Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

How/Where to get Short Connection Special Treatment at LAX TBIT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)

I will be flying PVG-LAX, which lands at Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT), and then connecting on to a domestic flight from Terminal 4. While the connection is legal, it is marginal, and TBIT can be chaotic and slow at the best of times, followed by having to re-clear security in Terminal 4, etc. However, in additional to US citizen, permanent resident and foreign immigration queues, TBIT also has a special line for people with "short connections". To access this line, I believe you have to get a special card or jacket for your onward ticket. My question is, where does one get these cards or tickets jackets, and how short a connection does one need in order to qualify?

Thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Wexflyer
To access this line, I believe you have to get a special card or jacket for your onward ticket. My question is, where does one get these cards or tickets jackets, and how short a connection does one need in order to qualify?
An agent in a purple vest will meet the flight and hand out pre-prepared orange sleeves to anyone who qualifies. Usually it will be announced that if you are flying to X, Y or Z then you should see one of these purple-vested agents.

In my experience, you will not get one of these passes if it has not been pre-prepared for you. So there is no action you need to take - show up, and if your connection is tight they will give it to you; if you don't get it then by definition you should not be worrying.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by jridge
In my experience, you will not get one of these passes if it has not been pre-prepared for you. So there is no action you need to take - show up, and if your connection is tight they will give it to you; if you don't get it then by definition you should not be worrying.
I guess I am not so sanguine. MCT international to domestic at LAX is 1:30, and I have a 1:45 connection. However, the PVG flight arrives at T4, will then have to be bussed to TBIT for US immigration/customs fun (i.e. sheer seething chaos the last few times I have been there), then have to walk back to T4, reclear security, and finally, take bus to the commuter terminal. In my humble opinion, 1:45 is tight, very tight.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/fivestarservice.jsp
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
3Cforme nailed it.

OP, not sure why you keep referring to MCT. You booked a 1:45 connection, which you think is too tight for comfort, despite AA's assertion that just 90 minutes is enough. Why would you do that if you aren't comfortable with it? IMO, AA is not going to prepare a "tight connection sleeve" for a pax with a legal connection and an on-time arrival.

If you want peace of mind, book 5-star service as mentioned above. Also, programs like GE help speed things up on this connection process as well.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
My last 2 PVG-LAX (10/29/13 & 1/8/14) flights came into TBIT and not the outlying terminal (Terminal 4?). That may help reduce your angst. But YMMV.

Also Global Entry is a must if you fly international frequently, especially at LAX. MrsDallas49er and I, w/o checked luggage on the 10/29 flight, were at the curb waiting for our hotel shuttle 22 minutes after our feet hit the jetway. And no we did not run! In either case, good luck!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
It's worth noting that 5Star cannot expedite through Customs at LAX, so don't book it purely for that.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
there is no service to express you through Border control - only speaking nicely to the queue managers and trying to find a helpful airline rep... five star will not work for this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.