Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Promo: Double EQM - again! DBLEQ, Sep 2 - Dec 15 2009 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Promo: Double EQM - again! DBLEQ, Sep 2 - Dec 15 2009 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by brenc3
I'm sorry if I've missed it, but where does it clearly say that travel booked prior to registration is eligible? Is it just implicit since the promo only says "members need to register prior to travel"?
and "Just fly on American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection® between September 2, 2009, and December 15, 2009."
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:42 pm
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by photodave
In all likelihood, the numbers of new EXPs because of the DBEQM promotions will be offset by the number not requalifying because the recession means they're not flying.

Don't Panic!
The problem is that the capacity is being constantly reduced, which means that it will still be more difficult to get the upgrades, even if the number of EXPs does not increase much.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Now all we need is a triple RDM offer and a great fare, and we can realy rock and roll!
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:47 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
so tempted to go for the extra VIPs, but alas, not.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
They really want me to take that Thanksgiving vacation to SXM now, do they?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by exitrow
I'm bummed because now I'll have to contend with a lot more EXPs for the upgrades. AA has just diluted the value of the EXP level.
Scroogy McExitrow There are a lot of business flyers like myself that would NOT have reach EXP this year again without the promotion. I seriously doubt that you'll see a trillion more EXPs this year than last year. (After all, they had the promotion last year when the economy was better.)

AA is getting $600 more dollars from me TODAY that they wouldn't have gotten yesterday. If this promotion helps AA stay solvent, good for AA and good ultimately for us who fly AA. Even if this promotion leads to more EXPs, PLATs, and Golds than last year because they had many more flyers this fall and picked up some from DL, CO, and UA, good for AA and good ultimately for us who fly AA.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Now that DFW-MAF r/t will net 2000 EQM! Must......contain......excitement.

The big brand-loyalty game continues. This promotion isn't going to make the non-status leisure traveler suddenly book tickets on AA, nor is it going to make my boss ok that LHR trip, which was nixed due to slashing of the corporate travel budget, just so I can get dblEQM.

What this promotion may do--and, judging by its recurrence, apparently has done before--is increase bookings on AA by way of brand-switching. The guy, or gal, who already has to go to Japan or Chicago may opt for AA over UA or WN, especially if the EQM earned with AA would put them into a higher status level.

As a corollary, travel for the following year may lean toward AA for those folks, as the benefits received by their new status level may drive them to stay loyal to AA...for now.

Does anyone have any idea as to the revenue #'s these promotions actually produce?

Last edited by oneant; Sep 2, 2009 at 1:05 pm
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BAK
The problem is that the capacity is being constantly reduced, which means that it will still be more difficult to get the upgrades, even if the number of EXPs does not increase much.
I'm curious how much more paid premium travel has dropped off proportionately to coach which would offset this to some degree. Even if the total tickets sold drops 10% and capacity is reduced by 10% to match, paid F could have reduced by 15%. (I have no idea about the actual numbers, obviously.)
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SocietyFlyGirl
AA is getting $600 more dollars from me TODAY that they wouldn't have gotten yesterday. If this promotion helps AA stay solvent, good for AA and good ultimately for us who fly AA. Even if this promotion leads to more EXPs, PLATs, and Golds than last year because they had many more flyers this fall and picked up some from DL, CO, and UA, good for AA and good ultimately for us who fly AA.
Excellent point. If AA has decided that this particular promotion is in their long-term interest, then it's not all bad for us, either. I'd rather a little more competition for up front than for AA to go belly up and all of my AAdvantage miles to be worthless (false dichotomy, I know).
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
This is my two cents and I have no emperical evidence. But it would appear to me that if AA is running a second EQM promotion this year and another reward program for hitting mileage targets about the elite level threshold their numbers are telling them that re-requalifications are down. Much of it is probably weaker business travel and to a lesser extent business travelers also not traveling as much on their own. It would seem that AA is attempting to get FFs to stay with AA for the remainder of the year on whatever travel they do. Also, possibly to ward off the growing threat of DL and B6.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Yawn (again).

This silly comment comes up each and every time they do a promotion like this. Seriously- next time you travel go and ask elites if they've even heard of this promotion, much less registered. Even if they have,ask them if it will change their qualification levels. With all the excitement here (mine included) you'd think every AAdvantage member knew about it, but it just ain't so. Relax.

Cheers.
Exactly. I couldn't believe the number of elites I encountered last year and this year who had no idea about those promotions. I think the economy has to be hurting a lot of fliers or obviously AA wouldn't be doing this. As I said before, the economy has hurt me and I'm thrilled with this news.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
This is nice - I just wish it included all AA-coded flights (have a NRT-SIN-NRT trip on AA code coming up).
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:16 pm

Programs: Grounded
Originally Posted by CaptainEasychord
I'm curious how much more paid premium travel has dropped off proportionately to coach which would offset this to some degree. Even if the total tickets sold drops 10% and capacity is reduced by 10% to match, paid F could have reduced by 15%. (I have no idea about the actual numbers, obviously.)
From what I've read, the bottom of the premium fare market fell out this year, while Y tickets have fallen by not as dramatically. Apparently leisure travel is making up some of the difference but not enough.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
All we need now is some $198 R/T upgradeable fares to LHR and we'll be set!
Old Sep 2, 2009, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
I hope this question is not dumb, but I would like to clear something up.

I currently have two trips before 12/15/09. Both are in C and have the routing of JFK/MIA/MEX. I would like to know how many miles/points would I earn due to DBLEQ, ELTRW and the double miles for NYC flights promotion?

Thanks very much...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.