SNA-SFO/SJC gone as of Nov 18, 2008

 
Old Aug 9, 09, 5:34 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: los angeles, calif.
Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Posts: 7,132
SNA-SFO/SJC gone as of Nov 18, 2008

AA will end Orange County-San Francisco and Orange County-San Jose on November 18th.

The RJ capacity is being reallocated to MIA.
MAH4546 is offline  
Old Aug 9, 09, 5:38 am
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LHR/NYC/DFW/LAX
Programs: AA-EXP 14M, UA-1K, AS-MVP Gold, DL-PL, CO-PL, EK-Gold, BA-Gold, HH-D, SPG-PL
Posts: 403
Smile

What's routes out of Miami will the RJs fly?
TigerWould is offline  
Old Aug 9, 09, 5:57 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SNA/LAX
Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Posts: 1,609
This sucks. Now have to deal with the extra 405 headache. Bay Area gets shafted again. I hated taking WN on those routes. Are they trying to increase LFs on LAX?

What happens to the SNA slots? Are they adding more DFW and ORD flights?

Last edited by SFOJFK; Aug 9, 09 at 5:58 am Reason: asking about slots
SFOJFK is offline  
Old Aug 9, 09, 6:24 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 370
Originally Posted by TigerWould View Post
What's routes out of Miami will the RJs fly?
My guess.

GHB , ELH , TCB in the Bahamas . They start on Nov. 19
anc305 is offline  
Old Aug 9, 09, 6:31 am
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Potomac Falls, VA
Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Posts: 41,108
Originally Posted by SFOJFK View Post
This sucks. Now have to deal with the extra 405 headache. Bay Area gets shafted again. I hated taking WN on those routes. Are they trying to increase LFs on LAX?

What happens to the SNA slots? Are they adding more DFW and ORD flights?
ugh I hate this too but usually as I'll do a MR into SNA (cheaper) via SFO/SJC which adds on to the MR's..
TrojanHorse is offline  
Old Aug 9, 09, 7:38 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Santa Cruz, CA USA
Programs: UA, HH, SPG
Posts: 7,286
First SAN, now SNA. That leaves on LAX from SJC.

AA is totally schizophrenic with regard to its west coast service. Buy Air Cal, then demolish Air Cal's routes. Buy Reno Air, then demolish Reno Air's routes. Build a west coast RJ network, then demolish it. Make up your mind, AA.
JerryFF is offline  
Old Aug 9, 09, 9:53 am
  #7  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,587
Originally Posted by SFOJFK View Post
This sucks. Now have to deal with the extra 405 headache. Bay Area gets shafted again. I hated taking WN on those routes. Are they trying to increase LFs on LAX?
Bay Area definitely gets shafted by AA. That said, I've been taking more and more WN flights out of SJC (SAN, LAS) and have found them to be quite nice. Beats the hell out of RJ flights. The only downside I see is no AA miles, and that's small potatoes.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Aug 9, 09, 12:23 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SJC/SFO & ORD
Programs: AA Platinum/LT Gold(1.3MM current method/1.51MM old method)/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Posts: 1,627
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Bay Area definitely gets shafted by AA. That said, I've been taking more and more WN flights out of SJC (SAN, LAS) and have found them to be quite nice. Beats the hell out of RJ flights. The only downside I see is no AA miles, and that's small potatoes.

Cheers.
I haven't flown any other carrier out of SJC besides AA/AE, but the downside to say taking WN out of SJC to say SNA/LAS is that I'm not so sure how connections (especially baggage) will come through. For example, I fly SJC-SNA-ORD quite a bit. Now it seems I might have trouble with the route-unless I get two tickets and clear security, re-check my baggage ect.

SFO hasn't received the "ole' shaft" as much as SJC has. SJC is basically completely "taken down" as far as American Airlines/Eagle is concerned. I'm not even so sure I'm going to renew my AAmiral's Club when it comes time for renewal.

The days of AA flying to NRT, TPE, CDG, SEA, SAN, SNA, AUS, LAS, JFK and 5x/ORD (I probably missed a couple of routes) out of SJC are gone/going....

Now its basically down to ORD, DFW and LAX....what a damn shame AA/AE.
Jacobin777 is offline  
Old Aug 9, 09, 12:50 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,726
Originally Posted by Jacobin777 View Post
I haven't flown any other carrier out of SJC besides AA/AE, but the downside to say taking WN out of SJC to say SNA/LAS is that I'm not so sure how connections (especially baggage) will come through. For example, I fly SJC-SNA-ORD quite a bit. Now it seems I might have trouble with the route-unless I get two tickets and clear security, re-check my baggage ect.
Since either AA or WN can get you SJC-ORD/MDW nonstop quite easily (not to mention dozens upon dozens of connection options), I'm not sure why this complication is an issue .
HeadInTheClouds is offline  
Old Aug 9, 09, 1:07 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: SNA, LAX
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,291
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Bay Area definitely gets shafted by AA. That said, I've been taking more and more WN flights out of SJC (SAN, LAS) and have found them to be quite nice. Beats the hell out of RJ flights. The only downside I see is no AA miles, and that's small potatoes.

Cheers.
I would not mind WN flights if they changed to a more humane boarding process. Their process certainly feels like being herded like cattle.

As for AA cancelling SNA-SFO/SJC it makes absolutely no sense. Very disappointed.
riteshraja is offline  
Old Aug 9, 09, 1:19 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,630
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
AA will end Orange County-San Francisco and Orange County-San Jose on November 18th.

The RJ capacity is being reallocated to MIA.
Something is really wrong with the AA business plan when they can not compete with WN by using AE.
zman is offline  
Old Aug 9, 09, 1:27 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA, Europe
Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Posts: 839
Well that didn't take very long...

Originally Posted by zman View Post
Something is really wrong with the AA business plan when they can not compete with WN by using AE.
Except in this case, it's VX in addition to WN.
i_fly_AA is offline  
Old Aug 9, 09, 2:34 pm
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 208
this SUCKS. i am SO glad i saw this coming and started switching from AA last year. now i have status on both ua and aa, so it helps. but still there is NO way to get sjc to sna anymore except WN. ack. that means no F seats on that route sucks! so sad that none of the legacies can compete w/WN and in the long run they will all be gone. all this lifetime status we've worked so hard for is going to be useless in the near future.
fly22much is offline  
Old Aug 9, 09, 2:38 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 35,273
Originally Posted by anc305 View Post
My guess.

GHB , ELH , TCB in the Bahamas . They start on Nov. 19
Yeah, there is so much more new routes for MIA-CHS/TYS, too.
N830MH is offline  
Old Aug 9, 09, 2:47 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: los angeles, calif.
Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Posts: 7,132
Originally Posted by anc305 View Post
My guess.

GHB , ELH , TCB in the Bahamas . They start on Nov. 19
Those are ATR routes.

MIA-CHS/TYS start November 19th and AA is soliciting proposals from airports in the Southeast for MIA service, so a few more will hopefully be added as well.
MAH4546 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: