Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SNA-SFO/SJC gone as of Nov 18, 2008

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
First UA then AA. Just as the airport looks to be getting rid of its slummy facilities, nobody is left to fill it except WN. Hopefully AA doesn't completely drop those ORD flights. It is too bad UA couldn't even keep one going. But then when you have SFO up the freeway about 45 minutes without traffic, it's tough.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
SJC-LAX is safe, IMO, because of LAX.

LAX will see growth when the economy turns around. I really see AA making LAX a true hub operation in the next 4-6 years. They have already surpassed UA as the largest airline at LAX (excluding regional operations) and, AA/MQ combine for having the largest share of passenger revenue at LAX (despite UA/UX being larger). Of course, that being said, this is all depending on gate space becoming available, but AA has first opportunity for new gates at T5 and TBIT. T5 is connected to T4 within security by a tunnel, which is currently closed but could be re-opened quickly.
I saw the construction at TBIT; it's a mess! Are they building new gates at T5, or are there vacancies due?
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 1.93MM+, UA Gold, SWA Comp Pass, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
I'd be sad to see these flights go, but I gave up on AA long ago for west coast flights from SNA... Once they switched to 100% Eagle I moved my business to SWA and now VX. I'm not a big fan of SWA, but they are fine for short hops and better than flying an RJ. Yeah, I don't get my 1000 miles/trip any more, but it was never really a factor for my EQM's anyhow.
Being 6'3", getting packed into an RJ was never something I looked forward to so I moved my business to WN when there were no other MD or 73 options. When I was just doing West Coast business, I actually made PLT on segments so it was a benefit to me. As for SJC, which has many more flights than SNA, the airport was a dump. I know they're making improvements but the master plan was outdated the day it was approved.

Now SJC can fight for volume with SFO and OAK, as fewer carriers seem willing for fight for their turf.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:25 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by chipshot4me
I know they're making improvements but the master plan was outdated the day it was approved.
I'm going to have to take exception to this part. Having lived through (and continuing to do so) the changes, I have to say that they're quite refreshing, and not particularly outdated. No, it's not the new terminal 4 in MAD, but it's becoming something nicer than either SFO (barring the international terminal) or OAK. Plus, the convenience of access, parking and getting around is fabulous.

The flight offering for AA is a different story...

Cheers.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 9:58 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 1.93MM+, UA Gold, SWA Comp Pass, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by brp
I'm going to have to take exception to this part. Having lived through (and continuing to do so) the changes, I have to say that they're quite refreshing, and not particularly outdated. No, it's not the new terminal 4 in MAD, but it's becoming something nicer than either SFO (barring the international terminal) or OAK. Plus, the convenience of access, parking and getting around is fabulous.

The flight offering for AA is a different story...

Cheers.
As being a local, I defer to your opinion as you've seen the incremental changes first-hand. As for my experience, I think back to when the rental cars were in the lower garage at terminal A. The delays were horrendous for those of us returning home (e.g. renters just parked their car on the grassy area surrounding the garage entry and abandoned it prior to check-in). Once inside the terminal - the security lines extended into the parking garage in terminal A. Once beyond security, the majority of rush hour boarding lines extended in serpentine fashion and all directions, which impacted the local concessions.

I compare this to SNA, which has always been capacity constrained (# of flights) but was built to accommodate a much larger flight volume. I made the comment specific to the master plan based upon these experiences and observations. It seemed to me they didn't anticipate the level of GROWTH for terminal A, although the surrounding infrastructure (off ramps and thoroughfares) have come a long way. Keep up the good work!

How close are they to fixing the rental car facility? I'd heard they were moving it to the other side (Coleman exit?) and connecting with a tramway instead of those horrible buses.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:10 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As being a local, I defer to your opinion as you've seen the incremental changes first-hand. As for my experience, I think back to when the rental cars were in the lower garage at terminal A. The delays were horrendous for those of us returning home (e.g. renters just parked their car on the grassy area surrounding the garage entry and abandoned it prior to check-in). Once inside the terminal - the security lines extended into the parking garage in terminal A. Once beyond security, the majority of rush hour boarding lines extended in serpentine fashion and all directions, which impacted the local concessions.
I remember those times, too. It hasn't been that bad for a while, and the current changes make improvements. A while back they added an express security area for Terminal A in the international terminal "exit." This is for folks with no checked bags. Now they're adding wider security lanes in the main Terminal A. Assuming TSA staffs appropriately, this will be an improvement.

How close are they to fixing the rental car facility? I'd heard they were moving it to the other side (Coleman exit?) and connecting with a tramway instead of those horrible buses.
Given how often I rent at SJC (I have actually rented minivans on a couple of occasions when family are in town,though ) I wasn't even aware that they were doing this. They are building what I thought was a parking structure over by the current Terminal C. Maybe this is for Rental Cars?

Cheers.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Once beyond security, the majority of rush hour boarding lines extended in serpentine fashion and all directions, which impacted the local concessions.
Not to mention the lines to some of the concessions that were in the seating area on the opposite side of the main walkway. I haven't been to SJC in a couple of months now, but does the extension have competition in the concessions? I remember the single previous bar as getting away with worse than indifferent service which I always ascribed to the total lack of competition.

