Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Bump Rates: Volunteer Compensation / Voluntary Denied Boarding

Passengers involuntarily denied boarding on AA are denied usually after calls for volunteers to accept vouchers (and occasionally variable other benefits), usually beginning at $200 or $300 but possibly going significantly higher, depending on passenger response. See more below, including AA Conditions of Carriage.

See IDB / Involuntarily Denied Boarding on AA & Compensation (master thread) for INVOLUNTARILY denied boarding.

Link to US Dept. of Transportation Aviation Consumer Protection Division's "Fly-Rights - A Consumer Guide to Air Travel" section on Overbooking

"IDB" (involuntarily denied boarding) compensation is governed in the USA by "14 CFR 250.5 - Amount of denied boarding compensation for passengers denied boarding involuntarily".

Link to CFR §250.5; as well:

14 CFR § 250.2b Carriers to request volunteers for denied boarding.
(a) In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall request volunteers for denied boarding before using any other boarding priority. A “volunteer” is a person who responds to the carrier's request for volunteers and who willingly accepts the carriers' offer of compensation, in any amount, in exchange for relinquishing the confirmed reserved space. Any other passenger denied boarding is considered for purposes of this part to have been denied boarding involuntarily, even if that passenger accepts the denied boarding compensation.

(b) Every carrier shall advise each passenger solicited to volunteer for denied boarding, no later than the time the carrier solicits that passenger to volunteer, whether he or she is in danger of being involuntarily denied boarding and, if so, the compensation the carrier is obligated to pay if the passenger is involuntarily denied boarding. If an insufficient number of volunteers come forward, the carrier may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with its boarding priority rules.

14 CFR § 250.9 Written explanation of denied boarding compensation and boarding priorities, and verbal notification of denied boarding compensation.
(a) Every carrier shall furnish passengers who are denied boarding involuntarily from flights on which they hold confirmed reserved space immediately after the denied boarding occurs, a written statement explaining the terms, conditions, and limitations of denied boarding compensation, and describing the carriers' boarding priority rules and criteria. The carrier shall also furnish the statement to any person upon request at all airport ticket selling positions which are in the charge of a person employed exclusively by the carrier, or by it jointly with another person or persons, and at all boarding locations being used by the carrier.

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage, "Oversales"

In the European Union, EC261/2004 governs denied boarding compensation.

Link to EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints and AA (master thread)

On American Airlines, you are sometimes ineligible for IDB as allowed by the USDOT:
If a flight is oversold (more passengers hold confirmed reservations than there are seats available), no one may be denied boarding against his or her will until airline personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservation willingly, in exchange for compensation of the airline’s choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, other passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with the following boarding priority of American. In such events, American will usually deny boarding based upon check-in time, but we may also consider factors such as severe hardships, fare paid, and status within the AAdvantage® program.

If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of
‘‘denied boarding compensation’’ from the airline unless:

- You have not fully complied with the airline’s ticketing, check-in and reconfirmation requirements, or you are not acceptable for transportation under the airline’s usual rules and practices; or

- You are denied boarding because the flight is canceled; or

You are denied boarding because a smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons; or

- On a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or

- You are offered accommodations in a section of the aircraft other than specified in your ticket, at no extra charge (a passenger seated in a section for which a lower fare is charged must be given an appropriate refund); or

- The airline is able to place you on another flight or flights that are planned to reach your next stopover or final destination within one hour of the planned arrival time of your original flight.[/code]

The previous thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Print Wikipost

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:05 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by tom911
I'd read the fine print on those. Aren't they only good on AA flights/AA metal? That would exclude Hong Kong.

I redeemed one yesterday for Olympic Trials in Omaha ($452 fare---I've never paid that much for a domestic flight). Used another for Madrid two months ago.

If you do take an overnight bump I'd expect AA to provide a hotel. Ask about that when you volunteer.
They are only good on AA/AE, but the OP can still travel to PVG and then spend some miles to fly between there and HKG.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by macmedia
I was booked on a SFO-JFK flight today. Checked in 3 hrs prior and the ticket agent offers a "free flight ticket". I said great and she booked me for the red-eye flight. Get the voucher and it says $250. I reminded her that she offered me a FLIGHT ticket (expecting a domestic ticket - do they still do that anymore??) Well I had to take it as she already pulled me out of the seat and supposedly lost it. Not a real biggie but slightly disappointed.

