Multi Leg baggage fees

Old Aug 7, 09, 12:46 am
Formerly known as billinaz
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Multi Leg baggage fees

Im in F from PHX-DFW then on to LIT on AE. I know I wont pay a baggage fee on this trip, but what about on the return? Im in F on DFW-PHX but obviously not from LIT-DFW....
Old Aug 7, 09, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by billinaz View Post
Im in F from PHX-DFW then on to LIT on AE. I know I wont pay a baggage fee on this trip, but what about on the return? Im in F on DFW-PHX but obviously not from LIT-DFW....
Assuming you booked a first class trip on one PNR from PHX-DFW-LIT, the fon you wouldn't pay the fee for the first 2 bags. What booking class does you coach seat show up as?
Old Aug 7, 09, 1:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
What About Change of Airport?

Let me ask this question.

I am going DFW/LGA. Then, crossing town to JFK to do JFK/HEL/PEK (all on one PNR). I will be checking 4 bags and I know they are overweight. I am fine paying the fee. The question is...

I pay the fee at DFW for DFW/LGA. When I claim the bags at LGA and then haul them over to JFK, will I have to re-pay the fee again for the JFK/HEL/PEK leg? This portion is on Finnair...

Thanks!
Old Aug 7, 09, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AAExpDFW View Post
Let me ask this question.

I am going DFW/LGA. Then, crossing town to JFK to do JFK/HEL/PEK (all on one PNR). I will be checking 4 bags and I know they are overweight. I am fine paying the fee. The question is...

I pay the fee at DFW for DFW/LGA. When I claim the bags at LGA and then haul them over to JFK, will I have to re-pay the fee again for the JFK/HEL/PEK leg? This portion is on Finnair...

Thanks!
You will not be charged a baggage fee at DFW or JFK. You are on an international itinerary. On AA.com, it clearly states in the exceptions to the baggage fee: "Customers originating travel in the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada and traveling to an international destination beyond the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada".
Old Aug 7, 09, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by gemac View Post
You will not be charged a baggage fee at DFW or JFK. You are on an international itinerary. On AA.com, it clearly states in the exceptions to the baggage fee: "Customers originating travel in the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada and traveling to an international destination beyond the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico or Canada".
Did you miss the part where AAExpDFW said he had 4 bags, and they were overweight?

AA.com:
Travel to/through/from Asia :
Two bags checked. No charge
62 in/157 cm (checked)
50 lbs/23 kgs (checked)

Over 50 lbs/23 kgs but less than 70 lbs/32 kgs - is subject to a $50 USD overweight baggage charge (Maximum of three excess pieces will be accepted.)

71 lbs/32 kgs - 100 lbs/45.5 kg is subject to a $450 USD charge.
Old Aug 7, 09, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Exactly...I know they are overweight. I know I owe the fees...no big deal. The big deal is if I pay for my fees in DFW and then again at JFK. Anyone been through that before?
Old Aug 7, 09, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they charge you the extra bags and the excess weight on the International flight rate chart, then they should not charge you again at JFK, one would think.

Can AA issues a receipt to show the details of the baggage charges?
Old Aug 7, 09, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
If they charge you the extra bags and the excess weight on the International flight rate chart, then they should not charge you again at JFK, one would think.

Can AA issues a receipt to show the details of the baggage charges?
The potential problem is that he is changing carriers, in addition to airports.
Old Aug 8, 09, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by swag View Post
Did you miss the part where AAExpDFW said he had 4 bags, and they were overweight?

AA.com:
Oops. My bad. Teach me to post before finishing my first cup of coffee.

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
The potential problem is that he is changing carriers, in addition to airports.
AA can issue a receipt for the baggage charge. Finnair should accept that and not charge another baggage charge, as they would not have charged an additional charge if he had flown into JFK instead of LGA.
Old Aug 8, 09, 12:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 1MM+, Marriot Platinum, Avis First
Question -
My mom is scheduled to fly SJU-JFK-LHR-CPH. She's F in the first leg and waitlisted in the second leg. She has no status but her reservation is linked to mine's. Will she have to pay baggage fees at SJU?
Old Aug 8, 09, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moyrani View Post
Question -
My mom is scheduled to fly SJU-JFK-LHR-CPH. She's F in the first leg and waitlisted in the second leg. She has no status but her reservation is linked to mine's. Will she have to pay baggage fees at SJU?
She is on an international reservation. First 2 bags are free. It has nothing to do with your status, her status, or her class of travel.
This information is published at aa.com.
Old Aug 8, 09, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by gemac View Post
AA can issue a receipt for the baggage charge. Finnair should accept that and not charge another baggage charge, as they would not have charged an additional charge if he had flown into JFK instead of LGA.
Not that it matters to the pax, but this makes me curious. In a case like this, does AA make some payment later to Finnair for the bags? I'm curious how the bag revenue would get split up.
Old Aug 8, 09, 5:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 1MM+, Marriot Platinum, Avis First
Got it. Thanks.

Search this Thread