Wiki Posts
Search

Sept 11 Rememberances on AA by staff

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2009, 8:57 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Flew MEM-DFW this morning and the FAs had the First galley decked out in red, white, and blue bandanas and flags. They were playing "Proud to be an American" on a MP3 player with speakers during boarding. They even added red, white, and blue silk flowers to the First lav.

The flight continued onto SMF with the same crew.

Any other unique AA 9/11 rememberances today?

Last edited by HNL; Sep 11, 2009 at 8:58 am
Old Sep 11, 2009, 9:06 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Not flying today, so I won't see any. I think this is most cool, and I hope there are more.

I used to work at rock concerts here in the Bay Area (for like 20 years). I was i guest services, so wore a tie...but it could be whatever I wanted. Post 2001, if we had a show on Sept. 11 (or close) I'd wear a favorite tie with a flag background and the twin towers in the foreground.

Cheers.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL GLD, STARWOOD GLD, HH SLVR, HYATT GLD, GPP SLVR
Since 2002, I fly every September 11th to show those dirty thugs I'm not giving in. However I don't recall any special in-flight proceedings with respect to the date.

This year I actually have a reason to fly. Bellagio suite and 'O' tickets for my anniversary with Ms. Zybysky!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61i)

Flew BA LHR-IST and THY IST-DLM. The BA crew actually did say something about remembering the flight crews. Nothing from the Turkish crew though
Old Sep 11, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by brp
Not flying today, so I won't see any. I think this is most cool, and I hope there are more.
Not flying again until Sunday, but I like the idea of these remembrances.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HNL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Flew MEM-DFW this morning and the FAs had the First galley decked out in red, white, and blue bandanas and flags. They were playing "Proud to be an American" on a MP3 player with speakers during boarding.
I am proud to be an American, but I hate that song with a passion. Glad I wasn't flying today.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:13 pm

Programs: Grounded
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
I am proud to be an American, but I hate that song with a passion. Glad I wasn't flying today.
+1 ^

I appreciate the effort though.

I enjoy flying and personal liberty too much to let 9/11 scare me off from doing anything!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT MM
Originally Posted by HNL
[SIZE=1]..... the FAs had the First galley decked out in red, white, and blue bandanas and flags. .... They even added red, white, and blue silk flowers to the First lav.
I'm just getting this George Patton imagery while the FA stood at the front for the safety briefing

... and while we are on the topic, might as well ... we miss you John S. (friend and WTC victim), you would have hated that song as well.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 4:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This thread is entitled "Sept 11 Rememberances on AA by staff" (sic) and that is, coincidentally, the topic, and is related to flying American Airlines.

Purely personal exchanges, derogatory comments about military, jokes or aspersions about victims of Sep 11 2001 or the AA (or UA) crewmembers who lost colleagues (and often friends) will be summarily deleted. If this thread swerves wildly off topic, it will be closed.

Your topic: use it or lose it. My tolerance: very, very low.

/Moderator

Posting About Tragedies - link to this guideline

FlyerTalk has had its share of tragedies, having lost several members to another world. We continue to celebrate their contributions through posts on FlyerTalk. These matters are always personal and should be treated with respect.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 11, 2009 at 10:11 pm Reason: typoe - thanks, tom911!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Well, I hope you won't mind if I post a link to my thoughts on the day. I was an AA'er on 9/11/01.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 8:14 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyastrojets
Well, I hope you won't mind if I post a link to my thoughts on the day. I was an AA'er on 9/11/01.
Great post MJ, thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by zybysky
Since 2002, I fly every September 11th to show those dirty thugs I'm not giving in. However I don't recall any special in-flight proceedings with respect to the date.

This year I actually have a reason to fly. Bellagio suite and 'O' tickets for my anniversary with Ms. Zybysky!
+1 I fly every 9/11 also.

Today DFW-SAN. Crew all decked out in extra Red, White, and Blue. ^
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Good on ya. I did so for several years. This year, I had to work away form home - far enough to make a longish drive, too close to fly.

I'm all for remembering, and honoring the AA crew and passengers - as well as the other crews and passengers - who were victims of a twisted interpretation of Islam and extremists sent to carry out murder on innocents by cowards.

Some bunting and words on an AA aircraft help us remember, and IMO flying our airline on this day is a way of honoring them and our freedom to travel, not universal by any means.

Originally Posted by Dallas49er
+1 I fly every 9/11 also.

Today DFW-SAN. Crew all decked out in extra Red, White, and Blue. ^
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:37 pm

Like many of us, we all remember 9/11, but nothing like those at AA or UA working that day. That was a great post, especially from someone on the other side of the mirror. Unfortunately I did not fly today, but remembered those who lost their lives unwillingly.
M
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
A family memeber of mine died that day in NYC while I was living in Mexico. I tried to get to NYC as fast as I could but I was not able to until 9/20/01 on AA. Since that day I have decided to NOT to fly on that date. I do not stay home but I try not to fly. I just rather stay on the ground and have an ice cold beer for all the victims. On the other 364 days of the year, however, I love to be at 30,000 feet earning more miles!

Safe travels to all and may the victims RIP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.