Wiki Posts
Search

Forced to pay twice for Lap Child...Any options for refund

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2009, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, SPG plat
Forced to pay twice for Lap Child...Any options for refund

I am seeking some advice on this unsettling experience. I purchased 3 upgradeable economy tickets for myself, wife and 4yo child. Then used eVip ungrades to upgrade for our trip to biz class to Buenos Aires from SFO. When I got to SFO, I had the agent book a R/T lap ticket for our 16mo/old child. No problems with 2 flights from SFO. After 10 day vacation, upon check in in Buenos Aires, I was informed that I would have to pay for a oneway Biz ticket again for my lapchild. I thought, I had already purchased a R/T ticket when I left. She said the tix booked was for a econ tix. I was very frustrated and upset that I had to pay twice for my lap child. I need some advice on how I should proceed. I was thinking I would dispute with my CC.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:01 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Have you tried calling AA? It seems the logical first place to start.

Also you might be running into a luxury tax imposed by the airport in Buenes Aires. You might be required to pay a percentage of the full fare of the class actually flown for a lap child, which in this instance, would be business. I believe this is the case with London airports. If the SFO agent did not collect the correct amount for business class, then that is what was being collected.

This first thing to do is call AA and find out exactly what you were required to pay and why.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Your R/T purchase for the lap child was an economy ticket. You subsequently upgraded to business class. The second collection was the the infant fare difference between Y and J. Sorry - that's the way it works.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Interesting....

I don't think I have ever encountered the question of what happens if you have a lap-child and you upgrade.

How much did the agent in Argentina charge you?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
when calculating the fare delta from Y to J are they using

Full J Fare - Full Y coach fare = delta
or
Full J Fare - Paid Y coach fare = delta
Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I've had it happen to me in Belgium. The rule is 10% of the full fare in the cabin flown by the carrying adult. $700! in my case. This was on a $1500 paid J ticket. I had not been charged on the outbound.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:25 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Since the lap child does not have a seat, I'm not sure about this- but, could you burn a SWU for the lap child and use that, instead of paying the fare difference, for the kids upgrade?

Barring that, it sure sounds like they did the right thing.

Cheers.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Well, we ended up paying about $600 for the lap child. I guess I wouldn't have been so upset if they had booked the R/T correctly when we left from SFO. I have flown United many times with the lapchild booked in econ while we flew in biz. I just felt since they booked it a certain way at the airport when we left, they should be responsible for their error. I ended up paying twice for the return in my mind.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 9:18 am

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others
So, if someone had misticketed you for your fare and later collected the remainder, you would have felt that you were paying twice for that too?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eightmillionmiler
So, if someone had misticketed you for your fare and later collected the remainder, you would have felt that you were paying twice for that too?
This was not an estimate of service rendered but an actual ticket purchased at the gate. I felt that this was an error on their end. It only reminds me why my company left AA in the first place. They will never admit an error in favor of the passenger, only to lose that paying client for life.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sfdweller,

You're absolutely correct: AA completely misrepresented itself to you, and it's a form of consumer fraud--holding your infant hostage in a foreign country unless you pay additional $$ you were never told about is ransom.

The fact that us airline geeks over here know the rules, which are not made public by AA, is completely irrelevant to your case. It's their job to train their personnel, and it's their job to stand behind when their personnel fails (one could argue that this is due to cost-cutting on training and testing).

Incidentally, I wrote a wiki entry about the unpublished byzantine rules after I had the exact same problem at LHR. I got AA to reimburse every single penny of the money they ransomed me for, but never got anything for the supreme aggravation (we were left waiting with a 7-week old infant for 75 minutes in a crowded "transfer" hall without seating, amongst other callous things) and that episode still colors the way I see AA.

AA fought tooth and nail before coughing the money they ransomed out of me, so here is my advice:
1. Ask for the refund EVERYTHING in writing--facts only. When you changed classes of service and what the rep told you. Copies of tickets etc.
2. Point out issues of consumer fraud, unfair practices, etc.
3. Most importantly: copy the Department of Transportation and both your senators and representatives (there is long-overdue airline consumer protection coming up for discussion) asking them for help on this one. AA will be more likely to cough up the illbegotten money if it senses a PR issue (I'm sure that's why I got my money back, but they threw their invisible "rule" book at me first).
4. Watch the clock: if you haven't received the $ before 60 days from the credit card statement, ask for a refund through your credit card company; your rights expire at that deadline. Technically you must ask in writing to trigger the consumer protections under the law; you also have to ask the merchant first before contacting the credit card company.

It will take you 20 minutes to send out the 4 letters--a huge ROI!
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:24 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hillrider
sfdweller,

You're absolutely correct: AA completely misrepresented itself to you, and it's a form of consumer fraud--holding your infant hostage in a foreign country unless you pay additional $$ you were never told about is ransom.

The fact that us airline geeks over here know the rules, which are not made public by AA, is completely irrelevant to your case. It's their job to train their personnel, and it's their job to stand behind when their personnel fails (one could argue that this is due to cost-cutting on training and testing).!
OK, it's obviously not fraud. That's simply an exaggeration for effect. But this point is very valid. That we know the arcane rules is not really relevant. The average member of the flying public doesn't (nor should they have to) know these intricacies. OP should have been given proper information about total charges from the start-not at the destination, away from home in a foreign country. That's just not right. I agree that this should be escalated to the point where the additional charges (whether allowed by the rules or not) are refunded for the failure of AA to disclose these (through lack of knowledge and not fraud) at the outset.

Cheers.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hillrider
sfdweller,

It will take you 20 minutes to send out the 4 letters--a huge ROI!
Send a copy of your letter to Chris Elliot at the Chicago Tribune.

Shining a bright light on the roaches can work magic to get what you want when equity is on your side.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Post #13 really clarifies what was left unclear in post #12

Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:12 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
A quick search of AA.com brought up a page about traveling with children and lap children.

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...ling.jsp#Fares

It basically says to contact reservations. It sounds like the OP decided not to contact or inform AA of the lap child at any time prior to showing up at the airport. Why? Perhaps this could have been avoided if the OP had contacted AA prior to checking in, perhaps when the eVIPs were added?

Was AA right to demand payment in Buenos Aires for the return flight? It's questionable in my opinion. The original check-in agent made a mistake in calculating the 10% lap child fare if the eVIPs had already been applied to the economy tickets. If the upgrade occurred after the OP had checked in and paid the lap child fare, then the agent in Buenos Aires was correct to collect the additional fare since the fare class had changed.

If you contact AA and give the details and ask for a refund you might well get it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.