Why do I drop off upgrade list?

Old Aug 16, 09, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl Emerald EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Why do I drop off upgrade list?

I'm a relatively new AA flyer (coming over from UA 1K), so you'll have to bear with me if this is a silly question!

This has happened several times now. I fly LHR-ORD and then onwards ORD-DEN. Well before the flights, I request an upgrade on the ORD-DEN segment online and it shows up as Upgrade Requested on AA.com. The day of the flight, I check in at LHR and my ORD-DEN upgrade has not yet cleared.

I fly LHR-ORD and then head to the gate for ORD-DEN. My name does not appear on the upgrade list on the sign behind the gate agent. I go up, he taps a bit and adds me to the list ... I rarely clear at this stage as just an AA Gold. One time the gate agent said, "Nope, sorry, you're not on the list ... oh, wait a second ... <more typing> hmmm .... <more typing> your upgrade did clear, here you go!"

So ... what happened? Do I drop off the upgrade list after I checked in? Or do I clear the list but the agents can't find me somehow?
Old Aug 16, 09, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
So ... what happened? Do I drop off the upgrade list after I checked in? Or do I clear the list but the agents can't find me somehow?
Hard to say for sure - but it sounds like your upgrade cleared after check in - which is not at all unusual for AA.
Old Aug 16, 09, 5:24 pm
formerly cAAribmorpho

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
I fly LHR-ORD and then head to the gate for ORD-DEN. My name does not appear on the upgrade list on the sign behind the gate agent. I go up, he taps a bit and adds me to the list ... I rarely clear at this stage as just an AA Gold. One time the gate agent said, "Nope, sorry, you're not on the list ... oh, wait a second ... <more typing> hmmm .... <more typing> your upgrade did clear, here you go!"

When you check-in, do you check the "Add me to Airport Upgrade List" (that's probably not the exact name, but something to that effect)? You won't be on the waiting list if you don't do that.

A little earlier this year I forgot to do that on a packed LAX-DFW flight. I looked at the screen, didn't see my name (even though I had requested the upgrade at booking), asked the GA about it, the agent did some quick typing and I appeared at #2 on the list (and got the second-to-last seat, I believe, in F).
Old Aug 16, 09, 5:33 pm

I'm a relatively new AA flyer (coming over from UA 1K), so you'll have to bear with me if this is a silly question!

This has happened several times now. I fly LHR-ORD and then onwards ORD-DEN. Well before the flights, I request an upgrade on the ORD-DEN segment online and it shows up as Upgrade Requested on AA.com. The day of the flight, I check in at LHR and my ORD-DEN upgrade has not yet cleared.
What you should do on trips like these is to ask at the LHR checkin if the agent could please add you to the "gate upgrade list".

From reservation time up until a few hours before departure, you are placed in the upgrade queue for clearing by priority (status, then request time within status) during the appropriate window. After that point, the upgrade list is erased and control passes to the gate. It used to be that transfer between the lists had to be manual, done at the airport, and the gate list was then sorted by status and then check-in time within priority. In recent times, that has been changed. When you check in online, for instance, it is supposed to ask you if you'd like to be carried over to the gate list, and the gate list is supposed to remember something more like the original ordering (read lengthy threads about intermingled priorities of mileage/vip upgraders etc).

Unless you specifically see (at a kiosk, on a trip like yours, for instance) that you have been put on the gate list, assume you have not been and ask a counter agent or admirals club agent to ensure that you are listed. For extra protection, verify your gate list status at the domestic club on arrival at the gateway.
Old Aug 16, 09, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Total Rewards PLT, Starbucks GLD
Originally Posted by cAAribmorpho View Post
When you check-in, do you check the "Add me to Airport Upgrade List" (that's probably not the exact name, but something to that effect)? You won't be on the waiting list if you don't do that.

A little earlier this year I forgot to do that on a packed LAX-DFW flight. I looked at the screen, didn't see my name (even though I had requested the upgrade at booking), asked the GA about it, the agent did some quick typing and I appeared at #2 on the list (and got the second-to-last seat, I believe, in F).
No OLCI for the OP since s/he is originating at LHR.
Old Aug 16, 09, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA PLT (MR Gld; Hertz PC), AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan.
I fly LHR-ORD and then onwards ORD-DEN. Well before the flights, I request an upgrade on the ORD-DEN segment online and it shows up as Upgrade Requested on AA.com. The day of the flight, I check in at LHR and my ORD-DEN upgrade has not yet cleared.

Once you've been upgraded, you're not on the UPGRADE list -- you're on the CLEARED list. Thru pax have priority over originating pax, so maybe you were the 1st on the gold list that day.
Old Aug 16, 09, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by CO FF View Post
Once you've been upgraded, you're not on the UPGRADE list -- you're on the CLEARED list. Thru pax have priority over originating pax, so maybe you were the 1st on the gold list that day.
in that particular case, the upgrade perhaps cleared in the pre-gate list phase, while the LHR-USA flight was in the air. or perhaps the LHR agent in that case was savvy and did the gate list addition manually without being asked.

I've sometimes had instances of asking to be on the gate list at origin, only to find I'm not on it at the connection point. YMMV, but for me it always pays to re-check.

Search this Thread