel" section on Overbooking

"IDB" (involuntarily denied boarding) compensation is governed in the USA by "14 CFR 250.5 - Amount of denied boarding compensation for passengers denied boarding involuntarily".

Link to CFR §250.5; as well:

14 CFR § 250.2b Carriers to request volunteers for denied boarding.
(a) In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall request volunteers for denied boarding before using any other boarding priority. A “volunteer” is a person who responds to the carrier's request for volunteers and who willingly accepts the carriers' offer of compensation, in any amount, in exchange for relinquishing the confirmed reserved space. Any other passenger denied boarding is considered for purposes of this part to have been denied boarding involuntarily, even if that passenger accepts the denied boarding compensation.

(b) Every carrier shall advise each passenger solicited to volunteer for denied boarding, no later than the time the carrier solicits that passenger to volunteer, whether he or she is in danger of being involuntarily denied boarding and, if so, the compensation the carrier is obligated to pay if the passenger is involuntarily denied boarding. If an insufficient number of volunteers come forward, the carrier may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with its boarding priority rules.

14 CFR § 250.9 Written explanation of denied boarding compensation and boarding priorities, and verbal notification of denied boarding compensation.
(a) Every carrier shall furnish passengers who are denied boarding involuntarily from flights on which they hold confirmed reserved space immediately after the denied boarding occurs, a written statement explaining the terms, conditions, and limitations of denied boarding compensation, and describing the carriers' boarding priority rules and criteria. The carrier shall also furnish the statement to any person upon request at all airport ticket selling positions which are in the charge of a person employed exclusively by the carrier, or by it jointly with another person or persons, and at all boarding locations being used by the carrier.

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage, "Oversales"

In the European Union, EC261/2004 governs denied boarding compensation.

Link to EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints and AA (master thread)

On American Airlines, you are sometimes ineligible for IDB as allowed by the USDOT:
If a flight is oversold (more passengers hold confirmed reservations than there are seats available), no one may be denied boarding against his or her will until airline personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservation willingly, in exchange for compensation of the airline’s choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, other passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with the following boarding priority of American. In such events, American will usually deny boarding based upon check-in time, but we may also consider factors such as severe hardships, fare paid, and status within the AAdvantage® program.

If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of
‘‘denied boarding compensation’’ from the airline unless:

- You have not fully complied with the airline’s ticketing, check-in and reconfirmation requirements, or you are not acceptable for transportation under the airline’s usual rules and practices; or

- You are denied boarding because the flight is canceled; or

You are denied boarding because a smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons; or

- On a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or

- You are offered accommodations in a section of the aircraft other than specified in your ticket, at no extra charge (a passenger seated in a section for which a lower fare is charged must be given an appropriate refund); or

- The airline is able to place you on another flight or flights that are planned to reach your next stopover or final destination within one hour of the planned arrival time of your original flight.[/code]

The previous thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Print Wikipost

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HIltonHonors Diamond, KrisFlyer Silver, BW Diamond
Wow, $900 credits to be 3 hours late!

Monday was on AA785 SFO-CLT. Was seated in MCE window seat, flying with my son. During retrieval of my boarding pass I saw a notice that I could "bid" on being voluntarily bumped. I didn't really want to so proceeded to airport where the flight boarded and was ready to depart 5 minutes early.

Just before they closed the cabin door they made an announcement that they needed ONE volunteer to be bumped, to be guaranteed a seat on the next flight (3 hours later) for a $900 travel credit! They said ring your call button if interested....by the time I considered the implications--that would more than recover the total cost of our TWO tickets, but I would likely have a bad seat and I would have to get home late (we had my car at CLT but my son could drive himself home from the airport since he needed to get home for school) then thinking I could catch an Uber, etc...someone else had rung that bell. Oh well.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wolfie52
Monday was on AA785 SFO-CLT. Was seated in MCE window seat, flying with my son. During retrieval of my boarding pass I saw a notice that I could "bid" on being voluntarily bumped. I didn't really want to so proceeded to airport where the flight boarded and was ready to depart 5 minutes early.

Just before they closed the cabin door they made an announcement that they needed ONE volunteer to be bumped, to be guaranteed a seat on the next flight (3 hours later) for a $900 travel credit! They said ring your call button if interested....by the time I considered the implications--that would more than recover the total cost of our TWO tickets, but I would likely have a bad seat and I would have to get home late (we had my car at CLT but my son could drive himself home from the airport since he needed to get home for school) then thinking I could catch an Uber, etc...someone else had rung that bell. Oh well.
Not surprised it was a larger amount - with the boarding pretty much complete, it's harder to pull someone out of a seat than to divert them before they've boarded. Too bad you couldn't get in on that action!
Old May 22, 2019, 10:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
MIA-PHL 763 service last weekend asking for 3 volunteers to take the 5 hours later flight for $750 very quickly raised to $1,000. I was connecting to an international flight so wouldn't have worked for me and I didn't detect a rush to take up the offer from other passengers.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:27 am