Last edited by bernardd; Aug 13, 2009 at 10:35 am
Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:14 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bernardd
Not to mention the lines to some of the concessions that were in the seating area on the opposite side of the main walkway. I haven't been to SJC in a couple of months now, but does the extension have competition in the concessions? I remember the single previous bar as getting away with worse than indifferent service which I always ascribed to the total lack of competition.
There is now a Gordon Biersch in the "old" section of terminal A, and a Shark Cage in the "new" section. This is in the Terminal B part, but it's labeled as A, with gates currently going to gate 22, and indications of gates up to A40.

The new concourse section is very nice, with a lot of apparent business expansion planned.

Cheers.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:19 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update on SJC AC

We just stopped by on the way to this GoGo-equipped flight and I got some information from one of the AAngels.

The club is secure, "as long as AA are still there." While that seems questionable to me with the cutbacks, they're at least secure for about 3 or so more years of the current lease. In fact, she was saying that there will be some expansion and improvement, although I didn't get specifics.

She also said that the current cuts are being viewed as a "hunkering down" sort of response as opposed to a sense of finality. Of course, all remains to be seen, but it was an encouraging conversation even though AC AAngels are not privy to most of the inner details.

Cheers.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: United 1k, American Executive Platinum, Hyatt - Diamond Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
I will most likely be taking my last SNA -- SJC trip today. I am going to miss this flight. =(
Old Aug 14, 2009, 2:23 pm

Working in the tech industry, the comment about "early adopters" is definitely true. I am routinely in situations where a teleconference, video conference, or "telepresence" meeting is arranged that would have been a trip up to SJC even 2 years ago. Also like most corporations our "lowest fare" rule is being strictly enforced. Since a lot of biz travel between OC and the Bay Area is booked less than a week in advance and often inside 24h, WN wins on the last-minute fares.

The question of unused slots at SNA is a good one. The demise of AQ opened slots which WN and VX have partly filled. AC went as far as doing noise certification flights but has yet to take any action. They obviously don't feel any "use it or lose it" pressure. Now with AA reducing service and the DL/NW merger presumably causing more cuts, it will be interesting!

Fortunately AS flights accrue AAdvantage miles, both AS flights and codeshares. They do a good job up and down the coast; financial press speculates they are a good takeover target by AA. Let's hope not, AA has killed enough West Coast carriers already!
Old Aug 14, 2009, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kenish
Working in the tech industry, the comment about "early adopters" is definitely true. I am routinely in situations where a teleconference, video conference, or "telepresence" meeting is arranged that would have been a trip up to SJC even 2 years ago. Also like most corporations our "lowest fare" rule is being strictly enforced. Since a lot of biz travel between OC and the Bay Area is booked less than a week in advance and often inside 24h, WN wins on the last-minute fares.

The question of unused slots at SNA is a good one. The demise of AQ opened slots which WN and VX have partly filled. AC went as far as doing noise certification flights but has yet to take any action. They obviously don't feel any "use it or lose it" pressure. Now with AA reducing service and the DL/NW merger presumably causing more cuts, it will be interesting!

Fortunately AS flights accrue AAdvantage miles, both AS flights and codeshares. They do a good job up and down the coast; financial press speculates they are a good takeover target by AA. Let's hope not, AA has killed enough West Coast carriers already!
benefits of AA takeover: we can upgrade
downside: within 10 years, the routes will be gone
Old Aug 14, 2009, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT/1.9MM
Originally Posted by brp
We just stopped by on the way to this GoGo-equipped flight and I got some information from one of the AAngels.

The club is secure, "as long as AA are still there." While that seems questionable to me with the cutbacks, they're at least secure for about 3 or so more years of the current lease. In fact, she was saying that there will be some expansion and improvement, although I didn't get specifics.

She also said that the current cuts are being viewed as a "hunkering down" sort of response as opposed to a sense of finality. Of course, all remains to be seen, but it was an encouraging conversation even though AC AAngels are not privy to most of the inner details.

Cheers.
I'm wondering about the SNA AC, now that SNA is down to just a handful of flights to Dallas and Chicago. I can't imagine they'll be keeping that around much longer...
Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by Jumpcut
I'm wondering about the SNA AC, now that SNA is down to just a handful of flights to Dallas and Chicago. I can't imagine they'll be keeping that around much longer...
There are tons of flights to other cities such as PDX, SEA, ANC via AS. Given how easy it is to get from the AAdmirals Club to AS gates, I think there are more than enough pax, flights, etc. to justify the AAdmirals Club @ SNA...IMHO of course...

Personally, I've used the AAdmirals Club @ SNA a bunch of times when I was flying on AS out of SNA....
Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by fly22much
benefits of AA takeover: we can upgrade
downside: within 10 years, the routes will be gone
Given the history of AA with AirCal and Reno Air, I doubt it would take 10 years - more like 1 or 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.