Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) Issues
Getting AA EQ and Award Miles credit for involuntary rerouting - on AA or other airlines)

Previous posts on this subject are archived here.

Q. Can I earn the originally scheduled Elite Qualifying Dollars, Miles and Segments and Award Miles when I'm involuntarily rerouted to shorter flights, or to another airline?
A. You may be able to. Whether you can will depend on several conditions.

Situation 1: YES: You are flying and crediting to AA and miss your connection and are rerouted to other AA flights; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights (if you'd rather earn according to the new routing and it's eligible for miles accrual, you need do nothing - as always, keep boarding passes in case there are questions later).

● The preferred solution is to ask the AA agent to add a note to the PNR stating you were involuntarily rerouted and should get original routing credit while you are being rerouted; this often makes things easier later.

● If this did not happen, you will have to contact AAdvantage Customer Service, preferably to your Elite line to the reservations desk; the recommended wording is to state, more or less, "I was given an involuntary reroute and request original routing credit".

● EQ Segment credit may be more difficult to secure; nonetheless, members have reported having it granted.

● Agents seem to be fond of telling requesters they will grant ORC "this time on a one time basis, as an exception"; however, ORC seems to be pretty standard.

Situation 2: YES: You are flying and crediting to AA and are rerouted to flights operated by another airline; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

● The preferred solution is to ask the AA agent to add a note to the PNR stating you were involuntarily rerouted and should get original routing credit while you are being rerouted; this often makes things easier later.

Example: You are flying AA SMF-DFW-MSP (2,283 miles), but OSO causes AA to endorse your ticket to, and has you flying Alaska Airlines SMF-SEA-MSP (2,040 miles). ORC will grant you 2,283 base miles as if you had flown AA and calculate your EQ and Award miles accordingly.

● If you'd rather earn in the operating airline's FFP according to the new routing and it's eligible for miles accrual, you need do nothing; your original ticket was endorsed over to the operating airline - as always, keep boarding passes in case there are questions later)

Situation 3: NOT EXACTLY: You are flying on an "instant upgrade" fare and crediting to AA, and are rerouted to flights operated by another airline. You would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

Example: You are flying AA SMF-DFW-MSP (2,283 miles) in "instant upgrade" First, but OSO causes AA to endorse your ticket to, and has you flying Alaska Airlines in Coach SMF-SEA-MSP (2,040 miles). (AA will generally allow you to cancel your flights for full refundability, fly the next available AA flight in Main Cabin if there's no same fare availability (that can be a day or two later) or fly in the next available Main Cabin seat.

● ORC in this instance will grant you 2,283 base miles as if you had flown AA and may calculate your EQ and Award miles in accordance with your originally, pre-upgrade K fare (you will normally be flying AS coach in this situation).

● If you'd rather earn in the operating airline's FFP according to the new routing and it's eligible for miles accrual, you need do nothing; your original ticket was endorsed over to the operating airline - as always, keep boarding passes in case there are questions later)

Situation 4: NO: You are flying an AA partner airline, but crediting your flight activity to AA; you miss your connection and are rerouted to flights operated by another airline; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

Example: you are flying BA to LHR and onward to VCE, but due to operational problems BA are routes you via FRA on LH.

● AA has no obligation to you, and Original Routing Credit is not likely to be granted. You will have the opportunity to earn in Lufthansa etc. Miles and More.

Situation 5: NO: You are flying AA and stand by or Same Day Flight Change or are otherwise granted rerouting for your personal convenience; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

● Generally, AA has no obligation to you because your rerouting is voluntary and not due to any act by or to AA.

Link to AAdvantage Customer Service e-form and telephone numbers.

Situation 6: NO: You were scheduled to fly AA, but AA cancelled the flight and offered a seat the next day. You cancelled the ticket, AA refunded your ticket and you purchased a ticket on another airline; you want Original Routing Credit.

● AA has no obligation to you, and Original Routing Credit is not likely to be granted. You cancelled your AA ticket voluntarily, accepted a refund and flew on another airline.[/b]

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:17 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Post FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (master thd)

Welcome to the "Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) Issues" thread!

Archived ORC threads are closed, but can easily be accessed for reading here:

ARCHIVE: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) Issues

Some notes in an attempt to distill some of the collective wisdom from this forum:

1) Original Routing Credit consists of EQM and Bonus Miles; Segment credit was not so easy to get, but several members have reported receiving segment credit (has to be done manually).

2) The best terminology to use is something like "I am requesting original routing credit because I was involuntarily rerouted..."

3) ORC is unlikely to be granted in cases where one has used Standby, has taken a voluntary "bump" or has been granted flight changes for any voluntary or passenger-requested reason.

4) Many report having the PNR amended with a note indicating changes made are involuntary for later claim of ORC; one reports an agent contacting a supervisor for guidance and then denying ORC - though it was later granted by writing AA.

5) Agents are often, not always, heard to say ORC has been granted as a "one time exception", though this seems not to be the case.

