Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:51 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rumor: AA Considering LAX-AKL

http://www.ausbt.com.au/united-ameri...ts-to-auckland

Originally Posted by ABT
American Airlines and United Airlines are considering launching direct flights between the USA and New Zealand, potentially busting the Air New Zealand monopoly and giving Qantas travellers a US-via-Auckland option for stateside flights........

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 1, 2015 at 6:42 pm Reason: Close quote
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cool. Hope it happens.

At just 6,500 miles, within range of a 772, of which AA has a bunch.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Potential good use of a 787?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Potential good use of a 787?
I'd sure think so. Sounds like a good rumor to me!

Now THAT would be a SAAver award that NEVER shows up!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:44 pm
Suspended

I'll "out myself" as having been very, very skeptical of this rumor which has been coming up in many threads here lately. The article certainly makes me second-guess the info I'd been given on this rumor (that it's unfounded) -- but it still would strike me as very, very surprising. I guess we'll see.

As far as:
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Now THAT would be a SAAver award that NEVER shows up!
Yeah-- you might say that!

I wouldn't be surprised-- if they offered this route-- if they didn't even go through the charade of offering milesAAvers and just made it their first route that was "AAnytime-level only"
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The article states UA is considering SFO-AKL, but alliance partner NZ already flies that. Would they actually compete head to head? (Even less reason to do so with a JBA, I suspect.)

AA could theoretically make out with a 787-823 because QF no longer has an AKL service from the USA since LAX-AKL-BNE was discontinued. But I also guess the load factors - passengers or cargo - are not there.

NZ is making out like pirates: http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...ic-competition

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 1, 2015 at 7:46 pm
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both UA & QF used to fly LAX-AKL. If they had made good money they would still be flying that route.
AA would have a very limited NZ domestic partner (Qantas lcc subsidiary Jetstar).
UA would be head to head with Air NZ, and then reply on Air NZ for domestic flight connection.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
another way to get to get to PPT is always nice!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by JDiver
The article states UA is considering SFO-AKL, but alliance partner NZ already flies that. Would they actually compete head to head? (Even less reason to do so with a JBA, I suspect.)
]
They just have an ATI with NZ. They don't share revenues other than via codeshare. But I'll believe it when i see it too. If it were to happen there would have to be a lot of unserved traffic on the route that is going another route.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
What isn't AA considering these days out of LAX? Not likely to see much until they have quite a few 787's in the system. A daily route like this would take 2.5 planes to serve daily ( if they go daily).
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
UA would be head to head with Air NZ, and then reply on Air NZ for domestic flight connection.
I would say UA has to be very careful on the moves they make against NZ, gut feeling is that if UA touch AKL-SFO/LAX NZ will fight back.

If anything maybe we could see NZ on SYD-SFO
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grahampros
What isn't AA considering these days out of LAX? Not likely to see much until they have quite a few 787's in the system. A daily route like this would take 2.5 planes to serve daily ( if they go daily).
It's a 13 hour flight from LAX to AKL and 12 hours back to LAX. Two hours on the ground at AKL and two hours on the ground at LAX and it looks to me like a round trip takes a little less than 30 hours, so I'd say that it would require more like 1.25 airframes, not 2.5.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:54 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Whether LAX-AKL will work for AA is tbd. But that is what the 787 is supposed to do - allow routes that aren't feasible with a larger jet.

First flew LAX-AKL in '87 on NZ 742 but had to stop in Tahiti. Then the 744 came along and make it nonstop. I haven't been to AKL since QF stopped flying LAX-AKL nonstop.

Now an AA flight from LAX-AKL will initially be full of mileage runners, eVIP'ers, etc. But this is a route that used to work for QF - but not with 744. 787 need new routes and new destinations. Not sure if flying 787 to NRT and ICN where AA currently flies with 77W makes sense.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:02 am

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by cova
Whether LAX-AKL will work for AA is tbd. But that is what the 787 is supposed to do - allow routes that aren't feasible with a larger jet.

First flew LAX-AKL in '87 on NZ 742 but had to stop in Tahiti. Then the 744 came along and make it nonstop. I haven't been to AKL since QF stopped flying LAX-AKL nonstop.

Now an AA flight from LAX-AKL will initially be full of mileage runners, eVIP'ers, etc. But this is a route that used to work for QF - but not with 744. 787 need new routes and new destinations. Not sure if flying 787 to NRT and ICN where AA currently flies with 77W makes sense.
NRT and ICN don't have 77w on the route. They have the 777-200 that is going through a retrofit and is changing to a two cabin plane.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Considering Air New Zealand has a monopoly on North America-New Zealand flying, someone will considering starting LAX-AKL. Interesting United is looking at SFO-AKL rather than LAX-AKL as LAX-AKL is a much larger local market than SFO-AKL and they started nonstop MEL flying from LAX. With United and American receiving the 787 over the next few years, AKL would be a market to consider. American's Dreamliner would better serve the route as the premium seating ratio is lower than United's as AKL is a low yielding market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.