Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade with cabin pet?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2009, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA gold MM, HH gold, SPG gold,
Upgrade with cabin pet?

Tried search here and on pet thread, to no avail....Just got a new dog, who is cabin-travel sized. I'm gold, and customarily request upgrades on my domestic flights... What happens to my upgrade request when the dog has a coach reservation, and I get upgraded to business...will the two pets in forward cabin rule prevail, and what if we are #3? I tried asking a CSR, but she wasn't too sure...
Old Aug 25, 2009, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I'm pretty sure that the limits on number of pets per cabin would still apply. The question really is, are the AA systems smart enough to block your upgrade, or might you get downgraded at the gate, having lost your chosen Y seat, landing into 31E or something like that.

I do know that if you have a pet noted on your reservation, you are prevented from using OLCI, for example.

It's relatively rare to see any pets in the front cabin (IME), so I maybe wouldn't be as worried about that as I would be about seat assignment - GLD upgrades are the last to clear, which means there's a good chance you may end up in the bulkhead (where pets are not allowed), with no other seats open.

Last edited by swag; Aug 25, 2009 at 5:03 pm
Old Aug 25, 2009, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
I'm pretty sure I've seen carry-on sized pet carriers with live pets in first class before, not 100% but I seem to recall a couple times.

I did see a lady moved from 31B bulkhead on a MD80 to 13A because you can't be in a bulkhead with a pet. Watch out for the first row of 1st then (often the least desirable seats). If you clear and only get the first row, they will be forced to move you. If that's the case, you better hope someone else in F is real nice. I'd really struggle to switch from a non-bulk to a bulkhead seat and I'm generally really considerate about swapping seats. I am however, a dog lover so I bet I'd do it without much hesitation.

Good luck.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by swag
I'm pretty sure that the limits on number of pets per cabin would still apply. The question really is, are the AA systems smart enough to block your upgrade, or might you get downgraded at the gate, having lost your chosen Y seat, landing into 31E or something like that.

I do know that if you have a pet noted on your reservation, you are prevented from using OLCI, for example.

It's relatively rare to see any pets in the front cabin (IME), so I maybe wouldn't be as worried about that as I would be about seat assignment - GLD upgrades are the last to clear, which means there's a good chance you may end up in the bulkhead (where pets are not allowed), with no other seats open.
My cat travels in F w/me several times a year (and apologies to anyone on his June SFO-BOS redeye when he yowled the entire flight). I can state w/certainty the pet per cabin rule is enforced and in the event there are already the max # of pets in the F cabin, the OP will not allowed to bring a 3d animal into the cabin.

To the OP: If you want to fly in F w/the pet - then use miles to upgrade the flight, otherwise - forget about the upgrade, choose a seat in Y appropriate for you and your little buddy and save the stickers for another non-pet trip.

Last edited by bdemaria; Aug 26, 2009 at 3:37 am
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Put little Phydeaux in an appropriately sized box, punch a couple of vent holes in it, and drop him off at Fedex/Kinkos. Absolutely, positively guaranteed he will be there by 10 A.M. the next day.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
If only they promised oxygen as part of their delivery package...
Old Aug 26, 2009, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by belleNY
Tried search here and on pet thread, to no avail....Just got a new dog, who is cabin-travel sized. I'm gold, and customarily request upgrades on my domestic flights... What happens to my upgrade request when the dog has a coach reservation, and I get upgraded to business...will the two pets in forward cabin rule prevail, and what if we are #3? I tried asking a CSR, but she wasn't too sure...
You will not get an upgrade with a pet now.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by BrianV
I'm pretty sure I've seen carry-on sized pet carriers with live pets in first class before, not 100% but I seem to recall a couple times.

I did see a lady moved from 31B bulkhead on a MD80 to 13A because you can't be in a bulkhead with a pet. Watch out for the first row of 1st then (often the least desirable seats). If you clear and only get the first row, they will be forced to move you. If that's the case, you better hope someone else in F is real nice. I'd really struggle to switch from a non-bulk to a bulkhead seat and I'm generally really considerate about swapping seats. I am however, a dog lover so I bet I'd do it without much hesitation.

Good luck.

if ur ever in the bulkhead and want to switch seats, i'll switch with ya. I can live with the reduced legroom (anything above 32" is gravy to me), I just HATE having someone recline into me, since I prefer the window seat and would like to be able to get out of my seat without annoying my seat mate too much and still want the view out the window. I'm actually a huge bulkhead fan, whether it's F, J or Y, I want bulkhead seats, never have to deal with anyone reclining into my space and not to mention, easy to access aisle from window...of course, i would really like the single window seats they have in F.

now for the most legroom on the M80s, the seat you will want is 7D. How much more legroom could you want? And sitting in row 7, we once had a really cool FA who after serving FC the mints, decided to go give a few to the first couple rows in coach! and the captain on that particular flight also seemed to have a good time, so it was a great flight.

Last edited by bniu; Aug 27, 2009 at 11:10 pm
Old Aug 28, 2009, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I think the 763 is probably the only 2 class first class cabin I don't mine being in the first row in.
Still, no underseat storage for takeoff and landing, even though there is room.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 2:25 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
There was a guy on the LAX-MIA 777 in BIZ with a dog on his lap last weekend. It actually attracted kids from Y into the middle cabin.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
There was a guy on the LAX-MIA 777 in BIZ with a dog on his lap last weekend. It actually attracted kids from Y into the middle cabin.
Did he take the dog out of the carrier?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:05 am

Doesn't the Pet In Cabin have its own ticket?? In that case you might get the upgrade but the puppy wouldn't.

Seems like on a connected PNR (pax + pet) would probably negate an upgrade.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Did he take the dog out of the carrier?
Yes. I do not even think he had a carrier. He sat in a middle seat in J with the dog on his lap. It was not the typical service type dog, but I guess one could not rule that out of the equation.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Yes. I do not even think he had a carrier. He sat in a middle seat in J with the dog on his lap. It was not the typical service type dog, but I guess one could not rule that out of the equation.
Some people with very bad blood circulation have lap dogs to help keep their legs warm. I can see a dog being particularly useful on a cold plane where other methods of warming the extremities aren't available.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 6:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by swag
It's relatively rare to see any pets in the front cabin (IME)
You must not fly from MIA that often. I've even seen pet pigs in first. MIA-LGA probably carries more pets than any other AA route, that's just based on my observations though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.