Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

All things Employee & Buddy Pass (D3, D* passes etc.) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: As FlyerTalk is a frequent flyer (passenger) site, you won’t find much experience or knowledge about Employee or Buddy Passes here if our AA employee members are off flying or choose not to answer.

Your best information source on Employee and Buddy Passes is the airline, or in the case you were granted a Buddy Pass by an employee, your employee sponsor.

Where do you stack up against other non-revenue pass riders while flying standby on American Airlines flights? Find your group in the prioritized list below. Be sure to check in for your flight as early as possible, as priority within groups is determined by time of check in.

D1 – Eligible employees using allotted passes

D2 – American Airlines and wholly-owned employees and their parents when accompanied

D2R – Retirees

D2P – Parents traveling without employee

AAC* – Employees of non-wholly owned regionals and their companions

D3 – Buddy passes

ONE – oneworld employees

ZED – Other airline employees traveling on ZED tickets

*AAC – Non-wholly owned regional employees traveling on their “own metal” will be boarded first

Link to clearedlist.net
Print Wikipost

All things Employee & Buddy Pass (D3, D* passes etc.) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
A6P is the only way to go. Boy was I spoiled growing up.
Old May 28, 2014, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Some tips -

Only travel with carry-on bags. Avoid travel on busy days which are around holidays, Thursday and Friday after noon, Sunday anytime, Monday mornings. Best days for travel Tuesday and Wednesday. Watch for bad weather, can wreak havoc on non-revs. If one of your flights cancels it could take a couple of days to get on a flight.

Frankly, speaking as a former airline employee, buddy passes are not a good deal. You're at the very bottom of the standby list and can get stuck for days, especially if traveling as a trio. Decide in advance what you'll do if there's one or two seats, will you split up?

I know a guy who went to South America on a buddy pass and never could get on a return flight. He had to buy a full-fare ticket, can you imagine what that cost? My airline friends frequently offer me buddy passes, I never accept.
Old May 29, 2014, 1:02 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
To the OP: the employee should be able to answer all questions and give you flt info and available seats:

Link to AA buddy passes (where this belongs):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Here is a good link about buddy passes (DL):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html

I found this one from DL. Good info. I AM SURE THESE RULES ALSO APPLY AT AA/US:

http://travelinfo.delta.com/dlnonrev/Buddy_quette.pdf

Remember you are D3 (low). You should have the person that gave you the pass check flts for you and let you know the rules flying on AA/US.

I've used a buddy pass years ago, it was not my cup of tea. The employee is also responsible for your actions. Read the Delta buddy pass link above (I am sure AA/US are very similar).

Happy travels.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:10 pm

Hello everybody!

It's the first time in my life that I join into a group like this =D
I really hope that you guys can help me.

Well, I am in a difficult situation, my uncle is retired from AA in US, I asked to my uncle if he could arrange a buddy pass to my mother (his sister) to come visit me in Montreal (where I live now), but I discover on the internet that last year that AA changed the policy and now retired and employees can travel for free as well as some relatives, example father/mother/sister/brother... and they have 9 buddy passes per year.

So I asked about that to my uncle before she travels, but he just ignored that information (he never give an answer) and charged us for the flight by giving her buddy passes (3D). I would pay without questioning the amount, but it seems quite over charged. In 2010, I made the same flights and paid 250 us d, also provide by him, but now he is asking 750.

She flew on March/2015 from Rio de Janeiro (GIG) to Miami (MIA) and then from Miami (MIA) to Montreal (YUL) and when she returned, on month later, she went to the same airports.

So can you help me guys to know if this is correct? I don't know, but sometimes the people nowadays make me really sad, are there no incorruptible people anymore? Or the things changed so much that sisters are not relatives anymore... Anyway, as I said, I will pay, but at least I want to know if I am paying the right amount or he is getting a profit of it.

We asked him by email, but again, he ignored.

Thanks a lot and a happy day for every one =)
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Karla Melo
...but I discover on the internet that last year that AA changed the policy and now retired and employees can travel for free as well as some relatives, example father/mother/sister/brother... and they have 9 buddy passes per year.
The only relatives who can travel for the same cost as the employee or retiree - it's free only after certain level of seniority is attained - are spouses, parents and children under 24 years of age. Everyone else has to use a "buddy pass." The current "buddy pass" allotment is 16 one way trips per year for active employees. I believe, but am not certain, that retirees get only 8 one way D3 passes per calendar year.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
And D3 travelers do pay significantly more. Depending on which cabin she was in on each of the 4 legs, I believe total cost of the service charges would be anywhere from about $550 to $800.

Assuming she was in Business or First on at least one leg, it sounds like your uncle is charging you correctly.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by 777Pax
And D3 travelers do pay significantly more. Depending on which cabin she was in on each of the 4 legs, I believe total cost of the service charges would be anywhere from about $550 to $800.

Assuming she was in Business or First on at least one leg, it sounds like your uncle is charging you correctly.
And, unless things have changed, the employee/retiree must also pay income tax on the imputed income of the pass travel (less any fees charged by AA) by a sibling. Again, depending on the class of service flown, AA's fees and the "value" of the pass travel could be substantial.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Karla Melo: what cabin are you requesting to fly in? That seems a bit steep on price
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
d3 is such a gamble to fly these days. Last time I flew D3 was in …2005. IIRC, December 2005. That morning, we were trying to get back from LHR-JFK. As we made our way to the airport, we get news of a fuel explosion near the airport, in Hemel Hempstead. Our AAunt bid us good luck and told us to try and attempt a flight from Paris or other cities.

Jetnet was showing all red, no flight availability. We took a chance and nailed 2 F class seats home on the 777. Amazing.

Nowadays, I would not take a chance unless I was single.
Old May 2, 2015, 1:51 pm

It was coach in all flights. What do you think it is the average?

Originally Posted by 777Pax

Old May 2, 2015, 1:53 pm

Hi, she traveled by coach.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:36 pm

So i fly D3 standby and i guess my question is, we all been there and you don't get on the flight. If I had a citi prestige could I get into the AA admirals club with my standby ticket?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 12:22 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mab631
So i fly D3 standby and i guess my question is, we all been there and you don't get on the flight. If I had a citi prestige could I get into the AA admirals club with my standby ticket?
Effective May 22, 2014, non-revenue passengers who are Admirals Club members, or holders of qualifying credit cards or day passes may use the club.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Effective May 22, 2014, non-revenue passengers who are Admirals Club members, or holders of qualifying credit cards or day passes may use the club.
But does this include the Citi Prestige being that card only provides access not membership? Like i will have to show my ticket which it won't have a seat on it only the flight im trying to get on lol?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by mab631
But does this include the Citi Prestige being that card only provides access not membership? Like i will have to show my ticket which it won't have a seat on it only the flight im trying to get on lol?
Sorry, I don't know the answer; the Trip Book discusses access for annual and 30-day Admirals Club members, and holders of the Citi Executive® / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard®. The Prestige card is not mentioned.

You have nothing to lose by trying. Be mindful that, if admitted, you are not supposed to ask the agents in the club to check standby lists, flight loads, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.