Walked to the new gate and an hour later I strolled by my old flight. Talked with one of people waiting around and asked him about the bumps. He told me they were offering $500. Doh! Feeling ripped off, I immediately went to the agent and she said I wasn't supposed to be offered the $250. After a few minutes, she whipped me out a new $500 voucher. Nice bonus for just walking by. Evidently this flight was way overbooked and they had something like 14 people with vouchers.

Waiting for my next redeye flight right now and looking at the passenger load, I might get lucky and score me a second voucher. I'm technically getting old for this sleep-in-the-airport gig but the house is empty and there's free wifi in SFO. Plus I'm on vacation for a few more days. Crossing my fingers now - lol. Looking to buy a ticket to HKG in June and fares are pushing $2k so these vouchers will definitely help.
Nice work! Wish I could've been on that flight. Your vouchers should work on CX if it's an AA codeshare. I used some AA VDB vouchers on some Alaska Airlines flights before and it wasn't a problem.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Scored 2 x $300 voucher for taking a 5 hours later flight SFO-ORD. We went to Chinatown, had dimsum and came back. Not bad for those $143 W fare SFO-ORD-BOS
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
In what order do GAs give out vouchers assuming not all volunteers are needed? Is it by who volunteered first or Is it by status?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Xero
In what order do GAs give out vouchers assuming not all volunteers are needed? Is it by who volunteered first or Is it by status?
I've been told that it goes by check-in time, but to some extent, it will be GA disretion (due to the ability to reroute you, get you a new connection in the next city, etc.).
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:01 pm

Got $300 voucher to be put on the next flight dfw-sjc (2.5 hrs later).
Was going to clear into F on my original flight. They couldn't get me in F on the later flight as it was sold out.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:43 am
uxb

Got a $500,- voucher for giving up my business seat on the SFO-JFK red-eye. Going home 16 hours later.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by uxb
Got a $500,- voucher for giving up my business seat on the SFO-JFK red-eye. Going home 16 hours later.
Were you ticketed in coach or business?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:10 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by mmjaysee
Were you ticketed in coach or business?
Business award ticket. The offer was he same for people in Coach. Two guys in coach also took the offer.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:00 pm
uxb

AA Bump Rates - compensation for VDB?

For the record, the offer for my replacement flight from SFO was $300. No I didn't volunteer again.

Last edited by uxb; Oct 9, 2012 at 8:00 am
Old Oct 8, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
I'm hAAppy

I was bumped from an AA flight departing at 8:05 Saturday morning from DCA to DFW. I received a $300 voucher. I checked flight aware and found that their 6 a.m. flight on the same route had been cancelled.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:06 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Would you take a bump for $40

At checkin for the 6:30 am BHM-DFW flight on Sunday, we received what just has to be the lowest VDB offer in history:

"We're oversold on that flight. Would you be interested in traveling at 5:55 pm tomorrow in exchange for a $200 travel voucher?"

Let's see, NOT take any of today's three flights, NOT take the first two flights tomorrow, finally fly on the SIXTH flight from now?

"Yes, I'd be interested in a $200 travel voucher for being bumped. You offered to bump me five consecutive times, so that's $1000 total, right?"

Wrong. $200 for five bumps works out to $40 per bump. Obviously, I declined their offer. One just has to wonder what would happen if they only need one volunteer from my party of two? The other traveler has to pay $150 change fee? Wow.

I wonder if they got their volunteer.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
It does seem like a lowball offer, but in certain situations (e.g. on vacation, in no big hurry to get back), I'd be happy to take the $200.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:13 pm

I don't think saying 'take a bump for $40' is the right way to look at it. But there may well be people who for any number of reason might want an extra day in BHM.

Lots of times they are offering vouchers I see people literally running to the gate. From AA's perspective they might as well start low, even if in this case when the flight being offered is so far away. Someone might take it, and if not one minute later they can offer $400, etc.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
If you had no particular need to leave and wanted another night with your SO, you might appreciate the bump and voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.