How many folks get the EXP trifecta?

Old Aug 20, 09, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
How many folks get the EXP trifecta?

I was curious this morning to know how many folks out there achieve the unholy trinity of:

>= 100K EQP && >= 100K EQM && >= 100 segments

and if so when ....

I am targetting the completion of this goal within the next 2-3 weeks (EQP is the laggard in my list ... )

+-ADT
Old Aug 20, 09, 2:16 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by tegelad View Post

I am targetting the completion of this goal within the next 2-3 weeks (EQP is the laggard in my list ... )

+-ADT
My condolences

Our goal is to maximize EQM while minimizing EQP and EQS. We generally do a pretty good job of that. So far

87K EQM
60K EQP (and it seems I've received a great many extra. My records show 46K EQP)
40 EQS

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Aug 20, 09 at 2:27 pm
Old Aug 20, 09, 2:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Let me add my condolences also.

At the track when one wins the trifecta you receive a multiple of the 3 races as your winnings.
Old Aug 20, 09, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Some goals are best unmet.
Old Aug 20, 09, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
793. Approximately.
Old Aug 20, 09, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Hmmm... slow news day I guess.

I'm with other posters, unfortunately, I don't in any way see this as a "trifecta" (which seems to imply it's a good thing) but rather punishment.

I attempt to achieve EXP for the absolute lowest possible cost. But that is just me...

Regards
Old Aug 20, 09, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
Wow. Brutal. You really should get some kind of bonus from AA, maybe your name in bronze on the back of your favorite seat? If there were ever a qualification for lifetime EXP, a couple years of that kind of travel should be enough...
Old Aug 20, 09, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by magic111 View Post
At the track when one wins the trifecta you receive a multiple of the 3 races as your winnings.
Yeah, too bad OP won't be getting triple VIPs, though. I agree, brutal.
Old Aug 20, 09, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Last year I set out with the aim of qualifying on segments, since historically my BIS miles were far less than 100k and I hadn't discovered FT or the concept of the Mileage Run. I hit 100 segments in early November 2008 and ended the year with 110,000 EQMs and (I think) about 90,000 EQPs, so I came pretty close.

By the time I return from the UK after my Labor Day weekend trip, I'll have 80,000 EQMs, 55,000 EQPs and 53 segments. The DEQM promotion only gave me about 10,000 additional miles since my travel in the first half of the year was substantially reduced. I was very fortunate to have a couple of business trips to Europe in the early part of the year. My remaining business travel for the last quarter should take me over 100K quite easily. If not, then I'll probably head back to the UK for Christmas (in Y though because I just burned my last two EVIPs).

I hope I never have to qualify with segments ever again...
Old Aug 20, 09, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
Thanks for the love guys/gals .... I keep thinking of the Lost In Space comment ... "oh the pain ... oh the pain ...."

and just to add even more color to my fun flying year ... I started with zero status on Jan 1 and had to do LLF +<$250 on all of my legs ...

I will get my segments on August 28th ... and presuming I get 500 EQP for my legs of IND<>ORD<>RST and the full 2006 EQP for my fun SJC<>ORD<>IND ... the EQP will hit somewhere alongside 9/7 ....
Old Aug 20, 09, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
When yesterday's LAX-BOS posts, thanks to DBEQM I will be EXP on just 27 segments. I do not mind missing the trifecta.
Old Aug 20, 09, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by tegelad View Post

+-ADT
You are targeting this? Are you also paying rack rate and sitting the last row of coach?
Old Aug 20, 09, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

(thumper) ... Heck no I wouldn't wish this on my enemy .....

The curse of LLF is due to corporate policy and alot of engineering work based on the west coast for me; however, I am thankful/grateful to be employed and working for a solid dot-com during times like this .....

also I am glad I found flyertalk in March of this year and the information about the platinum challenge (took ~4 weeks to get that handled) also (you guys are awesome) ....

It was funny getting a gold card one week, the platinum for 2010 two weeks later ... and then 1 month later getting the platinum for 2011 ... and DBEQM .... thank god for that ... I cranked ~40K miles on that to get me the EXP.

Come End of Feburary ... I felt like I pissed off a travel god ... come end of April (even with platinum ... (upgrade rates out of SJC was only 20-30%) I felt cursed ... and only in June when I hit EXP .... did I feel somewhat better .... though even with EXP due to AA cutbacks ... some of my legs are upgraded last minute ....

+-ADT
Old Aug 20, 09, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA LTPlat; UA Plat; MR LTT; HH Diamond
I thought I was doing well staying away from the trifecta, but I just checked Mr. Ord Liza's stats.

Mine:
YTD Elite Qualifying Points 49,284
YTD Elite Qualifying Miles 111,741
YTD Elite Qualifying Segments 36

His:
YTD Elite Qualifying Points 36,529
YTD Elite Qualifying Miles 105,196
YTD Elite Qualifying Segments 36

I guess, having planned most of his flights and being part of the same family financial unit, I can feel as good about his as he can!

Just noticed, 36 segments each and my 36th post. I'm going to buy a lottery ticket!

Last edited by Ord Liza; Aug 20, 09 at 3:58 pm Reason: 36
Old Aug 20, 09, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My Father did in 2006 and 2007. He was commuting weekly from NYC to RDU and still threw in some LAS/LAX/PHX/LHR trips. He ended up with something like 140 Segments, 118K miles and 101K points.

Search this Thread