Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Promo: Double EQM - again! DBLEQ, Sep 2 - Dec 15 2009 (consolidated)

Promo: Double EQM - again! DBLEQ, Sep 2 - Dec 15 2009 (consolidated)

Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:01 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by BrianV
So no one knows whether using a promo coupon will affect this? It says valid on "published fares" so I'm hesitant to use this 15% coupon AA sent me.
During the first double EQM promotion earlier this year, I did use a couple coupons and got the full double EQM with no problems.
Umm, read the details. AA will post all the activity from 9/2 - 12/15 AFTER the promo is over, generally within a few weeks, but AA states 6-8 weeks. Thus, you will not see the credits for this promo until late this year, early next year.
Umm, read the details. It actually says 6-8 weeks after flying. They'll be doing several batches, just like with the other double EQM earlier this year. The last of the double EQM won't post until late this year or early next, but double EQM from flights earlier in the promo should post quicker than that.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG PLT, AMEX PLT
just to clarify, is the consensus that if you fly on let's say 12/14, the double EQM from this flight will count towards 2009 (i.e. post before 12/31)? on the one hand people seem to be speculating that the 6-8 weeks is a maximum, and in practice they will do one last sweep before 12/31 so that everything posts for 2009 - and otoh people are saying that some of it will post early next year. specifically, i am wondering this wrt ELTRW.

so, to repeat: is the expectation that all of the flying i do from now through 12/15 will count double for the purposes of ELTRW?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by bigbootch
so, to repeat: is the expectation that all of the flying i do from now through 12/15 will count double for the purposes of ELTRW?
While it seems like the common sense thing for AA to do, no one has written AA CS for confirmation and posted about it on the boards.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

This question is an excellent one. It will be very confusing to deal with people who reach a new elite level thanks to the double EQM promotion if those EQMs don't post until we are into the 2010 qualification year. How are we supposed to keep track once the counters reset?

Let's hope they do a big "batch" on or about Dec 31, and the last one a week or 10 days later, when the last week of activity has posted. It will suck if people who reach EXP based on DEQM activity flown on Dec 31 have to wait until the middle of Feb to see their status update!
Old Sep 7, 2009, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

And it will be difficult for we 125k-ers to be sure we made it to our 4 extra eVIPs if the counters have reset!

Last edited by ESpen36; Sep 7, 2009 at 12:27 pm
Old Sep 7, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Delta SkyMiles
Umm, read the details. AA will post all the activity from 9/2 - 12/15 AFTER the promo is over, generally within a few weeks, but AA states 6-8 weeks. Thus, you will not see the credits for this promo until late this year, early next year.

I also registered in flight BOS-DFW and am curious whether I'll get credit for that flight, only time will tell...
Yea, I know, I was just mentioning it because I received the NY double miles faster than lightening. Thanx
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:30 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
And regardless of what people say here, it does dilute the program. To say it doesn't is ignorant.
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
I'm just disappointed that there could be a major influx of people into the system next year (again a fact that people here on FT will never know) that will un-naturally swell the top tier.
Really depends upon what you mean by "dilute." Will there be at least one more elite at each level than there would have been if they did not do the promotion? Undoubtedly. If that's all that you mean by dilution, then you are certainly correct. There will be at least one "Lite" member at each level who did not earn it the "hard" way. It sure makes the club less exclusive if they'll let "them" in.

If you are talking about measurable dilution of benefits, that is not so clear. Take this year, for example. They ran the same promotion last year and we had, of course, the Chicken Littles talking about the massive influx and the reduced upgrades. A few have even seen upgrades reduced. One poster competes will all of his/her office for the same flights...and they got EXP via AADER (or DBEQM this year, don't recall). So, it has happened.

But, the majority of people posting here have not noted much change in upgrade percentages, and certainly no reduction in SWU success. So, why is it "ignorant" to assume that the same program this year would produce the same effects? Actually, seems "ignorant" at assume otherwise.

