ARCHIVE: Use the lavatory in your ticketed cabin only (merged)

Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, Jetblue
Thumbs up ARCHIVE: Use the lavatory in your ticketed cabin only (merged)

So I was on AA 2 in first class. .There were 4 passengers in first .The purser made an announcement early in flight that we must use the lavatory in our ticketed cabin only. After meal service, a woman from business class came up to first class but was stopped by the purser.

Purser: .can I help u?
Woman: .just need to use the bathroom
Purser: .there is a lavatory behind row 11 for business class passengers
Woman: .yeah but there is a line
Purser: .I am sorry but this lav is for first class passengers only

Woman: .do u know how many miles I fly your airline each year? .I normally fly this route first class

Purser: .sorry but I cannot let u use this lavatory

Woman: .u have no idea that your airline has just lost my businesss. What is the big deal. These people are not even using the lav right now.

I really don't care if non first class passengers use the first class lavatory. .Hey if they need to go they need to go but kudos to the purser for keeping the first class cabin to the first class passenger. .This woman really shows no class. .She just forgot that she wasn't flying first class that particular day. .Or may be she never flew first on transcontinental and just bluffing

========== MODERATOR NOTE =============

For those debating or concerned with the issue, a 30 Oct 2010 post clarifies AA's general policy regarding lavatory use in / out of one's assigned cabin:

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
On Flight operating domestically and on flights departing from the U.S., customers may use the lavatory in any cabin.

On International flights returning to the U.S. from non-U.S. locations, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires airlines to direct customers to use lavatories in their ticketed class of service. This directive applies to the use of lavatories only and is not meant to restrict the movement of passengers between cabins for other reasons (families/coworkers)...

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 31, 2010 at 7:17 pm
Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:40 pm

I like it !!! I may start flying AA again as my primary Airline... I for one
Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^ ^ ^

Great purser. I hope you S.O.S. him/her and/or wrote to www.aa.com/customerrelations as AA does not have an official presence on this board.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:50 pm

Not to be

discusting here but with the surgery I have had (and no it wasn't gastric bypass) when I have to go I have to go or someone will have to clean up after me. I try to use the lav in my own cabin but there are times when it isn't practical....
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well, explaining one's physical need to use the lav is a better and generally more productive tactic than to brush off the old "DYKWIA" suit, even in the guise of "do you know how many miles I fly your airline each year? I normally fly this route first class" combined with "you have no idea that your airline has just lost my business. What is the big deal. These people are not even using the lav right now."

People with such a tilting point are not likely to be happy with any other airline, either.

Originally Posted by llachance
discusting here but with the surgery I have had (and no it wasn't gastric bypass) when I have to go I have to go or someone will have to clean up after me. I try to use the lav in my own cabin but there are times when it isn't practical....
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:04 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
If she had to go, it is not humane to prevent her. I think if the Purser informed her that she couldn't use that lav in the future, but allowed her this time, the situation would have been defused. JMHO.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, Jetblue
Originally Posted by thebat
If she had to go, it is not humane to prevent her. I think if the Purser informed her that she couldn't use that lav in the future, but allowed her this time, the situation would have been defused. JMHO.
I agree it could have been handled differently. But she did not seem to Be in need of using the lav. If she did she would have said, "I need to go iam going to explod" instead of "do u know how many miles I fly w your airlines? I fly first class normally on this route"
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP 14M, UA-1K, AS-MVP Gold, DL-PL, CO-PL, EK-Gold, BA-Gold, HH-D, SPG-PL
Smile

Originally Posted by JDiver
Well, explaining one's physical need to use the lav is a better and generally more productive tactic than to brush off the old "DYKWIA" suit, even in the guise of "do you know how many miles I fly your airline each year? I normally fly this route first class" combined with "you have no idea that your airline has just lost my business. What is the big deal. These people are not even using the lav right now."

People with such a tilting point are not likely to be happy with any other airline, either.
That policy is only in effect for the FIRST CLASS section on NYC/LAX/SFO - 3 class transcon and all 3 class international flights. On all other flights passengers are permitted to use any lavatory.

I've flown First many times JFK/LAX/JFK. Passengers would come from coach, past through business class trying to get a picture or disturb my celebrity/entertainer/athlete clients traveling in First.

That policy is written into our contract.

Last edited by TigerWould; Sep 1, 2009 at 5:49 pm
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61i)

Originally Posted by pvtwong
Originally Posted by thebat
I agree it could have been handled differently. But she did not seem to Be in need of using the lav. If she did she would have said, "I need to go iam going to explod" instead of "do u know how many miles I fly w your airlines? I fly first class normally on this route"
......and then at least she could of spent the rest of the flight in F, albeit tied up on the floor of the galley. I think using the word Explode' on a widebody flight is even worse than DYKWIA, although probably much more entertaining for other PAX.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP 14M, UA-1K, AS-MVP Gold, DL-PL, CO-PL, EK-Gold, BA-Gold, HH-D, SPG-PL
Smile

I feel coach passengers should be prohibited from using the first class bathrooms while the flight attendants are serving meals, on non 3 class flights.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:33 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
What does "DYKWIA" mean?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I applaud the AA person for that. As noted, it was not an "emergency". She lost my sympathy by playing the DYKWIA card. Yep, we know she was. She was someone who didn't have a first class seat. Given the flight only had 4 people in first class, she chose this.

Programs: AA EXP-2MM, AC
Without taking sides, I thought that the official policy allowed lavatory class crossing - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/7316270-post93.html.

Has the official policy changed?
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Smile

Originally Posted by yul2005
without taking sides, i thought that the official policy allowed lavatory class crossing - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/7316270-post93.html.

Has the official policy changed?
see post #8
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm channeling a Seinfeld episode...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.