Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA meal order by flight direction & time zone change 09/2014 - no FEBO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Current meal order system based on flight cardinal direction & time zone change

New meal order / service order as of 1 Sep 2014; "FEBO" RIP

Effective 1 September 2014 a new system for taking meal preferences was put into place depending on flight cardinal direction combined with whether any time zones are crossed.

When an aircraft flight involves a change of time zones, take meal preferences:

. . . • Eastbound: from forward / front to aft /back
. . . • Westbound: from aft to forward

If the flight does not involve a change of any time zones, take meal preferences:

. . . • Southbound: from forward to aft
. . . • Northbound: from aft to forward

(c/o (sluggoaafa)
"FEBO" was discontinued 1 September 2014

FEBO ("Front Even Back Odd") is the acronym developed to explain the taking of meal preferences / orders (not serving meals) on AA flights. Orders for meals on even-numbered flights are taken from the front of the cabin, whilst on odd-numbered flights meal order taking began at the back of the cabin.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, however I haven't seen anything new posted about this, and the title seemed appropriate. However, just saw that golfingboy stated changes were being made Sep 1st in THIS thread.

FEBO will be ending at the end of the month.

FAs will be obtaining meal preferences by direction of travel.

I'm sure this will be just as confusing as the old movie/CBS days as movies were suppose to be shown based on the same criteria:

If there is a change in time zones, take meal preferences:
- Eastbound: FWD-AFT
- Westbound: AFT-FWD

If there is no change in time zones, take meal preferences:
- Southbound: FWD-AFT
- Northbound: Aft-FWD

Last edited by sluggoaafa; Aug 20, 2014 at 9:48 am Reason: spelling, added thread link
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa

That makes quite a bit of sense, because isn't that roughly how the flight numbers (even vs. odd) were assigned before they messed everything up and started using the same flight number for both directions on some flights. If so, it would return the ordering order to about what it was a year ago.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
That makes quite a bit of sense, because isn't that roughly how the flight numbers (even vs. odd) were assigned before they messed everything up and started using the same flight number for both directions on some flights. If so, it would return the ordering order to about what it was a year ago.
I agree completely. In the old days, odd flights were almost certainly westbound and even flights were almost always eastbound. And today, there are lots of flights using the same number for both directions.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
agree, it makes sense. Although since you can pre-order meals it doesn't really even seem relevant anymore.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer
agree, it makes sense. Although since you can pre-order meals it doesn't really even seem relevant anymore.
What? What if my upgrade clears at the gate? Mine and yours, and we're sitting at opposite ends of the premium cabin? And we both want the one remaining steak or chicken or omelette or cold cereal?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FEBO will be ending at the end of the month.

FAs will be obtaining meal preferences by direction of travel.

I'm sure this will be just as confusing as the old movie/CBS days as movies were suppose to be shown based on the same criteria:

So now we need a new acronym. FES? (Front Eastbound Southbound, with Back of course being in the leftover directions.)

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
That makes quite a bit of sense, because isn't that roughly how the flight numbers (even vs. odd) were assigned before they messed everything up and started using the same flight number for both directions on some flights.
And that's exactly where I've seen increased FEBO-not-followed issues lately, when the same flight number was being used in both directions.

At first glance, it seems a bit confusing, what if a flight is basically "horizontal" (close to due east or close to due west) while staying within a time zone? But then I realized, those flights are probably all too short to have meal service anyway.

Of coruse, there are alternate ways they could have done it, but no one way would be simple (without permanently biasing against one end of the cabin or the other). For example, they could have said that if the airport code for the departure airport is alphabetically higher than the airport code for the arrival airport, it's forward to aft, and vice versa. (For example, LAX-DFW would be forward to aft, while LAX-ORD would be aft to forward.) That wouldn't require looking at a map, it would only require knowing where you're flying from and where you're flying to (plus how to alphabetize!). And it would also (like the method they chose) automatically mean cabin direction reversal when a flight flew the same route in the opposite direction.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 20, 2014 at 1:58 pm
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I wonder if one decision point going in was the change of flight numbers occurring, some of which included using the same flight numbers on both outbound and inbound sectors?

In any case, it's good to be informed of these changes. Thank you, sluggoaafa!

It's easier to pre-order than change seats sometimes.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:37 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sdsearch
And that's exactly where I've seen increased FEBO-not-followed issues lately, when the same flight number was being used in both directions.
I was on the second part of 1633 yesterday (DFW-MSP-DFW) and FEBO was used in the correct manner. But, for some reason, the FA had either the wrong manifest or it printed incorrect. It seemed she was addressing every second person by the wrong name. I was in 6E, so choice was not a problem (I pre-ordered, too).
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle

Is this a joke? FAs will never remember this. It will be worse than DL, where for at least a while the official policy was FEBO but many FAs ignored it. But not enough ignored it that you could be sure.

What problem is AA trying to solve with a change like this? Don't they have better things to worry about?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
What's my US FA going to do now? Rather than serve row 1 first then row 2 she decided (after no PDB) to do the entire Port side first then the Starboard side like a U. Never seen this before and adds to the weirdness of US travels I have encountered.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:07 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Here is a better scheme: toss a coin, heads they start in front, tails they start at the back...so its 50-50 that you may get your preferred selection. At least it is an easier scheme to remember, vs. what is being proposed.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
That is a recipe for unpredictable quilombo on certain N/S routes, which are in the same time zone for certain times of the year, and not, for other times.

MIA/SCL? Sometimes the time is the same, sometimes SCL is +1, sometimes SCL is +2.

SCL is on the Pacific and is east of MIA, on the Atlantic.

The flights are mostly N/S.

The customer would not ever quite know what to expect with this policy if one flew the route during various seasons.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:45 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Isn't PHX one of those cities that doesn't do daylight saving time? So does that mean the order-taking policy on all those PHX hub flights will be different depending on whether it's DST season or not?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Isn't PHX one of those cities that doesn't do daylight saving time? So does that mean the order-taking policy on all those PHX hub flights will be different depending on whether it's DST season or not?
The rules state "time zones". A time zone is Eastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific (not Eastern Standard, Eastern Daylight, etc). Whether a city or state observes daylight savings time or not does not change the fact that one may fly from one time zone to another.

For example, flying from the Pacific time zone to Phoenix (Mountain time zone) is a change in time zones even though one may not have to change their watches during the normally observed period of daylight savings time.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right now California and Arizona are both 10:02 pm. But California is on PDT and Arizona is on MST.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.