Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: “Bus. Purpose" Admirals Club Access: Gate Pass ONLY w/ rent conference room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Member and Guest of Flying Business Purpose Access to Admirals Club - OVER

Link to the current thread.

14 Sep 2016 (unannounced), verified with Meeting Services and Admirals Club Service Center:

Gate passes will ONLY be available to previously declared participants at meetings in rented (paid for) conference facilities at those Clubs that have them. Participants must be registered at least 24 hours in advance with Club Member or Meeting Services (they're closed weekends).

NO MORE gate passes for Admirals Club members declaring business purposes more than 24 hours in advance.

NO MORE gate passes for Admirals Club members' guests when declaring business purposes more than 24 hours in advance.

NO MORE gate passes for Admirals Club members at the ticket counter (has been gone some time now).

Club members may still enter and use Admirals Clubs when they have airside access for other reasons than flying AA, but gate pass availability is gone other than as described above.

Revised Admirals Club Terms and Conditions: link.

Q. I am a member and would like to meet someone at the airport, but I'm not flying today. Can I get through Security to get to the Admirals Club lounge?

A: Generally not. If you have rented a conference room you and your conferees may access the Club by previous arrangement. Casual access / walking up to the ticket counter to request a gate pass is not permitted; please do not put employees in an uncomfortable position by asking.

Members and non-members can NO LONGER schedule and attend business meetings (rented conference room or non-conference room meetings) in the Admirals Club® or Executive Center without traveling.

To admit yourself and conferees you must call at least 24 hours in advance and have rented a conference room at that Club:

Please contact Admirals Club Customer Service at least 24 hours prior to your business meeting by dialing 1-800 237-7971 from the U.S, Canada, or Puerto Rico, and pressing Option 1 or by dialing 1-817-963-6100 (from international locations) between the hours* of 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. (Central Time) and providing the following information at least 24 hours in advance:
  • Admirals Club number/AAdvantage® number
  • Legal name as it appears on government issued identification for each individual
  • Birth dates, including year, for each individual (maximum of two guests allowed for non-conference room meeting)*
  • Location, date and time of rented conference room meeting
We will arrange for Security clearance with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) to allow you to get to the lounge. This opportunity is available for Admirals Club members only (and their conferees attending a meeting in a paid conference room).

*(Times corrected to current service center hours)

From language on aa.com in the wiki of Admirals Club Membership: Annual, Citi Card and 30 Day (+ 1 Day Pass) (master thread). Italicized parts added for clarification.

Q. Am I required to rent a conference room to meet with others?

Yes, you are, as of 14 Sep 2015.

Q. Can't I just purchase a fully refundable ticket and use that?

It's honestly not a good idea, as this practice is specifically prohibited by American Airlines' Conditions of Carriage (Link):

American specifically prohibits practices commonly known as:

...Fraudulent, fictitious and abusive bookings: Fraudulent, fictitious and/or abusive bookings are prohibited. These types of bookings are defined as ... or to gain access to airport facilities....
Updated 17 Nov 2016 by JDiver

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: “Bus. Purpose" Admirals Club Access: Gate Pass ONLY w/ rent conference room

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2009, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Just a quick question not answered after a bit of searching...

I'm an RDU-based AC member. My son is turning into a bit of an airplane/airport fan, and asked to go to the airport tomorrow (RDU also has an outdoor observation deck/play area which he likes).

I'd like to get a gate pass to take him through security into the terminal and AC (they do have Krispy Kreme doughnuts after all).

No interest in buying a couple refundable tix... but now that you can't contact the clubs directly, any options? Can I get a gate pass just by showing up at the check-in desk? Also... I know a gate pass can be issued for an AC member with a meeting. Should I stretch the truth that we have an AC meeting, as telling the check-in agent "we just want to wander around the terminal" would likely not get me the pass.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dave_261
Just a quick question not answered after a bit of searching...

I'm an RDU-based AC member. My son is turning into a bit of an airplane/airport fan, and asked to go to the airport tomorrow (RDU also has an outdoor observation deck/play area which he likes).

I'd like to get a gate pass to take him through security into the terminal and AC (they do have Krispy Kreme doughnuts after all).

No interest in buying a couple refundable tix... but now that you can't contact the clubs directly, any options? Can I get a gate pass just by showing up at the check-in desk? Also... I know a gate pass can be issued for an AC member with a meeting. Should I stretch the truth that we have an AC meeting, as telling the check-in agent "we just want to wander around the terminal" would likely not get me the pass.

Thanks in advance.
While I know this isn't the answer you quite wanted buying refundable tix works well. Unless you buy them in the last couple of days of your credit card cycle, you'll be refunded before the cycle closes out. Sure psychologically it feels weird to spend a thousand dollars to get to the AC but the refund procedure is very efficient.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
To this end, any experiences on getting a gate pass to the AC in order to shower and change after coming off an international red eye (JFK in my case)
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:32 am

I'd call AA and have them transfer you to the RDU AC. If you explain your situation, they might just issue a pass for you. They've issued me a pass before to purchase a membership, so it's not exclusively limited to meetings.

