Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMR Obtains $2.9 Billion in Liquidity & Financing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2009, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone
I sincerely apologize.

I meant in the Yahoo story it said that AA may be filing for bankruptcy soon, no actual filing.

Now, I'm guessing UA/CO would be buying out AA? I doubt it would be the other way around. I thought UA and CO were merging? That would be why CO is going to *A next month.

I agree, not US. They are gunna be bought out by 2012 by someone, likely towards DL. That would make BOS a hub. Time for the worst airline in the world to go down.
CO declined a merger with UA, and there is little chance they would bid for AA.

AA could bid for (a significantly weakened) UA, as high-finance always seems to find a way when a deal is at stake (see US/HP, US's failed bid for DL, etc).

Bottom line: bankruptcy is not currently in the cards for any of the Big 5. but next year? who knows?
Old Sep 18, 2009, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by martin33
CO declined a merger with UA, and there is little chance they would bid for AA.

AA could bid for (a significantly weakened) UA, as high-finance always seems to find a way when a deal is at stake (see US/HP, US's failed bid for DL, etc).

Bottom line: bankruptcy is not currently in the cards for any of the Big 5. but next year? who knows?
The best meger would be US/UA, they deserve each other and both have lots of A320's.
Somehow if AA and CO could get together (all Boeings) would be the best and they have NO over lapping hubs.
The Feds would never approve UA/AA due to ORD.

What happens with AS? - A WN option, maybe.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 8:31 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I would say that DFW and IAH are effectively overlapping hubs.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
I would say that DFW and IAH are effectively overlapping hubs.
Not at 250 miles
If so that would make PHL, BWI, DCA, IAD, BOS, overlapping hubs to NYC

Maybe IAH and HOU could be overlapping
Or JFK and EWR
Old Sep 18, 2009, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by zman
Not at 250 miles

Or JFK and EWR
No he has a point. This is one way of illustrating it:

http://www.census.gov/geo/www/mapGal...s/2k_night.jpg

Note that brightness corresponds to population. I think Reno and Vegas would clearly be overlapping hubs. DC and NYC might not, depending. The concept of overlapping has more to do with what hubs are used for, which is to enable one-stop flying from many places to many other places. So I can between a huge number of city pairs that wouldn't support frequent direct service fairly easily.

Take a look at these several maps:
http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/USA/...ines_DFW.shtml
http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/USA/...ines_ORD.shtml
http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/USA/...ines_MIA.shtml

And then take a look at these:
http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/USA/..._america.shtml
http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/USA/...ope_asia.shtml

And it starts to make sense. This isn't some grand secret thing I've discovered it's the core theory of hub and spoke airline service.

But consider these:
http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/USA/...pe_india.shtml
http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/USA/...ines_usa.shtml

And explain to me how there are no overlapping hubs. They don't complement each other at all. How do you get from LAS or PHX to ATL on CO? How do you do it on AA? Right, you connect in Texas.

Same general principle applies to the long haul routes, where there's real money to be made. Dallas and Houston are big but there's no population density anywhere in the US that compares with the NE corridor. A logical hub structure depends on O/D traffic (abb. for origin and destination) as well as a logical geographic location. Take for example the way routes into MIA make for pretty rational straight-line connections to Caribbean islands and South America. And so on.

Now look back at the CO map and the AA map and dayone's comment makes a lot of sense. 250 miles is just 1% of the way around the globe. It's a big world.

Now compare those three AA maps at the top with this domestically:
http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/USA/...Airlines.shtml

Or these and the various other BA ones:
http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/Euro...e_london.shtml
http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/Euro...est_asia.shtml
http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/Euro...s_africa.shtml

That's what complementary looks like. This is a long running FT topic, there's no "right" answer. But as much as I'd love more options from the NYC area, it's hard to see how AA and CO merge without creating a ton of dead weight that someone will come out on the losing end of.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:44 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Not at 250 miles

Or JFK and EWR
If operated by the same (read: merged) airline, DFW and IAH would be overlapping.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 12:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I just did a search in yahoo news, and there is no mention of American Airlines filing for bankruptcy soon only article I could find that mentioned a filing was dated 2003. Someone is misinformed.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
I just did a search in yahoo news, and there is no mention of American Airlines filing for bankruptcy soon only article I could find that mentioned a filing was dated 2003. Someone is misinformed.
You might want to read the thread a bit more closely. Nobody is stating that AA has filed for bankruptcy; people are discussing how the "chess game" in the airline industry could/might evolve over the next year or two. It's called "speculation."

Regards
Old Sep 19, 2009, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by c_stanley
And explain to me how there are no overlapping hubs. They don't complement each other at all. How do you get from LAS or PHX to ATL on CO? How do you do it on AA? Right, you connect in Texas.

