Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gerard Arpey announces flights realignments coming

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2009, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Gerard Arpey announces flights realignments coming

Sept. 17 (Bloomberg) -- "AMR Corp., whose American Airlines is the world’s second-largest carrier, said it obtained a total of $2.9 billion in additional liquidity and new aircraft financing, announced plans to strengthen its network by reallocating capacity to hubs in Dallas/Fort Worth, Chicago, Miami and New York, and will enhance its fleet to better serve customers. (etc.)"

"AMR Corporation, the parent company of American Airlines and American Eagle, today announced a series of actions that will better position it to meet the industry’s near-term economic challenges while continuing to build on its foundation and strategy for long-term success. The highlights of the announcement include:

A total of $2.9 billion in additional liquidity and new aircraft financing was obtained. The $2.9 billion consists of: $1.3 billion in new liquidity, including $1 billion in cash from the advance sale of AAdvantage ™ frequent flyer miles to Citibank and $280 million in cash under a loan facility from GE Capital Aviation Services (GECAS) secured by owned aircraft; and $1.6 billion in sale-leaseback financing commitments from GECAS for Boeing 737s previously ordered by the Company.

American selected GE’s GEnx-1B 74/75 engine for American’s future 787 deliveries.

Eagle plans to add a First Class cabin to its fleet of 25 Canadair CRJ-700 regional jets and also signed a letter of intent with Bombardier, Inc. to exercise options for the purchase of 22 additional CRJ-700s for delivery beginning in the middle of 2010.

American and Eagle are refocusing their collective network strategy to eliminate unprofitable flying and reallocate resources to hubs in Dallas/Fort Worth, Chicago, Miami and New York. These four cities, along with Los Angeles, serve as the cornerstones of the Company’s network and allow the airlines to build on previous investments.

The network adjustments position the company’s combined network to benefit from important feed and global synergies from American’s planned Joint Business with British Airways, Iberia, and other oneworld partners.
The highlights of the network adjustments include:

• Add 57 additional daily flights at Chicago O’Hare, 12 new domestic and 3 new international destinations, for a total of 487 total daily departures to 114 markets.
  • Add 19 additional daily flights at DFW, one new international destination, results in 780 total daily departures to 160 destinations.
  • Add 7 new departures to 3 new domestic and 3 new international destinations at JFK; 2 additional daily flights at LaGuardia, for nearly 200 total daily departures from New York.
  • Add 23 daily flights to 2 new destinations, 294 total daily departures to 108 markets from Miami.
  • Start 3 new daily flights from Fargo, ND to Chicago, IL.
  • Start 2 daily flights from Chicago to Rapid City, SD (seasonal only) and 3 daily flights to Sioux Falls, SD.
  • Add 2 daily flights from Charleston, WV to Chicago, IL.
  • Begin 2 daily flights from Birmingham, Alabama to Miami, FL.
  • Start 3 daily flights from Allentown, 2 daily flights from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, 3 daily flights from Harrisburg, and 3 additional flights from Pittsburgh all to Chicago.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 17, 2009 at 10:14 am Reason: changes to start new thread
Old Sep 17, 2009, 6:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
http://aa.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=2729

American Eagle announced plans to enhance its fleet. Eagle plans to add a First Class cabin to its fleet of 25 Bombardier CRJ700 regional jets and also signed a letter of intent with Bombardier, Inc. to exercise options for the purchase of 22 additional CRJ700 aircraft for delivery beginning in the middle of 2010. The new CRJ700 aircraft will be fully financed.
Chicago

The Company will add 57 daily flights at O'Hare International Airport for a total of 487 daily departures. Customers will have access to 12 new domestic destinations and three new international destinations.

American has reaffirmed its commitment to Chicago as its primary Asia gateway and will start new service to Beijing, China in Spring 2010. Other new destinations will include mainline service to Honolulu; Anchorage, Alaska; and Vancouver, British Columbia. Eagle will offer new service to Calgary, Alberta; Allentown, Pa.; Scranton-Wilkes Barre, Pa.; Charleston, W.Va.; Dayton, Ohio; Fargo, N.D.; Sioux Falls, S.D.; Jacksonville, Fla.; Lexington, Ky.; Harrisburg, Pa.; and Rapid City,S.D.

In addition, another service enhancement at O'Hare will occur as Eagle deploys most of its 25 CRJ700 aircraft, which will be reconfigured to offer a First Class cabin, in the Chicago market.

New York and Los Angeles

JFK will expand service to six new destinations, three international and three domestic. New mainline service includes Madrid, Spain; Manchester, England; San Jose, Costa Rica; and Austin, Texas. Eagle will introduce service to Columbus, Ohio and St Louis. Overall, JFK daily departures will grow by seven to 96, while two daily flights will be added at LaGuardia Airport. Combined, American and Eagle will offer nearly 200 daily flights at JFK and LaGuardia.

