FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Going to use A/C's in BOS, LAX, HNL and DFW. What to expect? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/985838-going-use-cs-bos-lax-hnl-dfw-what-expect.html)

Bishope2 Aug 17, 2009 7:37 am

Going to use A/C's in BOS, LAX, HNL and DFW. What to expect?

Tried to do an adequate search but nothing came up for what I was looking for. We fly out of BOS at 5 pm, LAX at 8:30 am, HNL at 4:45 pm and DFW at 6:40 am. I have yet had the privilage to use the AA A/C's system wide. What should we expect in reference to: crowds for that time of day, beverages, food products, etc. I know there is a chart, but I like first hand info better.

It gets confusing reading post after post about clubs and who offer's what for free, pay for, etc If I recall, the HNL A/C is also used by Quantus. If so, can we still gain access before our flight.

zman Aug 17, 2009 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Bishope2 (Post 12237398)
Tried to do an adequate search but nothing came up for what I was looking for. We fly out of BOS at 5 pm, LAX at 8:30 am, HNL at 4:45 pm and DFW at 6:40 am. I have yet had the privilage to use the AA A/C's system wide. What should we expect in reference to: crowds for that time of day, beverages, food products, etc. I know there is a chart, but I like first hand info better.

It gets confusing reading post after post about clubs and who offer's what for free, pay for, etc If I recall, the HNL A/C is also used by Quantus. If so, can we still gain access before our flight.

The only issue is the BOS club is being re-furbished so it is only 1/2 size. So it can be very crowded and warm.

bdemaria Aug 17, 2009 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Bishope2 (Post 12237398)

You may use the HNL AC regardless of the status of the Qantas flight

At all ACs:

Free: sodas, non alcoholic beverages, light snacks (i.e., crackers, cheese, cookies), desk top computers
Pay: alcoholic beverages, sandwiches, salads, etc..; wifi (depending on your manner of access)

Paint Horse Aug 17, 2009 8:52 am

I would only add to what bdemaria said that they are generally large enough that there is room to spread out so they do not feel crowded. At least the ones I have been in are so, such as DFW.

JDiver Aug 17, 2009 10:16 am

BOS is likely to be crowded, HNL is a Qantas Club (admitting AA pax) until the departure of the QF flight to Sydney (after which a mad scurry occurs where the goodies are stashed away and it becomes a skinflinty Admirals Club.) The HNL AC is also a bit distant from the AA gates - you will have some walking to do.

LAX has showers if you have time between flights, and is very close to the gates. DFW has several clubs - if you have time and want a shower on your return from the HNL redeye, shoot for Terminal A and the rain showers there, usually easy to access (A used to be the international terminal and is often much less crowded; now D is international, with the newest Club at DFW - showers too, but can have queues.)

Most Clubs have a selection of "adult" and non-adult beverages and a menu of "Amora" food items available for sale, and not much for free other than pretzels or pretzel mix, possibly apples, occasionally cookies / biscuits, mini-muffins or the like, tea, coffee, water, maybe juice.

CO FF Aug 17, 2009 10:29 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 12238170)
BOS is likely to be crowded, HNL is a Qantas Club (admitting AA pax) until the departure of the QF flight to Sydney (after which a mad scurry occurs where the goodies are stashed away and it becomes a skinflinty Admirals Club.) The HNL AC is also a bit distant from the AA gates - you will have some walking to do.

LAX has showers if you have time between flights, and is very close to the gates. DFW has several clubs - if you have time and want a shower on your return from the HNL redeye, shoot for Terminal A and the rain showers there, usually easy to access (A used to be the international terminal and is often much less crowded; now D is international, with the newest Club at DFW - showers too, but can have queues.)

Most Clubs have a selection of "adult" and non-adult beverages and a menu of "Amora" food items available for sale, and not much for free other than pretzels or pretzel mix, possibly apples, occasionally cookies / biscuits, mini-muffins or the like, tea, coffee, water, maybe juice.

The rainforest showerheads @ DFW-A are amazing. Far better than whatever shower you have at home, I'll bet. If you're coming off the redeye from HNL, it's DEFINITELY worth the stop.

gemac Aug 17, 2009 10:30 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 12237591)
You may use the HNL AC regardless of the status of the Qantas flight

Well, it depends on how you qualify for access. If you get access through Amex Platinum card, you won't get in during Qantas hours. If your access is via AC membership, no problem (but bring your AC card, the Qantas staff mans the desk in the morning and can't look up your AC membership on AA's computers).

