Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU Availability Showing on AA.com! (2013 onward; consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Systemwide Upgrades / SWU Reflected on AAdvantage Account Online
(formerly eVIP, VIP) as of 2013

System wide upgrade (SWU) availability is shown when booking flights on AA.com. If available, the words "Systemwide Upgrade" will appear below the flight number of the first leg of an itinerary. For an example of the notation, please see post #5.

False positives: Reports argue, however, that there are reasons why SWU may not actually be applicable for a given flight even if listed:
  1. SWU availability will appear if any possibilities are applicable: two-class economy to first upgrades (A inventory), three-class economy to business upgrades (C inventory), three-class business to first upgrades (A inventory). This creates on confusion on three-class international flights because C inventory is often desired, but A inventory is more available.
  2. With connecting flights, if any segment has SWU availability, the complete itinerary will be flagged as having SWU availability. This creates confusion as the desired (long) segment may not have availability.

False negatives:
  1. The person searching must be logged into the AAdvantage account and have a valid SWU for availability to show.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG/Marriott Plat, WOH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Gold, jetBlue Mosaic

I may be hallucinating but on AA.com, I am looking at a MIA-SEA-MIA itinerary and on the flight matrix page, right below the Flight #, there's an icon that says "Systemwide Upgrade." When I click it, a box pops up saying:

Systemwide Upgrades are currently available on one or more American Airlines, American Eagle and/or American Connection® flights within this itinerary.

Systemwide Upgrades are limited so contact AAdvantage Reservations to book your upgrade now.

Seems like quite a useful enhancement!!!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:37 pm

Flight Search now showing SWU availability

Flight Searches are now showing SWU. I think it's just for EXP.

So no more annoying calling EXP desk all the time.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
weird, i am still weightlisted for a SWU on EZE-JFK and my itinerary shows two listings for my coach seat and then a separate for my confirmed in C class with seat unassigned. EXP desk says its an error and would not assign me a seat.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
What dates, flight number? I do not see anything on this.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm seeing the same thing and it agrees with EF. This is fantastic! (although on the negative side this means that those of us with EF subscriptions have lost part of our advantage)

And this is what you see when you click....

ETA: The Seat Maps are new too. Looks like we're starting to see the system changes go through.

Last edited by Stripy; Dec 4, 2013 at 8:52 pm
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
weird, i am still weightlisted for a SWU on EZE-JFK and my itinerary shows two listings for my coach seat and then a separate for my confirmed in C class with seat unassigned. EXP desk says its an error and would not assign me a seat.
I think this is a new enhancement, showing your SWU waitlist.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum
"phantom evip upgrade listing"

i have been getting that same "phantom upgrade listing" every time i get evip upgrades for the past month or so (4 international legs so far). it's always come thro as a confirmed upgrade within 24 hours tho annoying you cant get a seat assignment til it does...

actually it just now happened again, for a trip to europe later this month. i had previously been waiting til the 'phantom upgrade' became 'real' & i could get a seat online. but this time i'm traveling with mrs soho and called the exp desk to make sure that we get seats together.

i got a very irritable person on the phone who told me i must be mistaken and was not upgraded. when i told her that this was the 4th time the phantom listing had appeared in this way and it became active (for seat selection) within 24 hours each time, and i had read this was happening to other people too, she went from merely irritated to positively pissed and said that she'd never heard of such a thing from any other exp's over the phone and anyway it didn't matter as i wasn't upgraded, and she couldn't see any evidence of any phantom listing in "C" class in my reservation in her system ...

Last edited by sohony; Dec 4, 2013 at 9:13 pm Reason: additional info after calling exp desk
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Can anyone speak as to whether or not this reflects the expanded C availability for EXPs?

I clear quite a few upgrades with phone agents even though EF says C0.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Same here for my JFK-GIG and GRU-JFK flights for mrs george 3 and me. I'm going to call CK desk tomorrow to see what is going on.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:08 pm

DFW-LHR,
All non 77W flights show SWU available.

Looks like it is finally happening.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Available to SEE availability but not to snag.

I don't see how this is any different than EF....just perhaps easier to choose flights without have an EF window open simultaneously.

Many of us always check EF before even going to AA.com...

What I really would like to see is the ability to snag C or A inventory (either for eVIPs or miles+copay) online, instead of having to call AA. Granted, I know it is not likely given that the Tariff Dept is often involved in ticket reissues, etc., but still, it would be nice.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
DFW-LHR,
All non 77W flights show SWU available.

Looks like it is finally happening.
This will certainly make travel choices easier. You can choose flights based on SWU availability without having to spend time
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by sohony
i have been getting that same "phantom upgrade listing" every time i get evip upgrades for the past month or so (4 international legs so far). it's always come thro as a confirmed upgrade within 24 hours tho annoying you cant get a seat assignment til it does...

actually it just now happened again, for a trip to europe later this month. i had previously been waiting til the 'phantom upgrade' became 'real' & i could get a seat online. but this time i'm traveling with mrs soho and called the exp desk to make sure that we get seats together.

i got a very irritable person on the phone who told me i must be mistaken and was not upgraded. when i told her that this was the 4th time the phantom listing had appeared in this way and it became active (for seat selection) within 24 hours each time, and i had read this was happening to other people too, she went from merely irritated to positively pissed and said that she'd never heard of such a thing from any other exp's over the phone and anyway it didn't matter as i wasn't upgraded, and she couldn't see any evidence of any phantom listing in "C" class in my reservation in her system ...
Yeah. I had the same thing happened. And since we're traveling with a lap child, it never upgraded in 24 hours because of the infant lap child fee. So, I would call if it takes a while and doesn't go through, otherwise it'll just be sitting there forever.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tonytifao
This will certainly make travel choices easier. You can choose flights based on SWU availability without having to spend time

Well, sort of....it makes it easier for those with eVIPs to use them....but harder for the rest of us who are competing with them for limited upgrade inventory!

Frankly, for those of us who are savvy, it is better that the vast majority of pax (including even some EXPs) do not know that they could upgrade.

Here's a question: will this system eventually show non-status pax that they could do mileage+copay upgrades in flight search results? If so, we will be screwed--all the inventory will be GONE (except the mythical "expanded" EXP inventory), especially for EXPs who have no choice but to book closer to departure date...

For most of us, the reason we are able to score so many upgrades and benefits is because the vast majority of the traveling public is CLUELESS about those benefits. If AA.com is making it easier for non-status pax (and even clueless elites) to be aware of, and use, certain benefits, it means that we no longer will have the advantage of our keen understanding of the system...
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I think I had the same rude agent as you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.