Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Boeing 767-300 / 763 "CIP" with Lie Flat Business (2014 CIP)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current thread for discussing the 767-323ER Thompson Vantage Business Seats is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1542143-boeing-767-300-763-thompson-vantage-business-seat-map-best-seats.html.

"CIP" Cabin Improvement Program Full Lie Flat Thompson Vantage Seat and All-Aisle Access. 16 of 24 with WiFi, Business with tablets for IFE.

See American Airlines Business Class Seat video in first post
[/b]
[/center]
Due to thread and interest growth, please see 763 / 767 CIP New (2014) Business Seat and Map (master thread). BUSINESS SEAT and BUSINESS CABIN posts have moved to that thread.

NOTE: All currently flying 763s are refurbished.

100% of the active fleet have been converted (as of 30OCT17) (* = wifi available):
  • N342AN*, N343AN*, N344AN*, N346AN*, N347AN*, N348AN*, N349AN*, N350AN*, N379AA, N381AN*, N384AA*, N385AM, N388AA, N389AA, N390AA, N391AA, N392AN, N393AN, N394AN, N395AN, N396AN, N397AN*, N398AN, and N399AN*.

The following 34 aircraft have been retired (as of 30OCT17):
  • N345AN, N351AA, N352AA, N353AA, N354AA, N355AA, N357AA, N358AA, N39356, N359AA, N360AA, N361AA, N362AA, N363AA, N39364, N39365, N366AA, N39367, N368AA, N369AA, N370AA, N371AA, N372AA, N373AA, N374AA, N7375A, N376AN, N377AN, N378AN, N382AN, N383AN, N386AA, N387AM, N380AN (with N373AA being the final NGBC aircraft retired to Roswell on 30OCT17)

Program details:
  • ~26 (46%) of AA's fleet of 57 763 / 767-323ERs have been retained and upgraded with a Cabin Improvement Program - 28 new horizontal lie-flat Thompson Vantage business seats, 14 MCE seats (row 11 gets removed as the business cabin is enlarged), and 163 coach / economy (including 14 exit row) seats. Other upgrades include international satellite Wi-Fi (refit started in 2016), 110V AC power outlets in the business cabin (MCE and coach will retain 15V DC cigarette-lighter style power), new overhead monitors and audio systems, and a refurbishment of lavatories and main cabin seats. No personal in-seat video system was installed - the premium cabin retain the Samsung Galaxy tablets (docked to seatbacks) on international flights, and the main cabin, as well as the premium cabin on domestic flights, will stay with shared overhead screens.

• These aircraft were refurbished for one reason: the AA/BA/IB/AY transatlantic joint business agreement requires that AA have lie-flat seats for transatlantic routes.

• Link to post with artist's rendition of new J cabin. Link to post with new seat maps as they appear in AA.com

• Link to airchive article including pictures, and Link to mycrewlife blog post with more renderings showing the business cabin.

• Link to FT Trip Report with images

• Link to AA's widebody CIP announcement. For 777 upgrades, see thread 777-200ER / 772 No First; New Business Announced 2014 (767 stuff moved).

J-cabin seat map:

Code:
   A  D  G  J
 2 0_ 0_0_ _0 2
 3 _0 _0_0 0_ 3
 4 0_ 0_0_ _0 4
 5 _0 _0_0 0_ 5
 6 0_ 0_0_ _0 6
 7 _0 _0_0 0_ 7
 8 0_ 0_0_ _0 8
 A  D  G  J

Legend: 0 = seat; _ = table
Link to SeatGuru 763 seat chart

Note: the seats in C behind seats with smaller consoles (inside center) have smaller foot cubbies; those with large feet or shoes will feel cramped. Those over six feet will feel cramped if they lie supine in the fully flattened seat; sleeping slanted or side sleeping with bent legs is possible.

In Business they offer a 110 VAC multi-socket in the e-pad front tray area, and another, as well as USB and audio mini jack at shoulder height over and at the rear of the console. Seat controls are touch controls, and can involuntarily be operated by resting your forearm on the console.

The tray table is released with a button; it pivots out and folds. Table height may impede those who are portly or have long legs. Overhead bins, IFE monitors, lavs etc. have not been upgraded.

JDiver's mini-report here.

