Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Devaluation, new award tiers, oneworld Explorer award gone, etc. 8 April 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Devaluation and revocation without prior announcement April 8, 2014

Without any prior notification, American Airlines announced on 8 April 2014 some significant AAdvantage program rescissions and devaluations, effective immediately:

• oneworld Explorer awards can no longer be claimed; (pre-existing awards will be honored)

• Stopovers at North American gateways for international partner award tickets were eliminated

• AAnytime awards now reflect variable, demand-based pricing

• US Dividend Miles North Asia premium awards have repriced

Important Information

AAnytime Awards: Effective April 8, 2014, for tickets issued for travel starting June 1, 2014, we have updated award levels. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014. For award bookings after April 8 for travel between April 8 and June 1, 2014, these award mileage levels will apply.

oneworld Explorer Awards are no longer available for award booking. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014.

What are oneworld Explorer awards? Visit this link for full details. Also, here is an explanation courtesy of guv1976:

Originally Posted by guv1976
The oneworld Explorer is a paid ticket. AA's Explorer award permitted one to redeem miles for distance-based, multi-partner travel. It provided exceptional value, especially in Business Class. For example, for 150,000 AA miles, one could redeem for an Explorer award that allowed between 20,001 and 25,000 flown miles in Business.
Moderator Note:

We would invite members who are frustrated at this change and interested in venting, or who would like to discuss ways to communicate displeasure to the powers that be, to head to this thread:

Angry about AAdvantage devaluation / vent / what can I do? (April 2014, consolidated)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM

Oneworld explorer awards are no longer offered by AA. Existing tickets will be honoured. What a shame. And what a disgrace that there was no notice of this change.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 2:59 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by jlsw7
Oneworld explorer awards are no longer offered by AA. Existing tickets will be honoured. What a shame. And what a disgrace that there was no notice of this change.
For me this is very serious devaluation of AAdvantage

Confirmation is on aa.com - here
It's a disgrace that there was no warning of this
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premiere, IHG Ambas
This is the price I pay for delaying my ticketing until I had set plans. Oh Doug Parker you beaut! Fewer and fewer places to invest in the mileage game. I cannot believe that M&M is actually becoming interesting!!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

Oneworld explorer awards have been eliminated as a redemption choice. Effective today.

No advance notice given but it's now on AA.com that these are gone and only those issued on or before April 7th will be honored.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 28, 2014 at 3:31 am
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premiere, IHG Ambas
Thank You

We are getting Parkered.

Delta is 'avin a laugh, they are not so lonely in the no-notice changes game. Together with the elimination of int'l gateway stopovers this is a bad day for AAdvantage. What is worse is the stealth devaluation at Dividend miles.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TopGunner
We are getting Parkered.

Delta is 'avin a laugh, they are not so lonely in the no-notice changes game. Together with the elimination of int'l gateway stopovers this is a bad day for AAdvantage. What is worse is the stealth devaluation at Dividend miles.
Four (or more.) no-advance-notice changes hitting AA/US mile holders that effect the prices of award travel: elimination of Oneworld explorer awards; elimination of free USinternational gateway stopovers on All AA partner awards; change to AAnytime Award pricing; change to North Asia premium cabin travel pricing on USDM.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by TopGunner
This is the price I pay for delaying my ticketing until I had set plans. Oh Doug Parker you beaut! Fewer and fewer places to invest in the mileage game. I cannot believe that M&M is actually becoming interesting!!
this coupled with other announcements mean disturbing changes are afoot at AA.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:02 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold
thought there would be a warning
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:02 am
Suspended

No advance notice public warning is the more frequent USdbaAA way in the reduced competition environment.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...servations.jsp

Important Information
AAnytime Awards: Effective April 8, 2014, for tickets issued for travel starting June 1, 2014, we have updated award levels. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014. For award bookings after April 8 for travel between April 8 and June 1, 2014, these award mileage levels will apply.

oneworld Explorer Awards are no longer available for award booking. We will continue to honor any award tickets issued on / before April 7, 2014.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jeautk01
this coupled with other announcements mean disturbing changes are afoot at AA.
Once comfortably on the no-advance notice path to devalue miles in customer accounts, the inertia is there to continue doing things this customer-unfriendly way.

Welcome to the "benefits" of the reduced competition environment we now have in the US.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Sad news, but can't say I'm too surprised.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:35 am

Elimination of int'l gateway stopovers hurts the most. I was planning to book 3 trips this week with stopovers... Ugh!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by tsmith12
Elimination of int'l gateway stopovers hurts the most. I was planning to book 3 trips this week with stopovers... Ugh!
i had that and then a massive explorer award already all planned out but not booked.

changes are 1 thing. ZERO notice is reprehensible arrogant behaviour.

guess this explains the 100,000 mile AA card. and nice timing on the 100% miles buy- there should be some bait and switch law that they violated. if someone who bought a bunch of miles yesterday fire bombed their HQ, they'd deserve acquittal in my eyes!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
i had that and then a massive explorer award already all planned out but not booked.

changes are 1 thing. ZERO notice is reprehensible arrogant behaviour.

guess this explains the 100,000 mile AA card. and nice timing on the 100% miles buy- there should be some bait and switch law that they violated. if someone who bought a bunch of miles yesterday fire bombed their HQ, they'd deserve acquittal in my eyes!
US state bait and switch laws don't apply. Foreign bait-and-switch laws may apply. But seriously, this is business being business in a reduced competition environment and isn't deserving of any kind of criminal violence or of any license/acquittal for criminal violence.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
US state bait and switch laws don't apply. Foreign bait-and-switch laws may apply. But seriously, this is business being business in a reduced competition environment and isn't deserving of any kind of criminal violence or of any license/acquittal for criminal violence.
purposely putting out an enticing offer to buy miles right before dramatically reducing the value of the item being sold goes beyond 'business being business' is really deplorable conduct that you would never see in almost any other business segment in America- reduced competition or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.