US or Foreign Address on AAdvantage Account

Old Aug 25, 09, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
US or Foreign Address on AAdvantage Account

I'm moving to Germany soon and will have both a US (APO) address as well as a German street address. I may earn my 1 millionth mile while living in Germany and know that if I do have a foreign address when that happens, I will get 4 VIPs instead of 8 domestic upgrades.

Are there any other pros and cons I should be thinking about when it comes down to deciding which address to give AA?

Thanks

-z
Old Aug 25, 09, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Will your address be changing back to the US shortly after you hit the 1MM? If so, then AA may well take back the 4 SWUs (certainly they have done so in the past).
Old Aug 25, 09, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Some aadvantage bonus miles offers are restricted based on US or North American residency.
Old Aug 25, 09, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Unfortunately I won't have that issue (1MM) while on my German assignment.

I use my APO and that allows me to take advantage of fun events like the BOS3X extravaganza last spring.
Old Aug 27, 09, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
At this point I have about 600K lifetime miles and will be in Europe for 3 years. I will very likely fly to the US 4x/yr (between 20 and 25K miles per trip with PLT bonus), which would take me to about 900K miles. If I pushed it, I might end up with 1,000,000 miles by the time I left Germany -- but it looks like I'll have plenty of time to change my address if I am getting close.

I was not aware that some bonus offers are targeted to those of us with US addresses. Have there been any are targeted towards European addresses?
Old Aug 27, 09, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by zski1 View Post
I was not aware that some bonus offers are targeted to those of us with US addresses. Have there been any are targeted towards European addresses?
Very few by comparison, the number of times I've been annoyed to see a good offer that I couldn't use due to not having a USA address far exceed the few times I've benefited from having a non-US address.
Old Aug 27, 09, 7:21 pm

Programs: QF WP - AA GLD 1MM - CX Grn
The only time I really will care about the address is when my lifetime total exceeds about 950K miles..... Alas I am only a bit more than half way and retirement looms large - with less $$ for flying.

Having a US address is useful - except when you need to get your new cards..... But I haven't seen anything like the 2005 (or 06) OW promo in quite a while.

And apparently AA is not as paranoid about address changes as - for example - BA.

Fred
Old Aug 28, 09, 11:20 am

Programs: AA-PLT/2.37MM (PTD), HHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by Gamecock View Post
I use my APO and that allows me to take advantage of fun events like the BOS3X extravaganza last spring.
I used my German address prior to hitting the 1MM mark, got the four SWUs, and kept the local address instead of using my APO address.

As Mark_T noted, I've yet to receive any of the special offers, surveys, etc., that I've seen discussed on FT -- and I suspect that it's entirely due to the use of the foreign address. (However, I believe there was a discussion somewhat recently about an offer received by UK-based members.)

Renewal cards for AAdvantage and the Admirals Club seem to arrive rather quickly at the German address, and the FRA AC did send a very nice invitation auf Deutsch to their 20th anniversary celebration earlier this summer.

Enjoy your tour in Germany -- but make it a point to get away from base and explore the country as much as possible. I found volksmarching was a great way to see parts of Germany you wouldn't otherwise have seen from the autobahn or train.

Alka
Old Jun 6, 10, 6:51 pm

Programs: Sarah Kirschbaum
are there any special benefits for moving my mailing address to Japan?

in the next year or two, I'll be spending a lot of time in Japan...(again... )

the last time this happened to me, I was a NW elite member and there were
many special perks that were only available for members who resided in
Japan(or have a Japanses mailing address) but that was NW....

AA has very limited routes between Japan and the US... if I move my acct
mailing address to Japan, are there any special benefits?

thanks!
Old Jun 6, 10, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by greenbears View Post
if I move my acct
Do you expect to reach 1 MM while you're there? If so, you could receive four SWUs instead of eight 500-mile upgrade stickers when you reach lifetime gold.

Other than that, except for the possibility of mileage promotions that may be offered only from that area, I don't know of any AAdvantages to changing unless it's easier to get snail mail there.
Old Jun 6, 10, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD (bitter fmr EXP), SPG Gold, HH Gold, UA Plastic
There are promotions that have residency requirements but usually they favor US residents. There is still an online booking bonus for residents of some countries, but I don't believe Japan is one of them.

The only thing I can think of is that you would receive 4 eVIPs/SWUs for crossing one million lifetime program miles. US residents only get 8 stickers/electronic upgrades at the first million mark.
Old Jun 7, 10, 1:59 am

...if I move my acct
Originally Posted by videomaker View Post
...Other than that, ... I don't know of any AAdvantages to changing unless it's easier to get snail mail there.
One change that you might not be comfortable with is that your AAdvantage communications will likely change to Japanese. When I changed my address to France, I got a French-language "welcome to your new address" card in the mail and my eStatements and other email newsletters became French. This may be a problem if your Japanese isn't great.

Peace.
Old Jun 7, 10, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by imagineertobe View Post
One change that you might not be comfortable with is that your AAdvantage communications will likely change to Japanese. When I changed my address to France, I got a French-language "welcome to your new address" card in the mail and my eStatements and other email newsletters became French. This may be a problem if your Japanese isn't great.

Peace.
but Ameican Airlines is an American airline! I can't be the only American
living in Japan who is also an American Airlines customer, right? There
are over 200,000 U.S. citizens living in Japan from what I heard.... there's
gotta be a couple of AA customers among them! I'm sure all the material
sent via mail or online must be written in American. (I meant in English)
Old Jun 7, 10, 2:53 am

but Ameican Airlines is an American airline! I can't be the only American
living in Japan who is also an American Airlines customer, right? There
are over 200,000 U.S. citizens living in Japan from what I heard.... there's
gotta be a couple of AA customers among them! I'm sure all the material
sent via mail or online must be written in American. (I meant in English)
I sense your sarcasm. For the benefit of the general audience, I'll insert some of my expertise as a policy linguist:

The US Constitution guarantees no linguistic rights to American citizens or those living in the US. While this means that no one has a right to speak Spanish in the US, it also equally means that no one has the right to speak English in the US either. Because of the historical ties to Britain the US has had, it is a de facto English-speaking state, but the Constitution provides for no direction on whether the US should continue this direction, or move toward a bilingual/multilingual or even, dare I say it, a monolingual non-English model (Spanish, Chinese, Zulu, take your pick)!

Peace.
Old Jun 7, 10, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by imagineertobe View Post
I sense your sarcasm. For the benefit of the general audience, I'll insert some of my expertise as a policy linguist:

The US Constitution guarantees no linguistic rights to American citizens or those living in the US. While this means that no one has a right to speak Spanish in the US, it also equally means that no one has the right to speak English in the US either. Because of the historical ties to Britain the US has had, it is a de facto English-speaking state, but the Constitution provides for no direction on whether the US should continue this direction, or move toward a bilingual/multilingual or even, dare I say it, a monolingual non-English model (Spanish, Chinese, Zulu, take your pick)!

Peace.

I'm in favor of adopting Klingon as the official language
of the United States of America.

(was going to say "Peace" in Klingon, but that word
doesn't exist in the Klingon language. So... I'll
instead say "Live Long and Prosper)

Search this Thread