Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane Season, planes flying?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, CO
Hurricane Season, planes flying?

AA flies one flight out of DOM to SJU daily. Seats are sold out between Tuesday 18th Aug 09 til Sunday the 23rd of Aug 09. After looking at the weather for Wednesday the 19th, there appears that a tropical storm is approaching with 65km/h winds (nhc.noaa.gov, wunderground.com). Knowing that it is a turbo-prop plane, what are the chances that the flight will be canceled? If it is, will AA fly two planes out of DOM? Or am I stuck here until the 24th? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Two planes out of DOM then next day. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by akbans; Aug 14, 2009 at 10:11 am
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
How/if these storms will develop and where they may/may not go is very variable and difficult to predict.

If a tropical storm were to hit, then flights aren't going to be going in/out (turboprop or otherwise). It's really impossible to handicap your odds, but if there is a storm impact, AA will post options to the website to let you change (or perhaps cancel) your ticket. Expect that to happen closer to when it becomes obvious that a storm will hit.

Last edited by ty97; Aug 14, 2009 at 10:11 am Reason: edited for grammar
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Neither one of those invests is even a tropical depression right now, so I wouldn't get too worked up
Old Aug 14, 2009, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, CO
For my own curiosity, what is the maximum windspeed that a turbo-prop like a Dash 8 300 can take off in? Any pilots out there?
Old Aug 14, 2009, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by akbans
For my own curiosity, what is the maximum windspeed that a turbo-prop like a Dash 8 300 can take off in? Any pilots out there?
It's not just speed, but also direction.
A crosswind would be a bit more of a problem than a headwind.
At this point you are trying to predict windspeed and direction 5 days out, and it is only about 65 km/h (~40MPH)
If it becomes a problem, AA will handled it.
I am at a lost of when you are scheduled to fly.
You said they are sold out until the 23 and the weather might be an issue on the 19th.
I will assume you are flying on the 19th.

Sold out doesn't mean there won't be seats. After all, approaching bad weather will cause people to cancel plans. AA would fly 2 planes out if there were 2 planes available and they could fill them. Say, for example, a plane got stuck there. I don't

Of course the only thing I know about windspeed and aircraft is compute Fox Corpen, when I volunteered to play for 2 weeks on the Lady Lex when she was used for training. They were also shooting a movie for the Smithsonian about Corsairs. Some were onboard, and some flew by. However, they didn't take off and land on the carrier deck but it was good watching A6s and A7s do it.

Last edited by mvoight; Aug 14, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.