Contributors: sensei, SDQBound(former B7e7US), Longboater, Econometrics[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Boeing 767-300 / 763 "CIP" with Lie Flat Business (2014 CIP)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
IMO this looks to be a great improvement from the "new" AA. The current ski-slope J seats on the 763s are much less comfortable than the blue recliners they replaced. To me, I'd imagine that something which is lie-flat will certainly be more comfortable than the ski slopes. The bar is not very high here

And I don't expect in-seat entertainment to be installed in aircraft which are not going to be in the fleet for much longer. I'd prefer that AA spent the profits they make off me in more lasting ways ^
Just the fact there is no "crawl-over" and single seating is really, really nice. A very nice improvement over existing 763 J-seating, needless to say.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Another disappointment from the "new" AA - looks quite narrow and confined - Is the old J more comfortable? Despite being angle-flat I feel like the old J at least gives you some wiggle room. Maybe the pictures are deceiving. And no in-seat IFE even in J? Pathetic. I can understand not in Y, but geez.
I haven't flown the new J seat yet (obviously). However I cannot imagine it not being a substantial improvement over the current/soon-to-be-previous J seat. Then again, when previously ranking AA's premium seats, I was among the few to rank the 762 J seat higher than the 763 J seat.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
This theme is getting so, so, so, so, so tiresome.
Particularly when it's obviously being asserted at the wrong time. At least save those gripes for when there's a clear devaluation/downward trend for everyone (like reinstitution of the change fee on deep-discount domestic F fares) or even just for some (loss of AC access with Amex Plat; no more free MCE for GLD).
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
IMO this looks to be a great improvement from the "new" AA. The current ski-slope J seats on the 763s are much less comfortable than the blue recliners they replaced.

This statement is puzzling (it's a joke, right?) and I vehemently disagree; I am reminded of how massively better the new seats are every time I fly on the 762 J who still has the exact same 1998 recliners -- the 2006 763 seats are miles ahead in comfort, even when you don't set them to their slanted flat configuration (yes, you can use them as recliners).
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:10 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by hillrider
…I vehemently disagree; I am reminded of how massively better the new seats are every time I fly on the 762 J who still has the exact same 1998 recliners -- the 2006 763 seats are miles ahead in comfort, even when you don't set them to their slanted flat configuration (yes, you can use them as recliners).
Sadly, not joking! I might not state it vehemently, but I have always found (and continue to find) that the old blue recliners are significantly more comfortable than the newer ski slopes, and that they provide more comfortable sitting, reclining, and sleeping positions than the ski slopes. While I do appreciate the other, more modern features of the ski slope seating units, when it comes to the seating area itself, I would gladly take an old 762 J seat over a 763 J seat, any day!
Old Apr 4, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FAA1996
One of my pet peeves wit the NGBC seat is the lack of storage or space to put anything.....Have to keep the pillow and duvet on the floor until you turn it into a "bed".

Nope, I for one am VERY excited about the new seat, and hopefully will not be let down too much when I try I out 3 weeks from today....
I'm excited about the new seat as well, and agree with your other observations, except you don't have to keep the pillow and duvet on the floor in the mean time, just throw them behind the seat back and retrieve when you want to set up your bed..
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by FAA1996
I usually have to get up and put them in the overhead bin.....
Scandalous
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA
I think it's all a matter of perspective. I have flown the 2006 business seats, and while they don't match up to the 77W business seats, they are way more comfortable than any coach seat. I hope to someday try out the 2014 763 business seats; it looks like an improvement over the 2006 seats according to the pictures.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Very narrow IMO, and zero foot room when in flat mode (ie. feet hit bottom of seat in front).
The current product does that - the footcatcher / shoecrusher on NGBC is like that. Ah well it is an interim product; the 77W is here, the 772 is beginning its CIP, the 787 will finally be here (so say Boeing spokesperson Mr. Vladimir Pundit and AA spokesperson Ms. Gloria Estragon. )

We can call this "IBC" (Interim Business Class) or merely classify it as an "ABC" product (Always Beats Coach).
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Very narrow IMO, and zero foot room when in flat mode (ie. feet hit bottom of seat in front).
I wonder how it compares to the J seats in the 32B, I find those to be very narrow and small/short. My feet usually hit the bottom and I have to keep my feet sideways (small space for feet). However I think they are better than the NGBC seat, is if these are similar space wise, they will be ok although not ideal.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:56 pm

As far as seat width goes, does anyone know what the general feeling is on the DL version of this seat-- same width. I'd assume it's "narrow but at least the space is all your own and a healthy buffer between you and neighbor (where applicable)" type reviews, but maybe someone's read more specific input.
I've been on the DL seat (in the 764). Honestly, I really liked it and found it super-comfortable for sleeping. In fact, I found it more comfortable than AA Flagship suite, which I found comparably "lumpy" versus this seat. If I think back, I guess it's a bit narrow, but for anyone of average or below average weight, I would think it should be comfortable. I definitely didn't feel like I was remotely tight or claustrophobic.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aa4ever
I've been on the DL seat (in the 764). Honestly, I really liked it and found it super-comfortable for sleeping. In fact, I found it more comfortable than AA Flagship suite, which I found comparably "lumpy" versus this seat. If I think back, I guess it's a bit narrow, but for anyone of average or below average weight, I would think it should be comfortable. I definitely didn't feel like I was remotely tight or claustrophobic.
Glad to hear it. I mean I'm sure we'll all be incredibly surprised if we don't see reports that call the seat "tight," "awful" and "torture-like" etc., etc

