Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) Issues (consolida

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2014, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC)
Getting AA miles, points credit for involuntary rerouting

Please see the current thread here.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) Issues (consolida

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2012, 4:24 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium

Welcome to the "2014 Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) Issues" thread!

(The other ORC thread is archived and closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) - 2013 (archived)

Some notes in an attempt to distill some of the collective wisdom from this forum:

1) Original Routing Credit consists of EQM and Bonus Miles; Segment credit was not so easy to get, but several members have reported receiving segment credit (has to be done manually).

2) The best terminology to use is something like "I am requesting original routing credit because I was involuntarily rerouted..."

3) ORC is unlikely to be granted in cases where one has used Standby, has taken a voluntary "bump" or has been granted flight changes for any voluntary or passenger-requested reason.

4) Many report having the PNR amended with a note indicating changes made are involuntary for later claim of ORC; one reports an agent contacting a supervisor for guidance and then denying ORC - though it was later granted by writing AA.

5) Agents are often, not always, heard to say ORC has been granted as a "one time exception", though this seems not to be the case.

6) ORC has been granted to many when they have been switched to other (even non-oneworld) airlines due to weather, mechanical delays or other reasons that reflect the convenience of the airline.
[/B]

Other threads of interest:

Original Routing Credit on Voluntary changes (bump/standby etc.)? (consolidated)

Original Routing Credit on Business ExtrAA?

AA Forum Moderator Team[/COLOR][/FONT]

Last edited by Microwave; Dec 5, 2014 at 7:59 am Reason: update for thread maintenance
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat
Original Routing Credit on Cancelled Flight without Rebooking

I've had multiple cancelled flights for today/tomorrow. I just received my latests cancellation notice. I may just decide to abandon my travel plans for this week but I would hate to lose out on the segments that I will need to make EXP again this year. Does anyone know if it is possible to get ORC for cancelled flights in instances where I am not rebooked on a different airline or on a different route? i.e., where my flight is cancelled and I decide to simply not fly?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
If it's weather, no.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by rikramer
I've had multiple cancelled flights for today/tomorrow. I just received my latests cancellation notice. I may just decide to abandon my travel plans for this week but I would hate to lose out on the segments that I will need to make EXP again this year. Does anyone know if it is possible to get ORC for cancelled flights in instances where I am not rebooked on a different airline or on a different route? i.e., where my flight is cancelled and I decide to simply not fly?
Last week of December? Quite possibly. First week of January? Unlikely.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
ORC Where Connection Missed, More Direct AA Routing Substituted?

So let's say that due to a late arriving flight in BOS, I miss a tight connection to DFW, but my ultimate destination is SFO. To get back to SFO at the time I have to be there, I need to fly via ORD instead. Can I get the miles for BOS-DFW-SFO as booked?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
Mileage credit for flight on different airline?

I've posted my question on the United forum and haven't received any useful response -- I've also searched all the forums and called the airlines and still haven't received any information. My AA flight from Seattle to ORD was canceled and the very helpful AA gate agent switched me to a United flight. No one from American or United seems to know how I get credited for the miles, or which airline they will be credited to. I've submitted forms online and they've been rejected as "invalid" and called customer service, all to no avail. Does anyone have any wisdom or experience to offer? It seems like this must happen fairly often. Thank you very much!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Call AAdvantage Customer service and request "original routing credit" (those are the magic words) for your canceled AA flight.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:40 pm

I had a US Airways flight from SEA to TPA and it was cancelled and rebooked on Delta Airlines. I received the mileage credit for Delta....and then I called US Air to request my original miles and they credited them to me (including the Gold 50% bonus)
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this pertains to the pre-merger American Airlines, it is being moved to that forum.

As noted in the Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, questions and information pertaining to the existing AA or US operations should go in those forums as it will be quite some time before the two entities operate as a single airline.

Your understanding is appreciated.

/Moderator
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:17 am

Question on ORC. Flying 2 separate reservations. The last segment of PNR1 is dfw-phx. Flight canceled due to weather, as well as 2 subsequent flights I was rebooked on later in the day.

No way to get to Phx to begin PNR2 the next day, whose first segment is phx-dfw.

I ended up overnighting in DFW, and aagents needed to cancel first segment of PNR2 so that I can start it in Dallas.

Any way to get ORC for the dropped dfw-phx flt on PNR1 and the dropped phx-dfw flt on PNR2?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, FB Gold
Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC)

Tried to find an existing thread for this, but the links in the FAQ only lead to the archived/closed 2013 thread.

Recently ticketed SEA-DFW-BOS on a Choice Plus fare (3221 mi).

Before departure, was SDCed onto SEA-MIA-DFW-BOS and have boarding passes for these flights (5407 mi).

While flying SEA-MIA, WX cancelled the DFW-BOS flight, and the system had already rebooked me onto a MIA-BOS non-stop before we landed in MIA.

I did call and was rebooked onto MIA-DCA (AA metal) and DCA-BOS (US metal) -- which I did fly, for an earlier arrival in BOS. I asked the agent to notate my record that I wanted ORC for my full SEA-MIA-DFW-BOS routing. He took a few minutes (to do this, I presume?), then told me that he had.

I now have a total of 4144 EQMs posted to my account for the actual flown segments -- 1263 short of my SDCed itin.

Here's the rub. When I called AAdvantage today for ORC, the agent I reached now tells me that: 1) there's no record in my PNR of my ever having been ticketed on SEA-MIA-DFW-BOS, then 2) that they don't give ORC for WX reroutes anyway.

I imagine that I could eventually handle 2) above by HUCA.

But what's the deal with 1) -- the absence of any record, in my "record," of my ever having been SDC-ticketed onto the longer itin? Should I just HUCA that, as well -- perhaps after first mailing them copies of my boarding passes? At least I saved them!

Quite the ... stand-off, so far... No sympathy at all from the AAdvantage agent.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 7, 2014 at 3:15 pm Reason: offensive term redacted
Old Feb 7, 2014, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
You'll be calling again quite a bit. If it was MX you would have more room for a request, WX is out of AA's control, as much as others would like to think otherwise.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, FB Gold
Understood.

But will "no" be the automatic answer, always, for ORC after WX reroutes?

Or might I get a sympathetic agent who can make it happen (once they concede that I was ticketed on the longer itin, that is)?

I'm not gonna go crazy over 1200 miles, but I'd like some idea how far I might be able to push this -- and how best to do so.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:06 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rdrnnr
Tried to find an existing thread for this, but the links in the FAQ only lead to the archived/closed 2013 thread.
Thread merged with the 2014 ORC thread.

Tip: To search for short terms, use quotation marks within the search field ["ORC"]. /Moderator
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yes, HUAC. Your PNR is transitory at best, and rushed agents may not have done everything they should to document your journey - but you have your ticket number and boarding passes, and you can offer to provide even copies of the latter.

Searching: advanced search, thread titles only, results as threads, keyword "orc". In the correct forum, or searching within child for a as well. (Use quotation marks for terms of three or fewer characters, or very common terms. Letter case doesn't matter, it's all reduced to lower case anyway.)

You may want to call when operations are relatively smooth and not jammed with weather, etc. Good luck.

Originally Posted by rdrnnr
Understood.

But will "no" be the automatic answer, always, for ORC after WX reroutes?

Or might I get a sympathetic agent who can make it happen (once they concede that I was ticketed on the longer itin, that is)?

I'm not gonna go crazy over 1200 miles, but I'd like some idea how far I might be able to push this -- and how best to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.