6) ORC has been granted to many when they have been switched to other (even non-oneworld) airlines due to weather, mechanical delays or other reasons that reflect the convenience of the airline.[/B]

Other threads of interest:

Original Routing Credit on Voluntary changes (bump/standby etc.)? (consolidated)

Original Routing Credit on Business ExtrAA?

AA Forum Moderator Team

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 4, 2016 at 3:45 pm Reason: Update
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:45 am
Suspended

any specific invol requests to get original routing credit

New here. Aa. On challenge. Irrops. Oal. How do I make sure I can get original routing credit?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
New here. Aa. On challenge. Irrops. Oal. How do I make sure I can get original routing credit?
Read the wiki here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jan 10, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
First flight cancelled in a series of three. Had to cancel the rest of the itinerary. Could I request ORC/
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by brewdog11
First flight cancelled in a series of three. Had to cancel the rest of the itinerary. Could I request ORC/
You have to request ORC based on the "trip in vain" policy -and you may, or may not, get it.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
Call in, ask to be transferred specifically to AAdvantage customer service and request it
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by bdemaria
You have to request ORC based on the "trip in vain" policy -and you may, or may not, get it.
Called AAdvantage CS and was told by the CSR: "You can't get original routing credit because you did not take the flights." She did, however, say that I could write into AA Customer Relations and possibly get it that way. I'm a bit put off because they told me over the phone that I would receive ORC for trip-in-vain (not a selective hearing issue--the language was quite precise and I did mention it in my email to AA CS), and I know that it will take at least a few days to hear anything. Anyone have any experience with this? If AA CS says "no," could I maybe write the executive offices and ask (nicely) for it?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:41 pm

Never been an issue before, but I was re-routed due to delays on US Air through CLT. Wrote the usual 2 liner email to AAdvantage CS, and was rejected. Surprised as it has never been declined before.

We are sorry to inform you that it is not our policy to credit
AAdvantage mileage for segments that are not flown due to operational
problems beyond our control. While we understand that AAdvantage mileage
is one reason customers specifically book trips on American Airlines and
other program participants, we cannot credit miles for travel that did
not occur or that was conducted on a nonparticipating carrier. We are
sorry for your inconvenience and wish you had been able to travel as
planned.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
I was traveling on a BUR-US-PHX-AA-DFW-AA-TUL itinerary and the US flight took a MX delay. Options were not looking good at all to get home same-day, so I asked if the LAX-XNA flight was an option and they agreed. I wrote in to CS and was told they had requested the documentation from US for ORC and to wait 30 days. I have not seen anything post yet after several weeks (even the flight I took), but I will update with the final outcome.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:09 pm

Trip in Vain ORC

For purposes of ORC, does it matter after severe weather flight cancellations (such as this week) whether one invokes "trip in vain" to cancel a trip entirely vs. requesting and flying a shorter routing?

I.e., if I were flying LGA-DFW-SEA and LGA-DFW flight is cancelled will it much improve my chances of ORC if I get rebooked on JFK-SEA vs. canceling and asking for ORC?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
Original routing credit question

I had a two-segment itinerary cancelled because of weather, and was rebooked on a direct flight. I called AAdvantage Customer Service to request original routing credit, and was told that they don't provide such credit for IRROPS caused by weather. That can't be true, right? I've requested and received credit for the itinerary I originally booked countless times when there's been a disruption, some of them weather-related...
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
HUCA?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:18 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by akcae
HUCA?
To those unfamiliar with FT jargon: Hang Up Call Again
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by cooberp
I had a two-segment itinerary cancelled because of weather, and was rebooked on a direct flight. I called AAdvantage Customer Service to request original routing credit, and was told that they don't provide such credit for IRROPS caused by weather. That can't be true, right? I've requested and received credit for the itinerary I originally booked countless times when there's been a disruption, some of them weather-related...
Let's see, AAgent choices are:

1. Convince you you are not entitled to ORC and end the call, or

2. Do all the work needed to post ORC as requested.

Hmmm, I wonder which one takes less work. IME the AAgent is being lazy. You can either ask for a supervisor or say thank you and call in again.

Unfortunately it is a sad state, but the one I see many times. If you escalate the AAgent might get educated (or reassigned/terminated). If HUCA it may be easier on you.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Let's see, AAgent choices are:

1. Convince you you are not entitled to ORC and end the call, or

2. Do all the work needed to post ORC as requested.

Hmmm, I wonder which one takes less work. IME the AAgent is being lazy. You can either ask for a supervisor or say thank you and call in again.

Unfortunately it is a sad state, but the one I see many times. If you escalate the AAgent might get educated (or reassigned/terminated). If HUCA it may be easier on you.
I would, however, give it a few days. With the crazy weather, and all airlines' systems seemingly falling apart under the added strain of having to cancel/re-accommodate most of the people coming in and out of the NE U.S., ORC request from someone not currently stranded somewhere may not be at the top of the agents' to-do list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.