Wiki Posts
Search

Joining separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2009, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Joining separate tickets

From reading some thread on missed connections and AA responsiblity, I have a question about how to best handle two separate tickets. I have one ticket to get me from SEA-JFK. I then have a JFK-GIG roundtrip booked. Is there any way to 'join' these two tickets so that (1) AA will work with me on any missed connections and (2) I don't have to re-check myself & my bags in JFK between flights?
Old Aug 7, 2009, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
If both segments are on AA metal (or partner) then AA will check your bags in at SEA for GIG (no hassle at JFK).

You used to be able to join them years ago, but now I don’t know if they charge (as EXP the fee should be waived for you…I hope), or it is just notation in the records so they point to each other. Call the EXP desk here.

AA will work with you on missed connections if they are both AA and you are EXP. I have done this with AA/BA plenty of times and no issues.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
From reading some thread on missed connections and AA responsiblity, I have a question about how to best handle two separate tickets. I have one ticket to get me from SEA-JFK. I then have a JFK-GIG roundtrip booked. Is there any way to 'join' these two tickets so that (1) AA will work with me on any missed connections and (2) I don't have to re-check myself & my bags in JFK between flights?
Call up AA and have then link the record locators
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the help guys. All set now!
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
Thanks for the help guys. All set now!
What did u do, to get the ALL SET
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by zman
What did u do, to get the ALL SET
I'd love to know that, too, as I'm in a similar situation next weekend. Going DFW-LGA then JFK-ZRH on two separate tix. I have roughly a three hour connection time, no checked bags, but I assumed I was on my own as far as making my ZRH flight?

I'm PLT, not EXP. Is there really some way to get protected on this?
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:54 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
I was just about to post something like this - More related questions

how do you call them and get them to link the two PNRs? Can any agent do this? Will linking the PNRs waive the checked bag fees on the domestic segment, assuming you have no status?

Also, the other way around, can an AA partner check luggage through to an AA domestic segment, and not collect baggage fees on it? For example, LH FRA-ORD ==> AA ORD-BOS, on separate tickets.

Also, has anyone ever tried this (checking luggage through, that is) with THREE separate tickets, all on AA/partners with whom AA has interline ticketing and baggage agreements?

Here is the list of interline agreements that AA has. It mentions only e-ticketing, specifically, but I also assume it pertains to baggage.

Last edited by Mr. Bean; Aug 8, 2009 at 12:13 am
Old Aug 8, 2009, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
how do you call them and get them to link the two PNRs? Can any agent do this? Will linking the PNRs waive the checked bag fees on the domestic segment, assuming you have no status?

Also, the other way around, can an AA partner check luggage through to an AA domestic segment, and not collect baggage fees on it? For example, LH FRA-ORD ==> AA ORD-BOS, on separate tickets.

Also, has anyone ever tried this (checking luggage through, that is) with THREE separate tickets, all on AA/partners with whom AA has interline ticketing and baggage agreements?

Here is the list of interline agreements that AA has. It mentions only e-ticketing, specifically, but I also assume it pertains to baggage.
Any telephone agent can link PNRs. I don't know whether this would waive the checked baggage fees domestically - I suspect it would, but it is up to agent interpretation as to whether you are flying an international itinerary or an international itinerary and a domestic itinerary.

An international partner can check baggage through to an AA domestic segment. Again, I don't know about the baggage fee, strongly suspect you wouldn't pay it.

You can check baggage through any number of AA partners, as long as you have legal connections. AA has baggage agreements with all its partners and with many other airlines as well.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
Any telephone agent can link PNRs. I don't know whether this would waive the checked baggage fees domestically - I suspect it would, but it is up to agent interpretation as to whether you are flying an international itinerary or an international itinerary and a domestic itinerary.

An international partner can check baggage through to an AA domestic segment. Again, I don't know about the baggage fee, strongly suspect you wouldn't pay it.

You can check baggage through any number of AA partners, as long as you have legal connections. AA has baggage agreements with all its partners and with many other airlines as well.
Thanks for answering. I'm really hoping someone from AA can give their 2 cents (or perhaps the official policy).

I have the 3 tickets trip coming up in October. AA ==> LX ==> 9W, all of whom have interline agreements with each other.

The LX ticket is on AA stock, with AA and LX PNRs (although it's all one ticket number). I can see the LX segments on aa.com when I enter my AA PNR for the middle ticket. By linking the first two tickets, I'm hoping it will be easier for the TA to check all the way through to 9W when I check-in my baggage. I don't know if it would work with 3 unlinked tickets.

I'm looking for advice/suggestions from anyone who may have already done something like this, before I head out on this trip and will I post back my experience at the airport.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by gemac

My situation is a bit different only in that the separate segments are both on MX. I wanted to book an award CTM-MEX-LAX, but the CTM (Chetumal)-MEX segment wasn't available because the award inventory for the dates I need hasn't been loaded yet. So, now I booked my AAward with a MEX-LAX segment on MX. If/when later on the CTM-MEX segment becomes available for AAwards, will it work to book it as a separate segment and link the 2 PNRs? Would MX protect me in case of irrops with CTM-MEX? Also, if I wanted to change my current AAward to include CTM-MEX in the same itinerary, the tix would need to be reissued, right? And for that to happen, do I need to cancel the whole itinerary, redeposit miles, and start from scratch?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by honu
Would MX protect me in case of irrops with CTM-MEX?
If it is MX to MX, MX SHOULD protect you even if on seperate PNRs...but I am not familiar with MX vs. AA's policy.

Originally Posted by honu
Also, if I wanted to change my current AAward to include CTM-MEX in the same itinerary, the tix would need to be reissued, right? And for that to happen, do I need to cancel the whole itinerary, redeposit miles, and start from scratch?
Yes, cancel, pay redposit fee (if not EXP) and reissue. Just make sure when they drop the ticketed MEX to LAX legs they go back to the award inventory bucket and not disappear into the black hole of the inventory bucket.

The best way to do this is try to book a seperate CTM - MEX - LAX in a different PNR. Once you got it, hold it. Cancel the other one, redpoist the miles and then reticket to the one you are holding.

Good luck

Last edited by dstan; Aug 12, 2009 at 11:54 am Reason: fixed broken quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 6:21 am

Thanks miles_navigator. I think I'll just get a separate CTM-MEX segment (either as an award or as a purchased ticket) as I am 150% sure that I wouldn't be able to rebook the full award itinerary I have now.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Prem, DL Plat, CO Plat, Torrid Diva,Rascal House (free cookies!), TWA Ambassador 183506503
have them combined at check in. tell the agent four FINAL destination. they should do the rest
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:46 pm

I just called AA Reservations and tried to get the two AA record locators linked. The first agent said she didn't know what I was talking about, then when I repeated myself, she transferred me to "International" (I don't know what that is). The guy at "International" told me there was no way to link two record locators once they were booked separately.

Going to call back, probably the same number, then try with an elite line if it doesn't work.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:55 pm

Called back, got a different agent - presto. She put in notes on both PNRs that there were connecting flights. I'll have to see if they can tag on the third ticket at the airport (non-AA stock). I assume it shouldn't be a problem now.

Not sure about the return situation, though. I doubt 9W will through check, so I'll probably have to through check with LX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.