Also, IIRC, a few people have had gotten passes to attend their local clubs' 70th anniversary party, although that did take several attempts before they were successful.

In other words, it is possible to get to the AC without a meeting. I don't think there's any need to stretch the truth.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP
Smile

I have received a gate pass several times at DFW when sending off family. I call the AC 24 hrs ahead and ask to receive a pass, go to counter outside of security and they give me a pass. Never had any issues the few times I have done this here.

Best bet would likely be to ring up AC 800# and ask if you can have one. I was never able to convince myself it was worth buying a refundable tix when you are technically able to visit AC anytime you wish.

Good luck and enjoy the views.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:47 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
You don't need to actually contact the specific AC. Sure, it would be convenient if one could, but it can be done without that. Call the main AC number from the website at least 24 hours in advance, tell them you're meeting someone at the AC and they can arrange a BP to be available for you at the ticket counter.

Cheers.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by sts603
While I know this isn't the answer you quite wanted buying refundable tix works well.
Wasn't that a Seinfeld episode?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Wasn't that a Seinfeld episode?
The problem was that he got talked into non-refundable tickets.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Update from OP:

Turned out to be pretty easy. Called the AC service center.

Told them I needed to meet someone at the club tomorrow. They asked which club, and upon verifying my membership, said they would have a gate pass waiting for me (and kids) at the check-in desk tomorrow.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:14 am
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Does AA issue gate passes to visit AC & FL?

Hi guys,

If I have a F tkt on CX from JFK-YVR out of T7, would AA allow me to access the FL in T8? If not, I guess buying a fully refundable fare to go inside can do the trick.

Last edited by aw; Jul 3, 2011 at 8:35 am
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Yes, if you are a paid AC member but not traveling out of the same secured area as the club you wish to visit, you can call Admirals Club Customer Service at least 24 hours in advance to obtain security passes for you and up to 2 guests. But it must be for a "Business Meeting," per the TSA requirement that all persons accessing a secured area must have a declared "business" purpose for being there.

Full details here:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...saSecurity.jsp

Alternatively, you could buy a fully-refundable ticket, but you would need one for each person. For the FL, it would have to be an eligible international ticket if your only OW Emerald status comes from being AA EXP. (OR, you would have to buy an eligible F/Z ticket for each pax accompanying you.)

Also, it is important to note that flying JFK-YVR in First on CX is NOT sufficient for lounge access under OW rules, since it is entirely within "North America." (unless you have SPH or EMD status from a OW carrier other than AA)

Final thought: The FL at T8 is indeed FAR superior to the BA "First" lounge at T7. FL has a full hot and cold buffet throughout the day. BA "First" lounge has some fruit and junk food, and possibly some finger sandwiches...lousy! But I guess BA doesn't care because it offers the CCR to its own First Class pax. So the "First" lounge is really just for OW EMDs when not flying in First on BA. Pity for those CX First pax who are used to the Wing and the Pier! What a disappointment.

Last edited by magic111; Jul 3, 2011 at 10:08 am
Old Jul 3, 2011, 11:47 am
aw

Thanks for the thorough details ESpen36. Since I am PLAT the only option will be to use a full F or Z fare on a transcon or intl. flight.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Additional data point on this. I tried to do this at LAX to get into the FL (I am an AC member). I was told they would only get me through security and not my guest. Although I was just asking at the check in counter, I didn't call 24 hours prior.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 2:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You may or not be able to obtain a gate pass for the Admirals Club on a day not flying AA if you are a member; there is no guarantee, and some locations will deny it. The way to gain access for you and any guests you might require for business purposes (I've never had them ask what business purposes I had, and simply to meet and discuss a business matter should do nicely,) is to call Admirals Club 24 hours in advance, in which case AA will actually create an e-ticket for a nonexistent flight you can recover at a kiosk:

Later today (it is July 4 in Japan, and will be when I arrive at LAX, where I pass through formalities at TBIT and don't fly out of T4 until July 5,) I have

AMERICAN AIRLINES 9171 Lv LAX Los Angeles Jul 04, 2011 11:59 PM
Arv BTM Butte Jul 05, 2011 02:00 AM Economy Y Boeing 757 (Passenger 757)
Travel Time 1 Hour 1 Minute, Economy Class Meal: Beverage Service.

The TSA, in their infinite alertness and wisdom, has never inquired why I might be passing through security at 10:00 AM for a midnight flight...

Originally Posted by Azulcactus
Additional data point on this. I tried to do this at LAX to get into the FL (I am an AC member). I was told they would only get me through security and not my guest. Although I was just asking at the check in counter, I didn't call 24 hours prior.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 3:39 pm
aw

Thank you guys for all the info. I sometimes wonder why AA can make it so difficult to give people a gate pass, especially to loyal customers. In the past I had no trouble getting these from "dummie" PNR's every time I accompanied my elderly parents to the gates out of SFO. I guess we have a good staff working where I live.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.