Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE] How to Upgrade Award / AAward Tickets? (consolidated 2009-2013)

Old Sep 16, 2009, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

I booked 4 tickets ( 2 tickets award tickets + 2 tickets purchased ). Purchased tickets were upgraded using my evip stickers ( SWUs ). How should I upgrade my award tickets to Business class as this is an International travel. I have 500 miles upgrades as well. What are my options. Any expert advice appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

Award tickets can not be upgraded with the usual upgrade instruments (nor do award trips earn miles). An award may be able to be "upgraded" by securing an award for a higher class of service, in which case AA will often allow the change at no additional cost. Be sure to read the FAQ and threads on MileSAAver and AAnytime wards - one can sometimes reasonably "upgrade" an Economy AAnytime award to a MileSAAver to Business or First if a seat is available.

For an older thread on this topic, see also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

For information on kiosk / LFBU (load-factor based) upgrades, see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 13, 2012 at 2:31 pm Reason: add
Old Sep 16, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
You can only upgrade them by redepositing the awards and reticketing them using a Business class award (assuming it is available). There is no way to upgrade an international award directly with miles or VIPs.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA lt gold, HH Diamond, marriott pl
The award tickets have to be "purchased" using the higher level of miles needed for the higher class of travel. Sometimes they charge to refund your miles and issue a higher award, sometimes they don't. I do not believe there is an other way to upg award tickets
Old Sep 16, 2009, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Krysia
The award tickets have to be "purchased" using the higher level of miles needed for the higher class of travel. Sometimes they charge to refund your miles and issue a higher award, sometimes they don't. I do not believe there is an other way to upg award tickets
fee depends on who you talk to.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 2:44 pm

I think that I know the answer but please confirm.

I am currently a non-elite member traveling coach with my wife from TPA-MIA-SXM on 3/30 and returning on 4/5. I booked my trip using aa points (52k per person) and would like to know if there is anything that I can do to upgrade our coach seats to first/business class?

Since I have access to coupon connection, there is a possibility that I can acquire whatever is needed. Unfortunately, I don't know what to ask/trade for .... I have heard of eVIP, stickers, etc... but don't know if any will apply or simply what I need.

Suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks in advance...
Old Mar 1, 2010, 2:50 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by atwnsw2
I booked my trip using aa points (52k per person) and would like to know if there is anything that I can do to upgrade our coach seats to first/business class?
Award tickets cannot be upgraded using any of the instruments you've heard about.

FYI, you can get answers to a lot of basic questions like this by starting with the "Read Me First" and FAQ threads at the top of the forum. Lotsa good stuff there.

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by atwnsw2
I have heard of eVIP, stickers, etc... but don't know if any will apply or simply what I need.
Neither eVIPs or stickers will help on an award ticket.

There's a slim chance that you might be offered a paid upgrade when checking in at the kiosk, if loads are light up front. There's an even slimmer chance you could receive an "op up"--an upgrade for operational reasons. I wouldn't count on either.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, DL Gold, Avis PC
EXP - how upgrade award international and domestic flights?

Anyone know if you can upgrade to first class using an award ticket if you're EXP? If yes, can this occur both on domestic and international flights?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 9:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You can call AA, and use the requisite number of miles to upgrade your award at no cost as long as the details are the same.

Otherwise, if you are a very fortunate EXP, they might roll you to the next cabin if they have oversold "Main Cabin" - Economy.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:02 pm

Add miles to award ticket to upgrade

I have an economy award ticket. Can I add miles to this ticket in order to upgrade from economy to business? (California to Paris)
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by powlan
I have an economy award ticket. Can I add miles to this ticket in order to upgrade from economy to business? (California to Paris)
Yes, you can, provided there is business award inventory. The amount of miles required is the difference between the coach and business awards.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
Yes, you can, provided there is business award inventory. The amount of miles required is the difference between the coach and business awards.
Should I first check for business award inventory and then try to make the transaction all in one call? I'd hate to give up my (now secured) economy ticket for the chance of the upgrade. I also have no status.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by powlan
Originally Posted by gemac
Should I first check for business award inventory and then try to make the transaction all in one call? I'd hate to give up my (now secured) economy ticket for the chance of the upgrade. I also have no status.
The "transaction" can only be done in one call. Effectively, you are canceling your coach award ticket, redepositing the mileage, and then redeeming for a business class award ticket at the higher mileage redemption rate. When you do this, AA waives the mileage redeposit fee.

Last edited by guv1976; Apr 24, 2010 at 2:02 pm
Old Apr 24, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG, FFFWP
So is this a good strategy if you want to make sure you get a ticket somewhere when you are waiting to get more miles to upgrade a class? I am expecting 25000 miles to my account, but not for another month or so. Should I go ahead and get a business ticket and then upgrade?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by ktravelbear
I am expecting 25000 miles to my account, but not for another month or so. Should I go ahead and get a business ticket and then upgrade?
What? You have to wait until you have enough miles in your account for a business class ticket before you can complete the transaction, so you can't just "go ahead and get a business ticket and then upgrade." By the way, what you are doing is not considered "upgrading.' You can not upgrade an award ticket, you are redepositing the miles from your coach award and redeeming them for a business class award instead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.