How far in advance can you book an Award ticket with miles?

Old Jan 1, 12, 6:23 am
Suspended

AA is not running "behind" on releasing award seats. Once the 330-day booking window is reached, they can release them at any time (or never).
Old Jan 1, 12, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
But if you book it over the phone, don't you have to pay extra (I think $20) to ticket it? Or can you retrieve the phone-booked res yourself on line and ticket it yourself for free? (this if obviously for those of us who are not XPL).
You can put it on hold (5-day hold normally), then ticket it online.
Old Jan 1, 12, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA, BA
Originally Posted by Austinrunner View Post
AA is not running "behind" on releasing award seats. Once the 330-day booking window is reached, they can release them at any time (or never).
I understand that can release them at any time. But, as I've attempted to get tickets for Nov. 16 for the last two weeks, I've noticed that they are actually releasing Milesaaver tickets at the 320 day mark. DFW to LIH, HNL, ORD, NYC, SFO, LAX, they're all available beginning 320 days ahead.
Old Jan 2, 12, 1:07 am
Suspended

No "rule" can be gleaned from those observations. Anytime or never is the answer for any flight.
Old Jan 2, 12, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA bronze
No "rule" can be gleaned from those observations. Anytime or never is the answer for any flight.
I've no doubt that you're correct that AA can release seats anytime (within 331 days) or never. However, on the route that I'm watching I'm seeing exactly the same pattern that kentleytx describes. Each day Milesaaver seats are released for an additional day, always 320 days ahead.

I'm not saying that this is a general rule that can be applied to all routes or at all times but at the moment it seems to give a good guide as to when Milesaaver seats are likely to be available on several routes.
Old Jan 2, 12, 9:59 pm

I'm having the same issue is you Alvador. Over three weeks ago I was able to book a series of 3 flight 330 days out. I have yet to be able to book the return flights which are for 10 days later. Not a huge issue, but time consuming as I keep having to check back every day just in case they all of a sudden become available.

http://pintsizepilot.com
Old Jan 2, 12, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Subscribe to Expert Flyer and set an alert. Easy as pie.
Old Jan 3, 12, 6:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
I agree. There should be certain ground rules in place. If I'm willing to stay up past midnight to get the flights I want, I should be rewarded with same. To expect me to stay up past midnight every night for 3 weeks is just not right.
Old Jan 4, 12, 10:32 pm

Subscribe to Expert Flyer and set an alert. Easy as pie.
I took a peek at the website, but it seems unclear to me. Are you saying that Expert Flyer will tell you when AA seats become available to the Avios program? I can see that it would tell me when AA seats become available on the AA website, but the issue is with the seats being released through Avios.
Old Jan 5, 12, 12:01 am
Suspended

If you want information about the BA mileage program, then you should be posting in the BA forum, not here.
Old Jan 5, 12, 12:53 pm
Company Representative - ExpertFlyer.com

Originally Posted by thetraveltot View Post
I took a peek at the website, but it seems unclear to me. Are you saying that Expert Flyer will tell you when AA seats become available to the Avios program? I can see that it would tell me when AA seats become available on the AA website, but the issue is with the seats being released through Avios.
ExpertFlyer can alert you when AA award inventory is made available by AA. Up until recently, that always meant they were available to BA as well. However BA started blocking some partner award inventory late last year.

That aside, the Flight Alert would still be helpful because knowing if a flight went from 0 to >0 from AA's point of view means you at least know if there is a chance at redeeming the flight from BA.
Old Jan 5, 12, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Back in the old days there were ALWAYS black-out dates around holidays, and not just Thanksgiving and Christmas, many holidays throughout the year.

Search this Thread