Gravity is empirical, and not proven. If I throw this ball into the air enough times...maybe one time it won't return to earth.

Cheers.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by kremedonut
While it seems like the common sense thing for AA to do, no one has written AA CS for confirmation and posted about it on the boards.
I called AA several days ago to ask this same question (after not getting a definitive response here on the boards). They say it will nominally take 6--8 weeks for the double miles to post, but that it should take sooner and that the miles should count for this year's elite qualification. More importantly, for ELTRW, the January 9 deadline is just to prevent people from calling in April saying they flew but just never thought to check their miles until now and to do some retroactive magic to give them the rewards. The lady told me that ELTRW was designed with DBLEQ in mind and even if you fly on Dec 15, the double miles should post and count towards your count for ELTRW. If it doesn't, call them up and they'll gladly fix it right away, as long as you do it _before_ January 9.

It sounds like the wording for Jan 9 is just there to make their lives easier afterwards and prevent forgetful people from giving them headaches down the road.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by brp
Really depends upon what you mean by "dilute." Will there be at least one more elite at each level than there would have been if they did not do the promotion? Undoubtedly. If that's all that you mean by dilution, then you are certainly correct.
^

Also, the notion of elite dilution doesn't take into account the # of people who have drastically reduced their flying b/c of the economic situation and thus will not requalify for status.

Furthermore, mileage/status runners don't represent the majority of the population. Many people (myself included) do not fly simply to get status/benefits. I fly b/c of my job and if I changed careers tomorrow and did not need to spend several days a month on an airplane, I wouldn't fly simply to maintain EXP status.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:07 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I called AA several days ago to ask this same question (after not getting a definitive response here on the boards). They say it will nominally take 6--8 weeks for the double miles to post, but that it should take sooner and that the miles should count for this year's elite qualification. More importantly, for ELTRW, the January 9 deadline is just to prevent people from calling in April saying they flew but just never thought to check their miles until now and to do some retroactive magic to give them the rewards. The lady told me that ELTRW was designed with DBLEQ in mind and even if you fly on Dec 15, the double miles should post and count towards your count for ELTRW. If it doesn't, call them up and they'll gladly fix it right away, as long as you do it _before_ January 9.
That makes sense and is what I suspected. So everyone should be okay as long as they check their EQM totals before January 9 (probably even before December 31) and contact AA if it doesn't look right.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:07 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin

It sounds like the wording for Jan 9 is just there to make their lives easier afterwards and prevent forgetful people from giving them headaches down the road.

Thanks for posting! I've added a quote of your post to the OP for easy reference.

/Moderator
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT-Pro, Priority Club Plt, Hilton Gold, Hyatt
Love DEQM but my Head Hurts

I've read the rules and it looks like based on my travels by the end of the year I may hit EPLT. Here's what I don't fully understand.

I almost always have to fly STX-SJU to get to and from wherever I'm going.

STX-SJU 94 actual miles which gets me 500. During the DEQM period do I get 688 miles (500 min + 98 actual X2 for DEQM) or 1000 (2 X 500)?

Since they don't post the DEQM from earlier this year online I can't see how it's figured.

Thanks.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
1000. It's just the same as AUS-DFW, which is 183 base miles.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 9:27 am

just wish

EXP would go forward to 2012...already have the next year taken care of and within a couple of weeks will have another 100K...got to love those trips to India.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM); BD *G; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stcroixscuba
I've read the rules and it looks like based on my travels by the end of the year I may hit EPLT. Here's what I don't fully understand.

I almost always have to fly STX-SJU to get to and from wherever I'm going.

STX-SJU 94 actual miles which gets me 500. During the DEQM period do I get 688 miles (500 min + 98 actual X2 for DEQM) or 1000 (2 X 500)?

Since they don't post the DEQM from earlier this year online I can't see how it's figured.

Thanks.
Since you're already elite, you'll get the full 1,000 EQM.

Non-elites would only get 94+94= 188 EQM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.