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 12237591)
Free: sodas, non alcoholic beverages, light snacks (i.e., crackers, cheese, cookies), desk top computers
Pay: alcoholic beverages, sandwiches, salads, etc..; wifi (depending on your manner of access)

True, but some non-alcoholic beverages are pay items (non-alcoholic beers and bottled water, some juices, IIRC).

exitrow Aug 17, 2009 2:02 pm

The HNL AC switches to an AA club from Qantas mid day so you should have no problem.
The AC is about a 10 minute walk from AA's gates.

ESpen36 Aug 17, 2009 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by exitrow (Post 12239247)
The HNL AC switches to an AA club from Qantas mid day so you should have no problem.
The AC is about a 10 minute walk from AA's gates.

It's worth the walk. :)

IMHO, the HNL club has the second-best AAngels in the system (after AUS, of course)! See Diane at the front desk after 3pm. She's wonderful and frequently goes out of her way to help!

Food/drink options are expanded significantly during Qantas hours. And service options continue to be significantly above normal domestic AC service during AC hours (free fruit cups, yoghurt, soups, free wine/beer on request, etc).

HNL is a wonderful club! (And don't sweat the walk--remember, any AA flight on which you would be departing from HNL is a minimum of 4-5 hours--you could use the exercise!) This club really needs to improve foot traffic in the post-Qantas hours, so please keep visiting and swiping!

LAXjoe Aug 17, 2009 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 12239380)
It's worth the walk. :)

IMHO, the HNL club has the second-best AAngels in the system (after AUS, of course)! See Diane at the front desk after 3pm. She's wonderful and frequently goes out of her way to help!

Food/drink options are expanded significantly during Qantas hours. And service options continue to be significantly above normal domestic AC service during AC hours (free fruit cups, yoghurt, soups, free wine/beer on request, etc).

HNL is a wonderful club! (And don't sweat the walk--remember, any AA flight on which you would be departing from HNL is a minimum of 4-5 hours--you could use the exercise!) This club really needs to improve foot traffic in the post-Qantas hours, so please keep visiting and swiping!

I was at the HNL AC/Qantas Club about a month ago -- At the time it was under renovation, small, and something of a dump. No Amora and not worth the trek, IMO.

tom911 Aug 17, 2009 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by LAXjoe (Post 12240047)
I was at the HNL AC/Qantas Club about a month ago -- At the time it was under renovation, small, and something of a dump. No Amora and not worth the trek, IMO.

What were they renovating? New furniture? Floor plan? I won't be back until November to check myself. I wouldn't call it a dump based on my previous visits. Always enjoy talking with the staff there, particularly when I was there on the way to the Olympics last year. Always plenty of room when waiting for AA flights (or JAL, also). Maybe you can look at the PHOTOS I took here and tell me what's changed.

TheDudeAbides Aug 17, 2009 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by LAXjoe (Post 12240047)
I was at the HNL AC/Qantas Club about a month ago -- At the time it was under renovation, small, and something of a dump.

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 12240594)
What were they renovating? New furniture? Floor plan? I won't be back until November to check myself. I wouldn't call it a dump based on my previous visits. Always enjoy talking with the staff there, particularly when I was there on the way to the Olympics last year. Always plenty of room when waiting for AA flights (or JAL, also)

I was there in early July and then again in mid-July. There was pretty serious construction going on all around the club and it was very noisy on both occasions.

I'm not sure of the extent of the renovations and whether it was the club or the surrounding airport (or both) that was being renovated. It looked to me like the construction was occurring outside the club (not to the club itself). IMO, the club was not a dump at all and I think it's better than most domestic clubs. The construction was not a problem other than the noise and vibrations. The AC did have new furniture delivered to the front part of the club while I was there on July 14. The HNL AC basically looks the same as it did when you photographed it last summer Tom. Staff was great, as usual.

timetogo Aug 18, 2009 1:07 pm

The renovations are moving the entrance for the HNL club to right when you get off the elevator/stairs instead of the current location where you have to go around the building and then inside. Now you will be able to walk right in from the elevator/stairs. It is a little bit (10 mins) of a walk to the AA gates but it also gives you one last chance to experience our beautiful paradise. As some of the other posters have mentioned, the AAngels are some of the best in the system.

brp Aug 18, 2009 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 12238226)
Well, it depends on how you qualify for access. If you get access through Amex Platinum card, you won't get in during Qantas hours. If your access is via AC membership, no problem (but bring your AC card, the Qantas staff mans the desk in the morning and can't look up your AC membership on AA's computers).

That's very good to know. I never carry my AC card because it's never needed for AC access based on membership or status. Here's a case where it will be required.

Cheers.

riteshraja Aug 21, 2009 12:56 pm

Glad to see the dog food dispenser's gone from DFW AC. Atleast the ones at C!!