Same general principle applies to the long haul routes, where there's real money to be made. Dallas and Houston are big but there's no population density anywhere in the US that compares with the NE corridor. A logical hub structure depends on O/D traffic (abb. for origin and destination) as well as a logical geographic location. Take for example the way routes into MIA make for pretty rational straight-line connections to Caribbean islands and South America. And so on.
The argument about east-west travel and taking distances as a percent of 25,000 miles rtw would certainly apply to DL running DTW and MSP (even ignoring the 3rd and 4th baby elephants in that room, CVG and MEM). The east or west based traveler has little reason ex ante to prefer any of them over the others.

Whether or not a "twin" (or more) hub system can work is a function of both the O&D at those hubs, and the overall connecting throughput of the system. One can argue that IAH and DFW overlap, but you couldn't shut one down and route all of its traffic through the other. On its own, HP had no trouble running the seemingly nutty twin hubs at PHX and LAS. AS maintains, under constant pressure, big/small twin status at SEA and PDX.

Whether or not a merger can work is a question of whether efficiencies can be achieved. Complementary systems are certainly one way to achieve that--- opening up lots of new city pairs to serve. Overlapping systems, on the other hand, offer opportunities to divert resources to better use--- for instance in the AA/CO case, the CLE operation would look ripe for pulldown and reallocation...

Such a merger does not seem likely, but it sure is fun to analyze..
Old Sep 19, 2009, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Sorry "scubadu" maybe you need to read the all the post more carefully. " tjisnumbaone" posted yesterday that he though he read on yahoo AA may file for bankruptcy. my post was in response to his post and a few that followed. Just learning how to use this, sorry if your confused. I copied his post below.

tjisnumbaone WROTE:
" you don't mind I'd like to chime in.
Saw this news story today on Yahoo, must say it may just be a over reaction, but that isn't always the case. AA going into bankruptcy?? Maybe, hopefully not. Hopefully the liquidation will be helpful.

Any thoughts on a merger for AA??

Hopefully the new 738s taking out the ancient Mad Dogs will help save fuel and lower costs.

Good luck AA."
Old Sep 19, 2009, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
If operated by the same (read: merged) airline, DFW and IAH would be overlapping.
The feds did not have an issue with DL with CVG and DTW which are closer then HOU and DFW.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 4:41 pm

The feds did not have an issue with DL with CVG and DTW which are closer then HOU and DFW.
yes, certainly not "overlapping" in the sense of anti-trust considerations... that would be a hard case to make even for EWR/JFK.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by martin33
The argument about east-west travel and taking distances as a percent of 25,000 miles rtw would certainly apply to DL running DTW and MSP (even ignoring the 3rd and 4th baby elephants in that room, CVG and MEM). The east or west based traveler has little reason ex ante to prefer any of them over the others.

Whether or not a "twin" (or more) hub system can work is a function of both the O&D at those hubs, and the overall connecting throughput of the system. One can argue that IAH and DFW overlap, but you couldn't shut one down and route all of its traffic through the other. On its own, HP had no trouble running the seemingly nutty twin hubs at PHX and LAS. AS maintains, under constant pressure, big/small twin status at SEA and PDX.

Whether or not a merger can work is a question of whether efficiencies can be achieved. Complementary systems are certainly one way to achieve that--- opening up lots of new city pairs to serve. Overlapping systems, on the other hand, offer opportunities to divert resources to better use--- for instance in the AA/CO case, the CLE operation would look ripe for pulldown and reallocation...

Such a merger does not seem likely, but it sure is fun to analyze..
Well since we're just chatting, you could speculate how long you think DTW will last in the new merged system. Given the precipitous dropoff in the core businesses in the Detroit area perhaps there's a longer term plan in mind.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 3:22 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by funnyman1515
Wait, are you saying that the New York Times printed something that was incorrect? I'm shocked. Shocked, I tells ya!!!
It was a blog post, not a published article.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
Sorry "scubadu" maybe you need to read the all the post more carefully. " tjisnumbaone" posted yesterday that he though he read on yahoo AA may file for bankruptcy. my post was in response to his post and a few that followed. Just learning how to use this, sorry if your confused. I copied his post below.

tjisnumbaone WROTE:
" you don't mind I'd like to chime in.
Saw this news story today on Yahoo, must say it may just be a over reaction, but that isn't always the case. AA going into bankruptcy?? Maybe, hopefully not. Hopefully the liquidation will be helpful.

Any thoughts on a merger for AA??

Hopefully the new 738s taking out the ancient Mad Dogs will help save fuel and lower costs.

Good luck AA."
Fair enough. My bad. Obviously, I do recommend learning how to properly quote posts you wish to respond to. Had you "quoted" the post you referenced, I would have seen both and would have made the connection. Not quoting what you want to reference in a quick moving, numerous post thread, ends up leaving your post hanging out there like a random comment, not in reference or response to anything else.

Anyhow, apologies if I ruffled your feathers, not my intent.

Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.