FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   BA award availability (AA award reservation) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/986046-ba-award-availability-aa-award-reservation.html)

zybysky Aug 17, 2009 4:51 pm

BA award availability (AA award reservation)

I've been trying to make an award reservation for a few months now, Miles SAAver Coach, for myself and a friend.

March 31 SAN-LAX-LHR-AMS is wide open, except for the LHR-AMS leg on BA. I'm not quite sure if BA availability is that sparse, or if BA doesn't open up award seats until further in the future. Can anybody lend me some knowledge?

I already tried joining BA Executive to see award availability - they're showing 3 flights open, but when I call AA for the reservation they say no dice. I'm about ready to just pay for a LHR-AMS flight on top of the award.

My inbound flight out of CDG on the 18th is down to one available flight, so figured I'd better make a decision now rather than lose that one in the waiting game.

Thanks all.

LRD Aug 17, 2009 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by zybysky (Post 12240099)
I already tried joining BA Executive to see award availability - they're showing 3 flights open...

Your eyes are better than mine; I see no LHR-AMS availability on 01APR.

Ready2Go Aug 17, 2009 7:21 pm

I see three flights from London City Airport (LCY), but none from LHR.

zybysky Aug 17, 2009 8:00 pm

Aye carumba, yes, I see now I was looking at LCY and not LHR.

So I guess I'm just going to have to figure out how to get to Amsterdam without the help of my frequent flier miles.

Thanks.

JIMCHI Aug 17, 2009 9:06 pm

Be patient. I had the same problem trying to fly this past June from LHR-PRG. There were plenty of seats several days before and several days after but not on my date. Then about November tons of award seats opened up. It doesn't cost any more miles to book an award to AMS vs. just London. So go ahead and book your space, add an LHR-AMS flight a few days later and then check award availability in a couple of months and make the change. It's harder to add a final destination later. Just make sure you book one way awards so that your return space doesn't somehow get canceled if you never use the LHR-AMS space.

StrandedinSC Aug 17, 2009 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by zybysky (Post 12240971)
Aye carumba, yes, I see now I was looking at LCY and not LHR.

So I guess I'm just going to have to figure out how to get to Amsterdam without the help of my frequent flier miles.

Thanks.

What am I missing? Have AA specifically look at LCY. Most agents will check LGW, and STN if they think about it (AA used to fly there), but not LCY.

It's not THAT difficult of a connection if you have 4 hours or so.

zybysky Aug 18, 2009 11:46 am

Originally Posted by StrandedinSC (Post 12241475)
What am I missing? Have AA specifically look at LCY. Most agents will check LGW, and STN if they think about it (AA used to fly there), but not LCY.

It's not THAT difficult of a connection if you have 4 hours or so.

That's an interesting suggestion - and I could get in a half day of London sightseeing while I'm at it. Looks like the train heads right into LCY also, which is a bonus!

ktakahashi Aug 18, 2009 11:55 am

LCY is indeed an good option - plus you can literally show up 45 minutes before departure and still make your flight (not suggesting you do that by the way).

Your other option is to fly into BRU and take the train up to either Centraal or Schiphol (depending where you are going). I've done it the other way plenty of times (meetings in AMS, train to BRU, flight out the next morning). You can even manage a decent sightseeing tour of Brussels fairly easily as the central station is in the heart of downtown.

Enjoy the cafes with your friend!

zybysky Aug 18, 2009 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by ktakahashi (Post 12244216)
LCY is indeed an good option - plus you can literally show up 45 minutes before departure and still make your flight (not suggesting you do that by the way).

Your other option is to fly into BRU and take the train up to either Centraal or Schiphol (depending where you are going). I've done it the other way plenty of times (meetings in AMS, train to BRU, flight out the next morning). You can even manage a decent sightseeing tour of Brussels fairly easily as the central station is in the heart of downtown.

Enjoy the cafes with your friend!

I also never considered Brussels - looks like Rotterdam is also a codeshare city. Thanks for the input as far as options to consider! This is my second time going over there, but last time I had yet to defect from NW so flights into AMS were ridiculously easy to come by.

hauteboy Aug 18, 2009 3:55 pm

Not seeing any availability on the QF site either..
I do see availability via ORD/MAD arriving on April 2nd.

LRD Aug 18, 2009 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by hauteboy (Post 12245619)
I do see availability via ORD/MAD arriving on April 2nd.

Presumably, you mean on IB... but, what about the issue of booking IB segments under the new AA o/w award scheme?

zybysky Aug 19, 2009 1:34 pm

Just a quick thank you to everyone that provided advice in response to my post. Wouldn't you know it - after 2 months of trying to find LHR-AMS availability on BA, a few flights opened up this morning. I'm booked and ready to go!

ktakahashi Aug 19, 2009 1:55 pm

Z, congratulations on scoring the LHR-AMS route! Enjoy the Galleries lounge in T-5!

Thanks for the update.

zybysky Aug 19, 2009 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by ktakahashi (Post 12250510)
Z, congratulations on scoring the LHR-AMS route! Enjoy the Galleries lounge in T-5!

Thanks for the update.

I'm assuming my BA flight will depart from T-5 given this statement. I'll be Emerald when I make this journey, so while I'm there three hours I'll be sure to peruse as many lounges as I can.

photodave Aug 19, 2009 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by zybysky (Post 12251182)
I'm assuming my BA flight will depart from T-5 given this statement. I'll be Emerald when I make this journey, so while I'm there three hours I'll be sure to peruse as many lounges as I can.

It should indeed depart from T5, typically from a gate towards the south end of the terminal a very short walk from the BA Galleries First lounge. My advice is stick to Galleries First, it's much nicer than the other Galleries Lounges (there's one at the north end, and one at the south). Make sure you have your card denoting Emerald status as the BA lounge dragons can be sticklers for confirming eligibility. If you have time, freshen up and take a shower at the Elemis Spa between Galleries First and the Concorde Room (you won't be allowed in the CCR, it's for BA FIRST passengers only). Be aware that transfer from T3 can take a chunk out of your layover so don't waste time, the champagne will be waiting.