Newbie question - is AA best for me?

Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

As I don't travel that much by air, i'd like to stick to one airline program if possible starting next year. I am based in LAX, and fly about 3-4 times a year to Asia(Shanghai, Tokyo, HK), and another 1-2 times to Europe. Probably 2-3 to east coast, and that's pretty much it. Would AA benefit me the most? I am really trying to choose between AA and UA.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
I think AA could be a good option give UA is going revenue based reward next year but AA is not
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

In what class of service would you be flying to Asia? Certain fare classes on AA partners CX and JL earn less than 100% of flown miles.

What type of redemptions would you be seeking from your accumulated miles?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

In what class of service would you be flying to Asia? Certain fare classes on AA partners CX and JL earn less than 100% of flown miles.

Most of the trips will be economy class as I have to pay all those travels myself as a small business owner.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by Letian Xie
Originally Posted by guv1976

Most of the trips will be economy class as I have to pay all those travels myself as a small business owner.
Google "AAdvantage Cathay" and "AAdvantage JAL" to get an idea of which Economy fare classes do and do not earn 100% flown mileage in AAdvantage.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is your defintion of best ?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyte...i-sign-up.html
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

I guess in my case it would be easier to get higher elite status.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold

wait ... you don't travel much by air ... only 5-6 trips to Europe or Asia plus some transcons? huh?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You might earn no to partial AA miles on JAL and Cathay, but full miles on AA codeshares.

AA flies to your Asia destinations (new DFW-HKG flight) as well as to PEK, PVG, NRT, HND. Doug Parker seems wuite bullish on China.

The AA -US merger means more European destination.

Flying a Platinum challenge (10,000 points, not miles,) earns you a shortcut to AAdvantage Platinum status - double redeemable miles, oneworld lounge access even if you're fling in coach, etc.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no1cub17
.... only 5-6 trips to Europe or Asia plus some transcons? huh?
That is a reasonable amount of air travel More than some/many others on FT do

Edit
Another post by Letian Xie here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23776864-post280.html
Stay with AA and OneWorld alliance . With AA executive card may already be an AAdvantage member, but not know it

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 1, 2014 at 10:53 pm
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

I forgot to add, I do have the citi AA executive card that gives priority check in and AA lounge access. So my "best" will be more towards upgrades and millage earning..
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I forgot to add, I do have the citi AA executive card that gives priority check in and AA lounge access. So my "best" will be more towards upgrades and millage earning..
That card actually gives you Admirals Club membership.

It won't get you lounge access at Beijing, Haneda, Hong Kong, Shanghai or other locations without lounge access, but it will give you two miles per dollar spent on aa.com if I recall.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I am based in LAX, and fly about 3-4 times a year to Asia(Shanghai, Tokyo, HK), and another 1-2 times to Europe. Probably 2-3 to east coast, and that's pretty much it. Would AA benefit me the most? I am really trying to choose between AA and UA.
Yes, AA will be a great choice for you. With that flying, you'll be EXP, OneWorld Emerald. Double BIS miles plus eight SWUs annually. IMO you'll do better on AA than on any competitor because AAdvantage is the only major carrier FFP which awards miles based on BIS miles flown with no factor for spend. (Note, you'll have to fly on AA codeshare flight numbers to get this on CX.) Earn/burn rations are great, too. Roundtrip in F to Asia on CX for 135K miles, far fewer than on Star Alliance. Also, you'll get unlimited space available grades on domestic flights and will be at or near the top of the upgrade wait list due to your EXP status.

And lots of options for the flights, themselves. PVG, NRT, HKG? You're covered.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yes, AA will be a great choice for you. With that flying, you'll be EXP, OneWorld Emerald.
By my reckoning, it's somewhat borderline depending on the cities and routings (and definitely won't happen at the lower end of the OP's range, 3 Asia + 1 Europe + 2 transcons). Even at the high end, OP might need to do a mileage run or two to make 100K.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:59 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yes, AA will be a great choice for you. With that flying, you'll be EXP, OneWorld Emerald. Double BIS miles plus eight SWUs annually. IMO you'll do better on AA than on any competitor because AAdvantage is the only major carrier FFP which awards miles based on BIS miles flown with no factor for spend.
Compare that to UA where the 100K/1K tier brings in 11 miles per dollar and requires you to buy-up to a higher fare to even get on the upgrade list to use systemwides. Very different program than AA. Crunch the numbers if you're a discount economy flyer and AA clearly comes out the winner---you'll likely get at least 2-3 times more miles flying AA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.