Wiki Posts
Search

1-800 FLOWERS scam

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat
1-800 FLOWERS scam

Boy am I stupid! I just realized that an outfit called TLG Livwell has been charging my husband's credit card $11.99/month for 17 months. I researched this on the internet and found out this is often associated with a purchase from 1 800 Flowers. Apparently that organization sells your credit card info to this Livwell outfit, which then proceeds to sneak a monthly charge on to your card.

I just spoke with Livwell and I think I got them to refund us. of course the person tried to give me the runaround-claimed we had signed up, etc. Very slick sounding.

I know that we used 1 800 FLOWERS because of the AA mileage it offered, so I am posting here to hope to prevent any other FTers from getting scammed.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I really wish Congress would make it a lot harder for companies to sneak in these monthly charges.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 7:58 am

Programs: Global Entry, 4MM, Lifetime AAdvantage Platinum
TLG Livewell is notorious for fraudulent billing practices with 1-800-FLOWERS being a company in common with many complaints. They have been sued and forced to pay millions for this practice. TLG Livewell is actually Trilegiant Corporation.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:06 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Interesting. I have used 1-800-Flowers a number of times and never had a problem with this. Is there some "opt-out" thing in the offer that, if not selected, results in this charge? I always look carefully for things like this, and have never been bitten.

If this is the case, it falls into the category of completely sleazy and unethical, but it's not actual fraud. If there is no information/option/selection and they just charge cards with no notice, then it is fraud.

Bad news (and thanks for reporting) in either case.

I have to ask,though (and this is not to justify,in any way, what TLG did)- how could one not notice an unauthorized charge for 17 months? Doesn't everyone reconcile monthly to make sure these things don't happen?

Cheers.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 2P, NWA & AirTran A+ refugee
Originally Posted by brp
I have to ask,though (and this is not to justify,in any way, what TLG did)- how could one not notice an unauthorized charge for 17 months? Doesn't everyone reconcile monthly to make sure these things don't happen?
Isn't your liability as a consumer for fraudulent charges variable dependent on when you report the theft/fraudulent activity? Or did Congress finally fix this loophole?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:29 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flatlined
Isn't your liability as a consumer for fraudulent charges variable dependent on when you report the theft/fraudulent activity? Or did Congress finally fix this loophole?
I think that this is protection via the credit card company (and I don't know the time limits). It seems that, in the OP's case, the company itself remedied the issue without recourse to the CC. The offending company can refund anything they wish.

Cheers.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
I had something similar happen. The best thing is to contact the Better Business Bureau.

http://www.bbb.org/

You can file a complaint online and I've found they are VERY quick to investigate and THEY contact the company. Everything is documented. They are really great. Definitely report them to stop them from fraud.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Interesting background on this company from the BBB website.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by saint
I had something similar happen. The best thing is to contact the Better Business Bureau.

http://www.bbb.org/

You can file a complaint online and I've found they are VERY quick to investigate and THEY contact the company. Everything is documented. They are really great. Definitely report them to stop them from fraud.
Another vote for BBB. Have used them a couple of times to help resolve various issues. Last time was when EZ Lube (I know you should never use a quickie oil change place but I was in a rush) caused a problem with the drain plug on my car. BBB helped get EZ Lube to reimburse me over $700 for replacement of the oil pan.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Advantage Starwood
Angry Had a similar problem

I had a similar problem with Buy.com and Webloyalty/Reservation Rewards. It involves a popup window with vague language and small print. I am disappointed in any web business that partners with company using deceptive practices. I have not bought anything further from Buy.com. I would encourage everyone to not do business with websites that partner with these scam artists. That would put a quick stop to this.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:26 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by sonora
Boy am I stupid! I just realized that an outfit called TLG Livwell has been charging my husband's credit card $11.99/month for 17 months. I researched this on the internet and found out this is often associated with a purchase from 1 800 Flowers. Apparently that organization sells your credit card info to this Livwell outfit, which then proceeds to sneak a monthly charge on to your card.

I just spoke with Livwell and I think I got them to refund us. of course the person tried to give me the runaround-claimed we had signed up, etc. Very slick sounding.

I know that we used 1 800 FLOWERS because of the AA mileage it offered, so I am posting here to hope to prevent any other FTers from getting scammed.
Thanks for posting this. You've piqued my curiosity. If you wouldn't mind sharing, what did they claim they were charging you for?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:28 am

I know this is a callous response, but you didn't notice for 17 months? In the world we're living in today, there's no excuse for not carefully reviewing every credit card bill you receive. I probably find a questionable charge on my bill every few months, and if I don't know what it is, I call the phone number printed right on the statement next to the charge and ask them to tell me what I bought.

That being said, I hope that your credit card company is being understanding and should assist you, if these are charges that you did not agree to. I suspect that you accidentally opted-into a program like this:

http://www.xconomy.com/boston/2009/0...ing-practices/
Old Sep 21, 2009, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
Interesting. I have used 1-800-Flowers a number of times and never had a problem with this. Is there some "opt-out" thing in the offer that, if not selected, results in this charge? I always look carefully for things like this, and have never been bitten.

If this is the case, it falls into the category of completely sleazy and unethical, but it's not actual fraud. If there is no information/option/selection and they just charge cards with no notice, then it is fraud.

Bad news (and thanks for reporting) in either case.

Cheers.
I thought I had been very careful. I really have no excuse. This was on my husband's credit card, which he relies on me to pay. He makes many small purchases, and often buys inexpensive software and CDs on the net. When I spotted the charge this month, I was totally stunned as I went back through prior statements and found I had not caught this in so many months. I am ordinarily right on that stuff. So somehow I missed it, the charge was just small enough that I missed it.

But 17 times? I ask you! I have no good excuse!
Old Sep 21, 2009, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
Thanks for posting this. You've piqued my curiosity. If you wouldn't mind sharing, what did they claim they were charging you for?
They claimed it was a "buying club". They also claimed we had opted in-I am sure this is not true-and that they had sent us materials in the mail. Also untrue. However when I disputed each of their claims, the person quickly moved on to the next thing. It was so slick and practiced that I conclude they must get many many calls like mine.

I had to fax them a letter to get all the charges removed, but they said they would do it. We shall see. When they asked me to fax a letter I was cheerfully willing to do so, on my law firm stationery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.