Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only 1 First Class MileSAAver Award Available?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum,Hilton Diamond,Hyatt Diamond,WN Companion Pass, AA Plat, Hertz Plat
Only 1 First Class MileSAAver Award Available?

I'm trying to take the Mrs. on a much need vacation to Hawaii. Usually, I plan far in advance, but this time I'm looking at travelling right before Christmas and yes, I realize this is a popular time to go to Hawaii.
I want to fly both of us in First using MileSAAver awards.

When I conduct the search for 2 tickets, practically nothing shows up.

Then I look at flying from LAX to HNL on 12/16/09 and 1 First MileSAAVer tik is available, so I put it on hold and proceed to select my seat and the entire first class section is wide open! Is AA really only allocating 1 First MileSAAver ticket for these flights?

I try the same thing for the return flight from Maui (OGG) to LAX on 12/24/09 and it's the exact same story. When I try for 2 tickets there is no availability. When I change the request to 1 tik, I can book it. I then check for a seat assignment and I'm the only one in first??!!

I called the Gold desk and the agent had no explanation.

I did try a search for this problem in the forum.

Is AA really only allowing 1 Z ticket First Mile SAAver on these flights??

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Yes, you have answered your own question. AA Revenue Management has decided to release only one MileSAAver First seat on that routing. So, if you search for 2, it won't show up.

If you were EXP, you could try asking the EXP Desk to "ping" a request to RM for one additional seat, but as a GLD, it is not gonna happen. And before everyone jumps down your throat, let me politely point out that there is no Gold Desk.

You said it right. You're looking for award availability to a resort destination at peak season. It is entirely reasonable for RM to be very stingy with capacity-controlled award inventory.

You could always buy one of the tickets and upgrade it with miles+copay. Or do one AAnytime award and one MilesAAver. Or go at a different time of year.

Last edited by ESpen36; Sep 7, 2009 at 12:13 pm
Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by ESpen36
[SIZE=1]You could always buy one of the tickets and upgrade it with miles+copay. Or do one AAnytime award and one MilesAAver. Or go at a different time of year.
Yep. That pretty much sums it up.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by onefreetraveler
I'm trying to take the Mrs. on a much need vacation to Hawaii. Usually, I plan far in advance, but this time I'm looking at travelling right before Christmas and yes, I realize this is a popular time to go to Hawaii.
I want to fly both of us in First using MileSAAver awards.

When I conduct the search for 2 tickets, practically nothing shows up.

Then I look at flying from LAX to HNL on 12/16/09 and 1 First MileSAAVer tik is available, so I put it on hold and proceed to select my seat and the entire first class section is wide open! Is AA really only allocating 1 First MileSAAver ticket for these flights?

I try the same thing for the return flight from Maui (OGG) to LAX on 12/24/09 and it's the exact same story. When I try for 2 tickets there is no availability. When I change the request to 1 tik, I can book it. I then check for a seat assignment and I'm the only one in first??!!

explanation? how about: it's right before Christmas and those seats seem like they should be easy to sell

Personally I'm surprised there's even 1 Z seat, at least this far out. If the seats don't sell as fast as the computer expects, more will open up.

Ever since MileSAAver replaced PlanAAhead, there is no fixed commitment for any particular number of saver level seats. All of the allocations are dynamic.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
[QUOTE=ESpen36;12343615]Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

If you were EXP, you could try asking the EXP Desk to "ping" a request to RM for one additional seat, but as a GLD, it is not gonna happen. And before everyone jumps down your throat, let me politely point out that there is no Gold Desk.
QUOTE]

Could you then explain why when I call it says gold desk and the material on AA.com indicates there are gold and plat desks? Obviously, AA thinks they have a gold desk or they wouldn't identify it as such when I call it and am told to enter my advantage number.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by zipadee

Could you then explain why when I call it says gold desk and the material on AA.com indicates there are gold and plat desks? Obviously, AA thinks they have a gold desk or they wouldn't identify it as such when I call it and am told to enter my advantage number.
well, "desk" does mean you get to the front of the calling queue and you get addressed "as if from" a special desk... if it's a slack time for EXP's you might even get an EXP agent covering overflow...
Old Sep 7, 2009, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), HHonors Diamond

Doesn't surprise me in the least. As someone mentioned, it's not hard to sell seats to Hawaii around Xmas, so why should they be generous with the free seats? Not only that, but you are a little late to the game. I am actually traveling with a companion to Maui this month on the nonstop from DFW and I booked our tickets last October (Z class) and at that I had to choose some alternative dates.......at over 300 days out. So being we're only three months from when you want to travel I'm surprised there is even one seat left.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 3:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There is an EXP Desk - actually, more than one, but we won't spend time there (particularly after they closed the BDL / Windsor Locks, CT office.)

There is one other "desk" in this context - with several numbers, including the general number, Gold and Platinum numbers. You get the same agents, the calls are merely prioritized.

AA doesn't think they have a Gold Desk, they merely position the Gold number as such.

Originally Posted by zipadee
Old Sep 7, 2009, 4:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Seat charts merely show which seats have been assigned - some seats may be sold without assignment, and are often so sold, as in the cases of tour groups or cruise bookings. So, seeing unassigned seats doesn't mean the cabin is open, and it certainly doesn't mean the airline is not "betting" (via its RM / YM software) it will sell those seats (for money or full miles, especially at that time of year.)

Others have given you good advice - grab the SAAver seat, and use full miles or money + miles to acquire the other. If you are a true gambler, you can wait to see if another award SAAver seat will be released on the same flight, but you might have better odds playing the tables at 'Vegas on this one.

<snip>

I did try a search for this problem in the forum.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I notice no one has mentioned the Alaska option, though it would involve a Seattle connection. Is there any prohibition on using them for partner awards to Hawaii?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
I notice no one has mentioned the Alaska option, though it would involve a Seattle connection. Is there any prohibition on using them for partner awards to Hawaii?
You can use AS and/or HA to and from Hawaii in combination with AA, inventory permitting. You just can't check that on aa.com. A call is necessary.

I would not maintain any firm expectations, however, about Christmas week availability on the partners...
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
By "in combination with AA" are you saying there has to be a segment in there on AA metal? I was in Victoria last month using Alaska/Horizon, and didn't need an AA segment in there. Is this something unique to Hawaii routes, or am I just reading too much into what you wrote?
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Hey, if the OP takes the 1 saver award and then buys another ticket, he'll be living up to his screen name!

Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
By "in combination with AA" are you saying there has to be a segment in there on AA metal? I was in Victoria last month using Alaska/Horizon, and didn't need an AA segment in there. Is this something unique to Hawaii routes, or am I just reading too much into what you wrote?
I believe he's saying you CAN use AS/HA in combination with AA. Not that you have to.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I believe he's saying you CAN use AS/HA in combination with AA. Not that you have to.
That is right. The All Partner award is mix-and-match carriers as desired, inventory permitting of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.