Monday 21st, Dallas to Phoenix was oversold and was asking for 2 volunteers at boarding time. They had 13 volunteers who were willing to take a later flight when the first announcement was made. First 2 volunteers on the list got vouchers, I think it was for $500 each.
Weather was playing havoc in Dallas that day and they had many cancellations. I could hear bump offers all around the gates.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
MIA-PHL 763 service last weekend asking for 3 volunteers to take the 5 hours later flight for $750 very quickly raised to $1,000. I was connecting to an international flight so wouldn't have worked for me and I didn't detect a rush to take up the offer from other passengers.
That's a bit strange. Was that the early morning flight? A couple of weeks ago the AA app was asking for volunteers. AC told me go down and ask at the gate and let them know I had volunteered via the app. The GA said oversold by 6, offering vouchers of $400 but only used me as a single volunteer. She said something to the effect this flight always has substantial number of no shows so don't get my hopes up. And not only were there 6 no shows but quite a number of standbys accommodated. At least I got Op up to F.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
That's a bit strange. Was that the early morning flight? A couple of weeks ago the AA app was asking for volunteers. AC told me go down and ask at the gate and let them know I had volunteered via the app. The GA said oversold by 6, offering vouchers of $400 but only used me as a single volunteer. She said something to the effect this flight always has substantial number of no shows so don't get my hopes up. And not only were there 6 no shows but quite a number of standbys accommodated. At least I got Op up to F.
The 1339 departure on 18 May. As I recall the alternative flight offered was due to leave sometime after 1900 hrs which was several hours too late for my TATL flight.

Old May 29, 2019, 9:57 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I was on the 1:39 PM MIA-PHL 767-300 earlier this week which was booked to 103%. There were a number of no shows and standbys even cleared.
Old May 29, 2019, 1:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
PHX-SFO yesterday afternoon. Oversold by 1, but no one was biting at the $500 voucher offer pre-boarding. No takers.

GA came down the jetway, got on the PA and offered $1050 to the first person to agree to be bumped to the evening flight. I almost took it, but my DW shot me a strong glare

After much discussion at the door, ended up that a late connection wasn't going to make it and they didn't need a volunteer in the end. Strange way it played out, but oh well!
Old May 31, 2019, 12:26 pm

Two weeks ago, just as I was boarding the SFO-ORD flight at 10:30 am (literally as my boarding pass was being scanned), the GA got on the intercom to announce that they were offering $575 to fly on the 11:10 pm flight. I didn't hear any previous announcement, but I had only arrived from the AC a few minutes before boarding started. I could have stayed the extra half day, but I wasn't in the mood to fly a red-eye and be at work the next morning.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
AA 1039 the 2:28 PM RDU-LGA E90 was oversold by two today. I volunteered as did two other people. They took me based on my status and the third passenger to volunteer, the first guy who actually cut in front of me to get to the desk lost out. We got $325 to go on the 4:00 PM flight though that's annoyingly delayed so it won't be as profitable as I hoped.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Smile $1100 vdb aa dfw-sjd 14-may

AA flight DFW to SJD was over by one(1).

Offer was $800 and travel next day or same day via MEX arriving at mid-night.
I countered at $1,100 and no food voucher (on expense paid biz trip).
Agreed. (two vouchers, $700 and $400).

I then suggested AA DFW-LAX connecting to AS LAX-SJD.
Agreed
Arrived same-day, four(4) hours later than originally planned.
renila, CMK10, Global321 and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Billiken

Agreed
Nice catch, and good job knowing your options.

AA also got a good deal here by not having to fork $$ over to a code-share on the MEX-SJD leg. Have fun in Cabo!
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: HHonors, UA, AA, CET
Redeye from KOA to PHX overbooked

Initial offer $650 plus hotel - no takers

A few minutes later it increased to $850 plus hotel and they got the volunteers they needed

I was changing islands the next morning and this flight was for my 2 unaccompanied minors so we couldn't take it. I don't see much inconvenience being stuck in Hawaii an extra day
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Billiken

Agreed
I’m surprised at just one oversell the GA would agree to this. Normally they’d try to solicit another volunteer. Now if the flight had been sizably oversold that would have been a different story,
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
A winning day of air travel

Had one of my best VBD's ever today - $900 and an earlier arrival - full story below

Was booked as follows:
DEN-ORD, Saturday afternoon, A321 - upgrade cleared at 25 hours
ORD-DCA, Saturday evening, A319 (last flight of the night) - upgrade cleared at 100 hours

At the gate for DEN-ORD, agent announces they need 10 volunteers. Talking to her - the flight is actually over by 15(!).

$900 voucher offered and accepted.

Rebooked DEN-DFW-DCA, scheduled arrival 1.5 hours later than my original ORD-DCA. Booked in MCE aisle seats all the way.

Fly to DFW, go have dinner at Pappadeaux. Go to the gate for DFW-DCA, find that I've cleared the upgrade. ^

Currently ~45 minutes out from landing at DCA - check AA flight status - to see that my orginal ORD-DCA flight is posting a 3+ hour delay, scheduled arrival DCA at 2am, around 2 hours after the flight that I am on will land.

So came out $900 voucher ahead, still got upgraded, and landed earlier than I would have on my scheduled.

I'm gonna get a karmic comeuppance for this one...
renila, CMK10, serfty and 8 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.