But I, for one, am glad to hear there's some hope.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Glad to hear it. I mean I'm sure we'll all be incredibly surprised if we don't see reports that call the seat "tight," "awful" and "torture-like" etc., etc

But I, for one, am glad to hear there's some hope.
Having flown on these seats on both LX and DL, I will say they look more impressive than they are. However, they have good work space and depending on the seat some extra floor storage space to your side.

The problem I found is the foot space and in the throne seats when in the bed position I am knocking elbows against the sides. After taking a look at other LX seats my last flight it looked like the single non-throne seats are probably better -- there is extra shoulder and foot room because the seat opens either to the curved wall of the aircraft or to the aisle.

My overall J-type seat ratings would be:

1. EY Staggered J suites (window) and BA 744 Row 62 or 64AK
1a. CX/US/BR/AA/DL744-330 style reverse herring bone
3. QR 777 J seats -- 2x2x2 - 78 inch pitch with unimpeded foot space (TK also has 78 inches w no foot impediments which makes these seats great for folks who move when sleeping.
4. AC/VS/DL herring bone
5. DL/LX staggered J
6. PMCO J (poor footspace - awkward stepover)
7. PMUA backwards/forwards - absolutely no privacy
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
My overall J-type seat ratings would be:

1. EY Staggered J suites (window) and BA 744 Row 62 or 64AK
1a. CX/US/BR/AA/DL744-330 style reverse herring bone
3. QR 777 J seats -- 2x2x2 - 78 inch pitch with unimpeded foot space (TK also has 78 inches w no foot impediments which makes these seats great for folks who move when sleeping.
4. AC/VS/DL herring bone
5. DL/LX staggered J
6. PMCO J (poor footspace - awkward stepover)
7. PMUA backwards/forwards - absolutely no privacy
You cannot compare the 744J with 763J. Not fair. The 763s body is too narrow to fit a seat designed for the 744.

I wish you had compiled a ranking of only 763 J seats.

This tread is really something.
As said numerous times upthread, the are not too many solutions that provide ALL of the following for a 763:
-All Aisle Access
-Flat Bed.
-Competitive # of seats density.

It will never be a hotel king size bed. Even then, people would complain about the mattress being to firm (or soft).

Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by carlosdca
You cannot compare the 744J with 763J. Not fair. The 763s body is too narrow to fit a seat designed for the 744.

I wish you had compiled a ranking of only 763 J seats.

This tread is really something.
As said numerous times upthread, the are not too many solutions that provide ALL of the following for a 763:
-All Aisle Access
-Flat Bed.
-Competitive # of seats density.

It will never be a hotel king size bed. Even then, people would complain about the mattress being to firm (or soft).

I'm not wed to a particular airline, so seat comfort does impact the airline I fly.

But what good is it to compare 767s AC with 1x1x1 herring bone vs. PMCO 2x1x2 vs PMUA 2x2x2 vs DL and AA staggered unless you are talking it is a route where they are all using the same aircraft.

If you are going NYC-MXP your choice of nonstop flights includes 777s, 330s and 767s - and is going to be AA staggered, DL staggered, EK whatever they have on their 777s, PMCO 2x1x2 767 or AZ 330 which has the same terrific EY J seats. In this case AZ would be my choice.

It's not the customer's fault an airline has a particular type of aircraft configured in a certain way.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I'm not wed to a particular airline, so seat comfort does impact the airline I fly.

But what good is it to compare 767s AC with 1x1x1 herring bone vs. PMCO 2x1x2 vs PMUA 2x2x2 vs DL and AA staggered unless you are talking it is a route where they are all using the same aircraft.

If you are going NYC-MXP your choice of nonstop flights includes 777s, 330s and 767s - and is going to be AA staggered, DL staggered, EK whatever they have on their 777s, PMCO 2x1x2 767 or AZ 330 which has the same terrific EY J seats. In this case AZ would be my choice.

It's not the customer's fault an airline has a particular type of aircraft configured in a certain way.
If you were just gonna name favorite/best/nice business-class seats without regard to the suitability to the actual plane being discussed, though, (AA new 763 new business class,) I'm a little surprised you forgot about SQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.