At Los Angeles, American and Eagle will add two daily flights for a total of 129. The Company's commitment to Los Angeles also complements its relationship with oneworld partners, which also have a significant presence in that market.

Dallas/Fort Worth

The Company remains committed to its largest hub and will add 19 daily departures for a total of 780. The increase will consist of 17 mainline jet departures. In addition, service to San Salvador, El Salvador will be re-instated after a two-year hiatus, bringing total non-stop destinations from DFW to 160.

Miami

At Miami, American and Eagle will add 23 additional flights for 294 total daily departures. Including changes that will take place by the end of 2009, Miami will serve four new domestic and three new international destinations. They are Birmingham, Ala.; Charleston, S.C.; Pensacola, Fla.; and Knoxville, Tenn., as well as North Eleuthera, Governors Harbour and Treasure Cay in the Bahamas.

St. Louis and Raleigh/Durham,N.C.

As a result of the Company's network strategy, American and its regional affiliates plan to reduce operations at St. Louis and Raleigh/Durham. At St. Louis, they will reduce daily departures by 46 and discontinue service to 20 destinations. After the reductions, American and Eagle will provide 36 departures per day to nine destinations.

In Raleigh/Durham, service to three destinations will be discontinued and a total of nine departures will be eliminated. Raleigh/Durham will continue to provide service to eight destinations with 44 departures per day.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Commence the complaining posts re: STL/RDU to begin in 5...4...3...2...

Regards
Old Sep 17, 2009, 6:26 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, UA 1K
As an ORD-based flyer I am certainly excited to see some new routes, particularly YVR. It is a bit sad to see the further reductions in STL as I found it to often be a good jump off point compared to the craziness at ORD. I selfishly hope this will not impact the AC in STL...
Old Sep 17, 2009, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paseom2
As an ORD-based flyer I am certainly excited to see some new routes, particularly YVR. It is a bit sad to see the further reductions in STL as I found it to often be a good jump off point compared to the craziness at ORD. I selfishly hope this will not impact the AC in STL...
X2. In particular happy to see the return of service to HNL.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 6:38 am

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Still trying to figure out how Charleston, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Allentown get Chicago service while IAD doesn't. Talk about conceding a market to UAL.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 6:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
AA said they were going to focus on profitable routes. I don't see how flying to IAD from ORD would work for AA since their only main flight from IAD is LAX. The 3 areas you listed serve AA's purpose of increasing their hub presence at ORD.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Well I'm certainly pleased with more flights in/out of JFK. Now if I could only convince them to fly AE between SMF and LAX, but on a scale of 1 to Not Gonna Happen..
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
THE RETURN OF ORD-HNL-ORD! We'll finally be able to get some sleep eastbound again! Yay! (the DFW flights can be torture because they aren't long enough for real sleep between meal services)

I'm also LOVING the idea of JFK-MAD-JFK. I think AA is making a great move by expanding its presence at MAD (now serving MIA, DFW, and soon JFK). With the OW partner IB being based there, I can see AA gradually transitioning the FRA traffic over to MAD so as to feed more into OW partners. (By contrast, FRA has no major oneworld presence...it's all star alliance.)

(Of course, AA could withdraw any of these "forward-looking statements" at any time... and there is something of a precedent of announcing service and then not actually operating it when the time comes.)
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Thumbs up ABE Service

ABOUT TIME!

I am a CO Plat-UA GS/1K, and with CO joining *A, wanted to find a second alliance. I JUST FOUND IT!

Now-how much reading I will have to find out how to work AA and all about EXP!! Woohoo!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:14 am

For ORD based fliers, there is a lot of good news in the appearent retrenchment of the hub. It looks like they plan to fill up the L concourse after DL moves. FC on the CRJs is especially surprising and welcome!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:16 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
"We're funding these additions by pulling down capacity in less profitable markets"
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
I'm assuming its going to be STL, BDL and CMH. If so, not a huge loss and no big surprise there. I've been an RDU-based PLAT, about to be EXP, for more than two years and never used or thought of using any of those flights. Of course I'm moving to BOS and thus happy to hear that BOS isn't being touched (yet....).

Also, I find the CR7 F announcement thrilling - if only about 4 years over due.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Well, for all the "complaining posts" that float around here, I think cutting service to TWENTY destinations from STL, leaving only nine, earns the right for those affected to "complain" with full sympathy due from all.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Well, for all the "complaining posts" that float around here, I think cutting service to TWENTY destinations from STL, leaving only nine, earns the right for those affected to "complain" with full sympathy due from all.
I do have a ton of sympathy for those in STL. I know it would suck if they cut my hometown by 2/3. But in AA's defense (and I don't think you were "blaming" AA), if those flights aren't profitable, it makes complete sense to me to cut them.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.